“Sybaris” 5 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   5466 W. 86th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46268   |
Middletown, Ohio, United States
“Sybaris”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The trip to Sybaris was amazing. My boyfriend surprised me with the getaway, I thought we where going to stay at a normal hotel as we hit up the diner drive-in and dive locations on the way their and back and maybe do something fun in Indianapolis. He made me close my eye’s and when I arrived in the room their where rose petals all over the bed. I was blown away, it was beautiful.
The hot tub was fun but the heat lamps above didn’t seem to work as I would have thought. The pool was great, we had the room with a waterfall, I wouldn’t really call it a waterfall myself, more of a water dripping. The pool was fantastic, a warm pool in the winter. I loved it! Although after warming up the 92 degree water was just a little to warm for my taste, 85 would have been perfect for me. With saying that I did stay in the pool for at least a hour at a time. The massage chair was great, and so much fun. The bed was the best I’ve ever slept in!
I took it as it was, I can’t complain. It was a beautiful mini vacation and I am very thankful for the time spent with my loved one in a very relaxing place. It was perfect! I wouldn’t pick apart the minor flaws, It’s not about the glamour of the location but more about the time away from the real world shared with your significant other. It’s a shame you can’t smoke inside. Having to go outside to smoke was bitter sweet. Yes it was cold but you could run back into that very warm water and cuddle up.
I would go back, I didn’t want to leave. We plan to do this once yearly. Its great. You should go :D

117 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Greencastle, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

First of all, this was the fifth trip (we think) for my wife & I to Sybaris in Indianapolis. We go there annually in December or January to celebrate another wonderful year of marriage. This year we booked the Majestic Swimming Pool Suite.

Although we will continue to visit this property again in the future, there is some modernizing which needs to be done in the not-too-distant future. First of all the bathroom is very low class (something you would find at a $35/night hotel - not $350/night). The shower stall is contractor grade, and the whole room is very unappealing. The sink area outside of the bathroom is not much better with out-of-date lighting, and the mirrored vanity shelf was broken in our suite. The plastic furniture around the pool has a low-grade Walmart look, and parts of our hot tub came off during operation. The price of the suites indicates that it's time for some modernization (all I can reference is our suite which needs some work - the others may be getting upgraded, but ours looks like the Majestic Suites have during past visits).

The rest of the property was wonderful, from a staff which is very helpful to security gates and individual buildings/suites which increase privacy. Everything was very clean, and comfortable. The refrigerator and coffee pot are a welcome touch, and the private pool (as always) is very inviting (although a little cooler this year - not bad, but not as hot as I remember). As I said above, we will certainly look forward to our return visit next year, but hopefully there are plans for some suite updates. I certainly recommend it for couples who need some romantic alone time!

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This was a quick one night getaway for the hubby and I. Upon arrival, the front desk clerk was friendly and nice, and we were able to check in about 45 minutes early, instead of the 6pm check in. The suites are all their own building and very cute and welcoming. I felt like I was going to my own little house for the night! Plenty of parking right in front of our unit, where we could easily watch our vehicle and there was a keyed entry into the parking lot for added safety.

When I walked into the room I was impressed, the carpet was soft and freshly vacuumed, the room itself was clean and up to date. I had called ahead to ask if there would be an ipod connection in the room and sure enough they made sure to have one in there for me! The stereo plays through the whole suite which is amazing lol, and knowing that there isn’t somebody directly connected to you, I felt comfortable having the music on the louder side. There was a cd changer, DirecTV, a regular radio and a DVD player. All the lights had some sort of dimmer on them, and the lights around the bed were pretty cool too. The fireplace was just for looks and didn’t put out any heat which was fine with me! The massage chair was awesome and I definitely took advantage of it, many different settings and you could even spin around and look at any part of the suite that you wanted to while getting a massage, so if your special somebody was putting on a show in the pool or bedroom area, you could have a nice relaxing view of them! One thing I really liked about the layout was that you had a view of the entire room from almost every activity. For example, you could see the pool from the Jacuzzi and steam shower, you could see the pool from the entire bedroom area and so forth. Two sinks, and a ledge for any toiletry items you may have, a counter, kitchen sink, microwave, and small fridge. They also had a bag of ice in the freezer, wine opener, two champagne glasses, and two coffee cups in the kitchen area. There was a regular shower, which was very basic and a small area to hang coats and store luggage in the bathroom. I didn’t care that there wasn’t a dresser or a “place” to really put ur belongings bc we only brought one bag full of swimsuits lol and weren’t planning on staying a week, therefore we really didn’t need the space. The only negative thing I can come up with is the beds.... They are not comfortable at all to sleep on and we thought for sure it was an air mattress until we checked it!! Butttt you dont really go to a place like this to sleep anyway, so it wasn't a deal breaker!!

I don’t know what’s around the area bc we had already ate and finished up any shopping we needed before we headed towards the hotel. I do know that there is a pizza place and Chinese place that will deliver right to your door though, and a gas station across the street.

In short, I would definitely recommend this place to couples looking for a one of a kind unique getaway! I know that I will be planning a trip back asap and hopefully next time staying in one of the larger suites!!

