“Tasty lunch takeout” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Saffron Cafe

Saffron Cafe
62 Fort Wayne Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204 (Downtown Indianapolis)
(317) 917-0131
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Tasty lunch takeout”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Tried the shwarma sandwich with a salad and a side of hummus for lunch. The sandwich with the spicy sauce was very good, soft pita, moist and well-cooked gyro meat. The salad dressing was good. Hummus average, but certainly not bad. The rest of my group seemed to enjoy their meals as well. Price was reasonable for lunch. Will definitely eat here again at some point.

84% Recommend
Indianapolis
“Always a good dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My husband and I eat out a lot and this is my favorite restaurnat in the city. As a person that is very particular about certain foods being mixed, oddly enough, I love the appitizer that mixes oranges, avacado black olives and Morrocan seasoning - which sounds like a very odd combination, but is delicious! It is always a special on the weekends and is usually available during the week if requested. My husband and I share as a salad. My other favorite is the lamb and eggplant tagine. I have tried other dishes but keep going back because the flavors are just so wonderful. Finally, the baklava is the best I've ever tasted. We also love seeing Annie (wife of owner and chef) when we visit. She is a delightful person along with being an excellent server & host.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Great authenic Moroccan food....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Had a lovely meal at Saffron Cafe.. started with soup, then had Kafta and a Lamb tagine.. service was great and very friendly .. Wife of owner waited on us. Meet her husband the chef too. He actually still goes around and talks to all the customers at the tables. Not too many restaurants still do that.. Ended our meal with traditional mint tea. Would definately go back, when in the area agian. Decorated with moroccan tiles, and tagine's everywhere, beautiful lighting. Food was amazing ... dinner for two cost us under 100.00 with tip included, 3 drinks, 2 appetizers. two main entree, one dessert, mint tea for two.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Indianapolis
“Great service and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Took my adult son here for dinner, using a coupon. With the coupon was able to up the level of the items a bit, but some of the best things we had (they were all very god) was the appetizers. The eggplant is amazing. I had the paella; my son had the lamb tanjine. Service was great, food was great. You can spend big here or go on a budget - a wide range of very good looking food is available. I will go back

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Almost perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and I visited this restaurant recently after having heard great reviews from several people we know personally. Our friends were certainly accurate in giving the food high marks as it is almost too good for words. We had a coupon so we were able to enjoy an appetizer ( a variety plate), an entree ( we each ordered the paella which was a feast for the eyes and the palate!), a dessert ( tiramisu, YUM!!!) and a bottle of wine. The wine, the only one of the house ones that was in the "sweet" category was not sweet and is not something we would re-order but the paella might just be the BEST we have ever been served and that is saying something as this is a dish we have ordered on a number of occasions at other eateries. My only complaint is the wait service was a real let down. I have to wonder if perhaps we were treated differently because we were using a coupon, an observation I have noted in other settings. Our water glasses sat empty , our bread basket sat empty which was only delivered in the first place after I sought out the server to "remind" him to bring it, the server just generally stayed "gone" . This truly seemed unique to us as I saw him making MUCH more frequent "rounds" of the other tables. "Facility" staff need to consider that coupon customers may be trying them out to then decide to return at a later date, not assume that those patrons will not come back. For out-of-towners or locals, this is definitely worth the stop! Pricey perhaps, but worth it especially as a romantic night out for a couple. Near the Mass Avenue district too so there is a lot one can do in that area other than just dine at this restaurant.

• Visited January 2013