“Private Club for the Public” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Columbia Club

and 1 more site!
You added Columbia Club to your Saves list
Columbia Club
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   121 Monument Circle, Indianapolis, IN 46204 (Downtown Indianapolis)   |
Ranked #111 of 184 Hotels in Indianapolis
Barbados
“Private Club for the Public”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Columbia Club at the Monument Circle in Indy is a private club that opens up its rooms and restaurants to guests - a very unique opportunity to enjoy an historic and beautiful old place that is full of class, charm, dignity and excellent and friendly service. Instead of staying in the "usual suspects" chin hotel in downtown Indy - give the Columbia Club a try and enjoy a bit of nostalgia, great food, a comfortable lobby and a super place to host business at. As an extensive world traveller, I was happily impressed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I couldn't believe, and still can't, that this hotel only set me back about a 100 and change. It was situated right in the middle of downtown Indianapolis, and the club was an authentic throwback on another century. It looks like where all the well to do Indyers (is that right??) converge and the furniture, lights, etc all seemed to be a beautiful mixture of 1800's victorian, with some 1930's elements thrown in. It was a delight. The room itself was spectacular as well. I had a killer view of the skyline and the bed was to tie for. They even had these cool pinstripe covers that are some of the softest to ever grace your body. Also, their window opens which is really nice (guess, not promoting, that you can cheat a tiny bit with a cig drag or to! Would be real easy if you're careful and make sure to blow out the window). The one negative, which is somewhat of a big one, is that the bath wasn't that hot. Unfortunately, it was an authentic Art-Deco tub. Stylish and cool, definitely. Fully functional? Not so much. The best part though: the staff. I came in around 2 in the morning on a bus from Louisville. The bald, bespectacled gentleman (sorry I must describe him that way but I want him to get credit and forgot his name!) was one of the most accomodating hosts you will find. He promptly greeted me as I entered in the late hour, and even provided me with the newspapers I was hoping for. He even let me check some of them to see if they had my section before buying! Lastly, I was VERY late to check out (bed was so comfortable I slept until two pm!), and I got out of there finally at 4. They didn't bother me about that once. This is by far the best hotel you will ever find for a price under $200. Period.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Interesting history and fantastic location in the heart of Indianapolis. There was nothing special about the service or rooms, but the whole private club environment is kind of cool. Met some interesting charachters over race weekend, but from the reviews seems like it could be slightly akward when it is less busy. If you are looking to do something different rather than your standard run of the mill Hilton/Marriott/etc then give this a try. Otherwise, stay at the JW Marriott down the street for a nicer hotel but slightly worse location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed at the Columbia Club because we had a conference there. There are some stricter rules they would liked follow about attire, but overall not that bad. After arriving at the hotel the valet/bellmen were right at the car and ready to help. I had some larger pieces to bring into the hotel and they did not hesitate. The rest of the staff was nice, but during our conference when we needed stuff it, things went into slow motion. Not on purpose but I think that is how they work. The rooms were on the small side, but nothing different than you would find in a older style hotel (like the Palmer House in Chicago). I was fortunate to have a Jr suite (basically two rooms, they open the door between the rooms) so it was not so closed in. That also allow me to entertain some clients and get some work done in my hotel room. My room seem to be one that was all ready renovated. The bar area is small, but there is seating outside the bar. I did not eat in the hotel except was was provided for our lunches and that was pretty good! The hotel is in a great location, walking distance to a lot of restaurant and attractions. We did feel that our group really did not fit in well there even thought we were business professionals we are fun loving type group and this was more a quiet library atmosphere. We tended to spend most of our time outside of the hotel for our dinners and activities on our free time. We had a great rate like $79 dollars, but there was a $25 valet parking rate but still overall great rate. For that kind of dollar amount you could look to stay there again but next time I would probably skip Columbia Club

Room Tip: Valet/Bellmen are the BEST, they are the reason for the good service rating. Ask for a Jr Suite if y...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
South Bend, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is a very pretty place . There are strict rules on attire and etiquette . The rooms are also true to the historic roots but are just fine and it does remind you of a very elegant era...roaring twenties with modern conveniences while maintaining the integrity of this building's past. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

There are many mixed reviews about the Columbia Club ~~~~ I loved it..... very nice and in a great location..... The lobby is beautiful and is full of wonderful art .... the rooms still have their classic touch. My room overlooked the front on the building so I had a direct view of the monument. I was there on St Patty's Day weekend..... there was a race/walk that left from in front of the hotel and they had bands until about 3 in the afternoon.... It is very close to many museums, mall etc..... loved the location !!!

If you are more of a "cookie cutter" type person, you may not like it as much as I did..... stay at the Hyatt were all the rooms are the exact same..... If you like classic bed and breakfasts.... the Columbia Club is for you !!!!!

Room Tip: Get a room that faces Monument Circle...... it is a stunning view.........
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
South Bend, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

In fairness, I admit that, because I was dealing with both a car problem and a work-related issue with limited time, I did not ask for another room. But the room I got (through Hotwire) had Visible dust on one wall; blood (not mine) on the sheets; cracked and lumpy wallpaper; mold on bathroom ceiling; a bathroom sink that would barely drain; dusty, gunky, sprinkler head; and on the service ledge that was my view, an old jug of chocolate milk. My room was next to an event suite and I was awoken at 6:15 am by the very noisy set up for an event that day. For me, the "former gentleman's club" vibe was not welcoming. In fact, other than two employees, I might have been the only woman in the hotel that night. The parking valet was an angel, though, and greatly helped me with my car.

Room Tip: I don't know if it's possible to have much control over room choice in a "club" of...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Columbia Club? Share your experiences!