“Caution” 2 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Indianapolis
DeWolf Allerdice House
Save Saved
You added DeWolf Allerdice House to your Saves list
1224 North Park Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46202   |
Ranked #15 of 21 Indianapolis B&B and Inns
South Bend, Indiana
“Caution”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Pros: The house is beautiful, is in a lovely neighborhood, and there is a sauna and hot tub. Cons: The entire house smells like smoke, the owners don't seem to know how to present a professional atmosphere, and we were never offered the use of the hot tub or sauna. In fact, when we arrived, they seemed a bit put out by our presence. We did not receive a tour or explanation of how things worked, which is standard at B&B's. We were just presented with a check that was larger than the agreed upon amount over the phone. Breakfast was beautifully presented, but frankly not very good. There was a potato casserole that I actually couldn't figure out what one of the ingredients was, and I'm a foodie. It was inedible. The hosts were pleasant but completely unhelpful. They had no extra toiletries and the rooms don't come with anything like shampoo or conditioner, something else that is usually standard in B&Bs. In short, for the money, the experience was just not up to snuff. Book elsewhere.

Room Tip: Suite on top floor is nice, but if you have more than two staying there, they'll charge you extr...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

Hosts were more than welcoming and breakfasts were great, varied Room was nice and spacious

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Indianapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

I only wish I had read the other reviews before making the reservations and staying there. My husband and I enjoy B & B's and had frequently passed this one, so decided to book it for our anniversary. The neighborhood is lovely, and the house has been restored with beautifull antiques and quality bedding. What we experienced in no way reconciles with their glowing web site about gourmet food and owners who provide caring service to their guests. The minute I walked in the house I smelled the cigarette smoke, which only got worse in our upstairs room. I still have a horrible migraine from sleeping around it. Their web site also mentions refreshments and snacks - none of those were seen nor mentioned. In the bathroom or bedroom, no cups or glasses were provided - and let's face it - most of us take meds or just want a drink of water sometime in the night. There was one tiny sliver of soap to be used for both sink and shower. I will say that the towels were plentiful and of good quality. For breakfast, we each received a tiny portion of grapefruit and a small slice of an egg caserole. Both were tasty - but not at all fitting the description on their web site of gourmet food - and certainly not comparable to most B & B's in our experience. Maybe the owners started this project with better intentions and execution, but they now seem to be trying to collect the same fees for the minimum food and service. I am just so disappointed and mad at myself for not thinking to check Trip Advisor, since I live in the area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

The smell of cigarettes was overpowering! I never would have thought that an Inn Keeper would smoke in the house. The sheets and towels were loaded with smoke odor.

The owner was also a bit creepy. She spoke of how she never slept and walked the halls all night.

In addition, when I said we would be leaving early, she said most people don't want breakfast before 8:30 so she wouldn't make us any.

Too bad since the home was very nice and the neighborhood very cool.

Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
northern indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

The facility is very very pretty, and would be fine for people who are either smokers or don't take issue with returning home smelling of cigarettes. My friends and I, though, were very disappointed the moment that we walked in the door and found the smell overbearing. Returning home, my little boy said, "Mommy! You stink so bad!" I was forced to leave all my bags in the garage to air out and immediately showered and washed everything that stayed overnight in the place, including clothing that I didn't wear. At no time during our one-night stay did we go to any smoke-filled restaurants or bars, nor did we see our hosts smoking, but the stench infected every inch of the B&B and we in turn brought the smell home with us. There was no escaping the smell either. It is in all the bedding, towels. Everything.

Breakfast was delicious and from that perspective I'd highly recommend the place. However, our room was unbearably cold. Outside the temperature was 33 degrees with a wind chill of 25 degrees. The furnace NEVER kicked on the entire night (I know because the noise woke us up) until about 7am in the morning. To stay warm, I wore two pairs of socks, an undershirt, t-shirt, jammies, and a daytime light sweater. Then I took all the covers and wrapped up like a sushi. My friends did the same, and most wore their jeans to bed to preserve body heat.

Indy was wonderful, and I highly recommend hitting Massachusetts Avenue to check out the shops and eat lunch at the espresso bar. I wish I could recommend the B&B, but the smoke stench and the cold upstaged the beauty and good cooking.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

Positive: Delightful room and bathroom. Enjoyed the bathrobes and bed linens. Perfect set up for a B & B. Breakfast beautifully presented and delicious.

For improvement: Breakfast bread yummy but only got the 'heel'. Hostess seemed offended by request for more. Grudgingly gave me a second slice in a crumbled saran wrap and slapped down a tacky butter tub next to it. Felt charmingly pressured to buy the cookbook and didn't know how to change my mind when discovered hefty price. Our very pleasant stay ended somewhat negatively because I was disconcerted by the ungracious response for bread, the very expensive cookbook, and the hostess archly asking if 'I left her something upstairs?' Was she looking for a tip? Didn't feel I could afford one after the $30.00 book. I will not return because of these two unpleasant events.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Springboro, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

My husband an I stayed for a couple of nights at the Dewolf Allerdice House for our 15th Anniversary. We had an enjoyable time. The couple who owns the home are very nice and helpful. We loved talking to Sandy and hearing the history of the home. She made us a great breakfast each morning. The home is lovely. We were the only guest that weekend so it was nice and quiet. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to DeWolf Allerdice House? Share your experiences!