“Dinner” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Saffron Cafe

Saffron Cafe
62 Fort Wayne Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204 (Downtown Indianapolis)
(317) 917-0131
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #160 of 1,921 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Doing business, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Evening after work. Love all the smells and food was great!

Visited November 2011

London, United Kingdom
“sometimes, everything is good.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

there is those places where everything just works. the saffron cafe in downtown indy is definitely one of those places.

upon entry, while you will still be overwhelmed by the scents and atmosphere of the restaurant, a lady talks you through the parking situation and the imminent danger of towing on this or another lot. after that's sorted, you will dive into a world of taste and north african hospitality.
i'll keep this short: our waiter was lovely, knowledgeable and fun, we ordered the honey lemonade and were in immediate heaven, we went with the recommendation for starters and loved it, had a tajine (traditional marokkan stew) and oohed and ahhed more than usual, and although stuffed we let us being talked into dessert, which we never regretted.

the atmosphere is more than inviting, an oud player delivered the acoustic background, the food is marvellous, and every single member of the staff genuinly delightful. on top of that, the bill was more than resonable, so i'd give 6 stars if that'd be an option, and the saffron cafe is from now on a fixed item in my indinapolis agenda.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Great ethnic food in Indy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Wander beyond the typical chain restaurants and this one won't let you down.

Visited March 2012
Indiana
“Great Food SLOW Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

This is simple. The food is great the service is SLOW!!! I go here periodically for lunch because I love the food. The only real Moroccan place in town.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Indianapolis, IN
“A hidden, delicious gem of a restaurant.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Dined at Saffron for our "post-valentines" dinner. The two of us went on a Saturday night and had a reservation for 7PM. There was no table available for us at this tiny restaurant (maybe 10-12 tables). The hostess said many tables were outstaying their 2 hour reservation. She kindly agreed to call me when a table became available, so we went next door to Elbow Room to have a drink. At around 7:30 she called me back and we walked back over.

I am not very nit-picky about these kinds of things but I know some would have been.

There was live entertainment (man playing Morrocan-style acoustic music) and it was very nice. I wish I would have had cash to tip him with.

The waiter was very attentive and told us about their many specials. We ordered all specials (Crab cake, seafood paella, and a Morrocan steak). They were all absolutely delicious. I wish I would have asked the prices before ordering but they were very well worth the price. ($16, $45, and $30 accordingly above). Everything we ordered was absolutely excellent. Crab cake had great seasoning, seafood paella was amazing, and my steak was extremely flavorful with great presentation.

We did order a bottle of Riesling from their short wine list that was very good. We did not have desert but the lady had a glass of their tea which was very good (and I don't like tea).

Next time I would definitely inquire about the price of the specials but I don't regret dropping $153 for the level of service, quality of food, and ambiance that we experienced. I will absolutely be back in the future and will tell everyone I know about this place.

• Visited February 2012