“Wonderful hotel, service, but beware of "incidental charges."” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Indianapolis

You added JW Marriott Indianapolis to your Saves list
JW Marriott Indianapolis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 South West Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204 (Downtown Indianapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #6 of 184 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Indy
“Wonderful hotel, service, but beware of "incidental charges."”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

My husband and I visited this hotel/city as a late Valentine's Day celebration. The hotel just opened a few months ago. Rooms are very nice-large and comfortable with large windows. Comfortable chairs, desk area, flat screen TV, large closet. Bathroom was large with nice amenities. We had an upper room with views of White River State Park and the White River. Service was wonderful-from the clerk at the front desk through everyone we ran into until check out. All were very helpful, asking how we liked our stay, smiles...very much appreciated.

Location was near several attractions-Indiana State Museum was across the street and within walking distance. Indy Zoo, White River Gardens, & Victory Field are all very close.
We didn't use Internet or any other services. Valet/parking is available on site, but is $28 for regular parking/$32 for valet. There is a parking garage across the street connected to the hotel by a skywalk that is available for less than half the price that we utilized.

We had breakfast in the Osteria Pronto restaurant-also very nice. Lots of the regular breakfast fare plus a made to order omelet bar. Lots of fresh fruit, danish...great assortment all around. And again, service was great. Very attentive without being overbearing.

My only complaint about this hotel was the bill....a $50 "incidental fee" was tacked on to the bill when we checked in to cover damages or extras. No mention of this on the confirmation or at check in. Was assured it would be removed and credited to my card within a week. Suggested that they might want to mention this somewhere along the way so it's not a surprise when you check out.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for a downtown Indy visit.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

In January we reserves a Club Level Guest Room, with a City View on the top floor. $455 after tax The room was booked on the jwindy.com website and claimed it had access to a Lounge where complimentary snacks, sodas, and breakfast could be found. I received a confirmation and have a copy on hand.

I received a reminder confirmation the day before my check in date. I did not review it, since I had before. The confirmation number is the same and so is the $455 price tag. However upon arrival to the JW Indy... I was told the best available was on the 29th floor with a "Park View" the view was not what we reserves, the room was not located where we had booked it to be, We did not receive access to any lounge and breakfeast was an additional $16 a person. Not to mention.... The price tag remained the same! I have yet to get an answer as to how. The staff was polite and friendly, but it was obvious that they hotel is new and so was the staff. I'm trying to get better contact informatio, but want folks to CHECK YOUR CONFIRMATION!

Don't get me wrong! THIS IS A GORGEOUS BRAND NEW HOTEL AND THE STAFF IS VERY FRIENDLY! THE LOCATION IS PERFECT AND THE BEDS COMFY. BUT SOME HOW MY CONFIRMATION WAS CHANGED WITH OUT MY DISCRETION AND I WAS STILL CHARGED THE SAME. PLEASE BE CAUTIOUS WITH YOUR OWN RESERVATION.\

OH AND WE WERE CHARGED FOR PARKING, WHEN WE HAD NO CAR.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

Stayed overnight in conjunction with a conference that was on-site at the JW. Great convention space with assistance as I arrived in the parking garage below the hotel. Many staff helping with directions, etc. The catered meals at the JW were very good. The The hotel room was well appointed and comfortable. Nice views overlooking the baseball park downtown. Convenient to the downtown area without going outside through the elevated walkways connecting to downtown. The only area of concern was the noise from the heating and air conditioning system in the hotel room. The noise reminded of the through the wall units found in the economy hotels. Hope they can address this issue.

Elkhart, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

Excellent service:
- Every single employee we encountered was smiling and helpful, from valet parking to the door man, concierge, front desk employees, and concierge lounge employees. Jennifer at the front desk (she was from Elkhart, IN) was incredible. She even sent a chocolate treat up to our room in celebration of my husband's birthday.

Great views:
- Our room was on the top floor (33rd floor). We could see the state capitol building, Lucas Oil Stadium and all of the downtown buildings. Our friends were on the other side of the hallway and their room overlooked the baseball stadium, White River Park, the Zoo and a memorial park.

Concierge lounge:
- This was a nice treat that we were not expecting. The lounge was huge with lots of TVs to watch the March Madness games. The drinks were plentiful. Non-alcohol drinks at no charge; the charge for alcohol was a bit more than at the downtown bars and it's on a honor bar system, where you write down what you drink and they charge your room. If you're a Diet Coke fan, you'll have to pack your own as they only have Pepsi flavors for soft drinks. They offered a large breakfast selection (eggs, bacon, waffles, breads, cereals, etc.) at no charge. Overall, the lounge was a great place to hang out with our friends and offered a great view of the city. And, it has free wifi if you bring your laptop or tablet, and also has several desktop computers for guests to use while in the lounge.

Comfortable room:
- Same comfortable bedding as other Marriott hotels. Fluffy towels and bathrobe. Wonderful smelling soaps and shampoos. Lighted magnifying mirror in the bath. Huge shower with overhead and wall showerheads.

We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting downtown Indy.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

I thought the JW was to Marriott what the Conrad is to Hilton but I didn't find that to be the case. The hotel is massive and very state of the art with every bell and whistle you can buy today but I just thought it would be more plush and opulent. If you were blindfolded and put in a hotel room you would think you were at any nice upper scale full service hotel, including their full service Marriott sister hotel down the street.
Service was pretty good except for I also experienced the problem with the key system which I was ok with, even though unlike another reviewer I did not get a nice note or any sort of turndown service for my inconvenience. However there was one problem with not having a key and that was gaining true access to the workout facilities. At check-in I asked about gaining access without a key and was told just to come back to the desk and they would let me in, ok no problem, but what they didn't say was that once you are inside of the exercise complex you need a key to move around freely. Without a key I couldn't even get in the women’s locker room to use the facilities. Why the place is locked down like Fort Knox inside the exercise room I have no idea but if you have a key you probably wouldn’t notice the inconvenience. On the plus side the equipment is all state of the art and plentiful!
Aside from the key issue and my coffee/tea amenities in my room not being replenished during my stay everything else was fine. Employees were courteous and friendly. Lobby bar has a nice atmosphere with a drink menu that is fun and creative. I highly recommend the basil lime gimlet for a refreshing treat!
Once they work through the opening hiccups they should be fine, but I'm still not sure the value is there for the hype I’ve heard over JW’s elsewhere.

detroit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

Check in was quick and easy, there was a minor glitch with their computer system so they could not get room keys issued but they had a hotel staff person take me to my room. They called shortly and dropped off room key and during turn down service they left a little popcorn treat and a card to apologize for the room key glitch earlier which was not a big deal, but I appreciated the gesture. The hotel and restaurant staff (Ate at High Velocity) was very attentive and friendly. LOVED the floor to ceiling windows, had a high floor room with great views. The fitness center was the best of the hotel gyms in the area and the hot tub was great!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

Well done, JW! I felt welcomed and enjoyed my visit very much. The Executive Lounge was great and the staff was extremely friendly. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott Indianapolis? Share your experiences!