Bristol, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

When you first pull into Sybaris it doesn't look like much. The community is gated with several "cottages" (over 20). We booked a Paradise room which was very cozy. When walking into the room the carpet was nice and plush, there was a massage chair, and a fireplace. My husband added "rose petals" to the package which was sprinkled across the king size bed, which was a very nice touch, and they had music on. It had a very romantic feel. They also left a long stem rose on the bed. The bed itself was comfortable and had lights surrounding it with "stars" above and a mirror. The pool was nice, the waterfall was nice but had COLD water coming out of it. Our pool bottom wasn't clean, but we told management and they compensated for it. The steam shower was probably my favorite part. It was very relaxing, almost like sitting in the rain. We also had a whirlpool tub, but they didn't have bubble bath, so we brought our own. There was also a microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, wine bottle opener, and phone. The phone can't be used to make outgoing calls, and I believe no one can call in either. I think it is just an emergency phone or to call the front desk. There were two double sinks with heat lamps and typical amenities including toothbrush and toothpaste. The bathroom was small, but did include a Bidet, which was a surprise. One negative thing was that there wasn't a closet. There was a small cubby in the bathroom, but was very small and no doors. The TV had all the main channels, and even had the preminum such as Playboy.
We encountered minor things that didn't go over well, but management seemed to genuinely care and tried to make it right. The tile on the floors was clean, but dated. A simple remodel of the tile floors would make this room very nice.

There were many nearby restuarants and shopping areas including Fashion Mall, which is the biggest mall I've ever been in. This is a very nice area to stay in. We felt very safe.

Room Tip: Watch for specials. Indy has mostly Paradise rooms, with 2 Chalet and a few majectic and whirlpool.
illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

First time we visited a Sybaris location and I was a little concerned about how it would go over. Went over very well with us both. We stayed in one of the pool suites - the smaller of the pools for one night. Experience was great all around. From check-in to the cleanliness of the rooms to check-out - everything was good. Location is pretty easy to access and is close to standard city-suburban restaurants.

The decor is entertaining in its own way - and there are more light switches and dimmers than I've ever seen in one place. Unit was like a separate cottage, so we were pretty isolated - though I'm not sure what level of occupancy they had on the weeknight we stayed - and we never heard nor saw anyone beyond the desk staff.

It was a lot of fun, although pretty expensive fun. But everything was exactly as advertised, room and all facilities were very clean. Can't speak for their other locations, but Indy site delivered as promised. We'd not hesitate to book/stay again some day.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dayton, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

W
O
W

Lookin' for something with a high "WOW" factor? This is THE place!! I don't know if I've ever given a 5-star...dot...whatever...review, but this place earned it.

Booked a Sunday night in the Chalet Suite as part of a "Mystery Trip" I planned for my wife's 50th birthday. Had to reschedule once and the reservationist was very nice and helpful. Not sure how it is at other Sybaris locations, but at Indy each "suite" is actually a separate buidling...almost like a cottage. Very nicely kept grounds, security gate, in a nice area with a lot of restaurants, shopping, and a couple movie theaters close by.

There are two Chalet suites at Indy. Each one has it's own single car garage with opener!! We walked in through the garage entrance into the suite and both of our jaws dropped. The Chalet Suite has a 22-foot pool with a slide that you can see through a view-window from the garage entrance. On the second floor is the bed, TV, kitchenette sink/refrig, bathroom, etc.

We were in unit #27. This place was absolutely spotless. It looked like we were the first ones who had ever been in this unit. I mean really, really clean - which was amazing because this is a very large "suite" with a lot of glass and mirrors. The bed was not bad, but not what you'd find in a Marriott or the like. Woulda' been nice if the "mirror" over the bed wasn't tinted real dark - the star lights were a nice touch, but you really couldn't see.....well, never mind...perhaps TMI here.

ANYWAY....the pool was awesome. It was very, very warm, but not uncomfortable. Extremely clean. Fun, what with the "swim jet" it had. Overhead there was a thing you could turn on to make it over the center of the pool. Nice, but we didn't use it much. The slide was a real hoot - we both went down it several times. A very FAST slide!!! Also - I learned a valuable lesson the first time I went down that slide: when in a bathing suit optional pool, a guy needs to keep his ankles crossed when going down a fast slide!!

This place really was awesome, and my wife is telling all of her friends' husbands about it! It was the perfect place for a surprise trip, and got me a bunch of brownie-points...which came in very handy during a romantic night like that. Alright, alright, I know ...TMI again.

Would we stay here again? Mmmm...maybe in 10 years or so. Perhaps locals would venture in more frequently to the less expensive suites, but this Chalet Suite was very expensive - over $400 for Sunday night. Woulda' been well over $500 for Saturday night. That's a lot of money for one night. However, to travel 100 miles for one night as a surprise for a special occasion, it was worth every last penny!

Oh yeah - the pizza delivery place they recommended was very, very good, too (sorry, can't remember the name)

Room Tip: Pick the best suite you can afford.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Marion, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

myself and my then wife of almost 29 years was there about 4 times we both loved it and it gave us both just what we was looking for, a great getaway and a place where you can be alone, i sure miss those days and if only we could get back together, i know the first place we would be is right there at the hotel , thank you very much i loved every moment we was there

Room Tip: may as well get a room that has it all which most of all of them do the last one we was going to try...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sybaris Indianapolis? Share your experiences!