“In the South, we call it "shabby genteel..."” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Columbia Club

You added Columbia Club to your Saves list
Columbia Club
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   121 Monument Circle, Indianapolis, IN 46204 (Downtown Indianapolis)   |
Ranked #116 of 184 Hotels in Indianapolis
West Des Moines, Iowa
“In the South, we call it "shabby genteel..."”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Beautiful and historic, but not as nice as it probably once was. A bit run down, I'd say.

Some advice: make sure you get every single thing you need out of your car before handing it over to the rather impatient valets at the door, because they apparently park quite a ways away, and will expect a tip each time you have to send them to run to go fetch something out of it.

Also, don't get a drink or food in the bar unless you're prepared to overpay. It's nothing spectacular and it is PRICEY. A lite beer and a shot of Jack was $11.67. I have the receipt before me now.

As I walked through the front door, my hands and arms were absolutely full of luggage and my hat was on my head. As the little doorkeep pulls the door open he says "No hats in the public areas of the club, sir." I like a no-hat-inside policy, but a bit of judgment may be called for.

Also, no hot water from the tap. I could get it out of the shower, no problem (albeit intermittently), but the tap was a trickle of cool water. Shaving took a bit of a try.

Last thing: temperature control in the room was mostly for show. It was set to "sauna."

All that said:

The help was generally friendly, the location is ideal for downtown business and conventions and is within walking distance of more reasonably-priced eating.

I give the place a high c-plus or low b-minus.

Room Tip: Seventh floor seemed nice. Ask to face the circle and not the parking garage.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I booked this hotel through Hotwire, and had some reservations when I found out what the hotel was, but what a very pleasant surprise it was! Our stay was mostly fantastic! The Columbia Club is a historic site, basically a private club that has converted parts of its building to hotel space. Doormen great you upon arrival and are very happy to help and more than accommodating. There is valet service available, although we did not have a car so we did not use it. Check in was very efficient and friendly. Our room was very clean. A little dated, but quite quaint. The only complaint I can think of was a lack of hot water for a shower on one of the mornings.

We really just used this hotel to sleep in as we were very busy all of the weekend. I would recommend it to anyone traveling for business or on a getaway to Indy. Possibly not the best hotel for families with small children as it is a very formal hotel, with exclusive paying members and guests. Had I had younger children with me, I would have been very "on edge".

Room Tip: If you were to have a room facing Monument Circle, you would have a very nice view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Me and my wife spent 2 days in Indy this weekend and stayed here. The location could not be better. It is located in Monument Circle. Traffic can be an issue, but it was nice to exit the hotel and be immersed in the urban life here. Rates were reasonable given the location. The rooms were not special, but we did not find them wanting. The staff were very friendly to us. One negative is that there is a thin door separating 2 rooms. The door was locked, but it was easy to hear through. We were awoken once by our "neighbors" arguing late at night. In the morning, one of them was coughing and retching for over an hour. Also, be aware the beds are very soft.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel isn't really a hotel. It's an old athletic/dinking/cigar club that was exclusively for men. In a bid to survive, they have attempted to turn themselves into a hotel. They aren't trying very hard; I suspect that they only open rooms to non club members when there are no other rooms left in Indy.
The bathroom in my room was awful. The hair dryer was at least as old as the men in the (men only) cigar room. The shower head, flooring and fixtures would be bad if this were a gym and not a pricey hotel. There was info in my room about 4 places to eat but no indication of where to find them. After looking for about 20 minutes, I found the lounge tucked in a corner on the first floor that I am sure is easy to find if you are a club member but not marked for anyone else. The dessert I had was baked several months ago, frozen and thawed. Inedible. This is a place that would rather not have outsiders, and it shows.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We booked through travel Indy 3 1/2 months in advance of a convention. Originally one room for one person, 5 days. Later we changed to two for one room (3 months in advance). No communication from the hotel, we assumed all was well. It wasn't...clearly no one read the request. On arrival the clerk appoligized & said they would have a manager look at it.. No one got back to us... King size bed 2 people.. No cot or room for one. Raised the issue with the manager... He emailed receipt ...said he would look into it & nothing back. Thin walls, guest parties at 1 in the morning... Way too much noise..no sleep 5 nights. Great location .....but no for what they charge you can find much better accomidation elsewhere....period!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Wabash, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Me and my girlfriend decided to attent the moto Gp festivities this year. It was a lat minute thing so we were trying to find a hotel we found the Columbia Club it was the only room available downtown. We have never stayed there before. We had a bad experience from the time we walked to the front door. The doormen questioned us if we were staying at the hotel. that wasnt a big deal to me, The check in went pretty good. The view from the room of Monument circle was the best part. Now the bad being moto GP I didnt bring my shirt and tie so the staff was very rude to us. We entered the hotel from grabbing a bite to eat I had az doorman chase me down yelling at me telling me to take my hat off. One other staff member told my girlfriend that she was not in the proper attire. The elevators were extremely slow we had to take 7 flights of stairs to get back to our room. The room is nothing fancy you can get the same quality room at Hampton Inn down the road for a better price. We were not able to check into our room until 330 in the afternoon and the check out was by noon. so we didnt even get the room 24 hours. They tried to charge me 25.00 to park my motorcycle. I simply told them that I wasnt parking with them cause I could simply park my bike in front of the hotel on the circle. At night the hotel was very noisy from a wedding reception. That doesnt bother me but for some I know that it would. I will take this as a lesson learned and will start booking my hotels earlier in advance at the Hampton Inn down the road

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have been to the coumbia for a few weddings and have always enjoyed myself. The rooms are what you should expect, nothing fancy but they do the trick. This time however, like always were were given a complimentary valet ticket from the wedding party. The next morning when we went to check out we were told it would not be honored because it was overnight? I have always done this. Plus if its only $10 to stay overnight then why would I have to pay the full 25. Next time im downtown for a wedding, I will just stay in a different hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Columbia Club? Share your experiences!