Was staying in Indianapolis for the first time and was looking for a restaurant in downtown. For the most part, if you look at the highest rated restaurants on Trip Advisor for Indianapolis they are mostly your upscale chain joints like, Morton's, Fogo De Chao, etc, which I have no interest in trying... been there done that....so we tried Saffron Cafe instead.
The restaurant is a little bit north of the Convention Center where I was staying. It is walkable from most of the hotels downtown, but it is a bit of a walk (1.5 miles from the Marriott) The restaurant is a lone building on kind of an empty block. It appears that it could have been a fast food joint at one time. There is parking next to the restaurant, but you need to make sure that you park in one of their spots or you will get towed. The restaurant is small, perhaps enough seats for about 50 people. There is outdoor seating, but it was too cool to sit outside The decor inside is not elaborate and pretty simple. Nothing to write home about. Not your upscale eating establishment
Here is the good:
1. We had the Mozarella plate which had a nice portion of mozarella and tomatoes with olives, capers artichokes with a balsamic vinagrette. The mozarella was excellent. Cost $9.95
2. We had the lamb tajine which is a moroccan stew. It had a generous portion of lamb, many times they skimp on the lamb and give you mostly veggies, that was not the case here. Cost $19.95
3. We split the appetizer and the entree which was plenty of food for us. Depends on your appetite
4. They have excellent fresh french bread served with your food. You will eat all of it, unless there is something wrong with you.
5. Service was good, not exceptional in anyway, but good.
Here is the bad:
1. Probably not their fault, but the tap water in Indianapolis has a sour aftertaste, so we ordered sparkling water.
2. This is not a fancy restaurant with a wow atmosphere. It is a place you go to have good food
3. Price for food was average. It wasn't overpriced, but not a deal for what you get.
If you own or manage Saffron Cafe, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.