“Seems to have slipped a bit” 3 of 5 stars
Review of OAKLEY'S Bistro

OAKLEY'S Bistro
1464 W. 86th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46260-2181 (Washington)
317 824 1231
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
OAKLEY'S Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 2,029 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: American, French, Bistro
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Washington
Cross street: 86th & Ditch Road
Nebraska
“Seems to have slipped a bit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

It's been a few months since our last visit and Oakley's seems to have slipped a bit. Service was excellent as usual, but . . . . The lobster waffle has been a favorite but this time the texture of the waffle suggested that it had been made the day before. The fish special was just all over the place - avocado, asparagus, quinoa, tomato, green beans and who knows what else accompanied the fish and the result was an overly ambitious mess. Dessert was OK. This time Oakley's comes in third to R Bistro (1st) and Mesh on Mass (2nd).

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Indianapolis
“This place just gets better & better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We have dined at Oakley's probably a half dozen times since it opened - due to the cost, it's kind of a special occasion place. Unlike some restaurants, the food seems to improve as the preparation becomes more complex and interesting each time we visit. Contrary to some of the other reviewers, I very much enjoy the small servings as it gives you the oportunity to try more dishes. Also, I prefer a perfectly prepared small serving over the meat platters of food the chains have made popular. My husband & I shared several items at dinner last night with my favorite being the cajun gnocchi & scallop dishs (small plates). The only item we did not rave about was the french onion soup. While the preparation was interesting, the flavors were just not that outstanding in our opinion. The service was very well paced with the waiter making sure the food was not rushed but came at the appropriate intervals. Overall, we had a delightful evening & feel this restaurant continues to be one of the best in Indianapolis

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cancun, Mexico
“Great place in a small strip mall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was surprised how good the food was here. I was at a business dinner and we shared a number of yummy apps and then each ordered a meal. I had something called Duck & Duck I believe, it was very very good. I have to be honest, not sure I would have simply selected this place if I hadn't been taken there. Kudos to the chef for a great meal!!!

Visited April 2013
Lafayette Indiana
“The French Onion Soup was a Delightful Surprise - The Croutons and Cheese Were Served on the Side”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

How creative! I ordered the French Onion Soup. It was delicious. To my surprise the croutons and cheese were served on the side in a very light grilled cheese sandwich. It avoided the soggy croutons and stringy cheese that always is a disappointment and a challenge when ordering French Onion Soup. Did I say this: Very creative!

My wife ordered the Crab and Lobster Tart which was abundant in crab and lobster. She was very pleased. Sometimes a menu that offers crab and lobster is no more than a mere hint of these delights.

I will say that three tunes from Frank Sinatra during the time we were there at lunch reminded us of how old they must think we are. Plus lunch was $50.00 with tip but without wine. If I live to be 90, I would hope for lunch to include wine at $50.00 - Perhaps two glasses each.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Carmel, IN
“A favorite place of mine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I had the pleasure of returning to OAKLEY'S for dinner this weekend. The owner/chef Steve Oakley is terrific. His food is always fresh, full of flavor and artfully presented. We started with the Butcher's Board. A nice assortment of charcuterie, pickled vegetables and crostini. I am not a vegetarian, but I enjoy ordering his vegetarian entrees. He makes them just "pop" with flavor. We also had the duck and duck. This is a combination of magret and confit. The meat is done to perfection. The only disappointment was our server. She did not know the menu well and was a little too informal. Normally, the servers are more polished at OAKLEY'S. Fortunately, we did not let that spoil our otherwise lovely dinner. Can't wait to go back.

• Visited March 2013