“Can't wait to come back!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maxine's Chicken & Waffles

Maxine's Chicken & Waffles
132 N East St, Indianapolis, IN 46204 (Downtown Indianapolis)
(317) 423-3300
Cuisines: American, Chicken Wings
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Can't wait to come back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

This was our first visit to Maxine's. When we arrived we were greeted instantly and then seated. Our waitress was very nice and took good care of us.The complimentary corn bread and peach butter was very delectable and sustained our appetites until the food was ready to be served. I went with my friend and my brother. My friend who is ovu-vegetarian ordered the veggie omelet (without cheese), wheat toast, and breakfast potatoes, all were quite yummy! My brother and I got chicken and waffles (my brother got the sweet potato waffle and I got the regular waffle) we shared a side of onion rings.The food was very good! We will be back!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Southern specialties in a hit or miss atmosphere.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Love the idea of chicken and waffles. I don't know why it is such a divisive food combo. Our Maxine's in Minnesota closed before it even really opened; the locals just couldn't wrap their culinary heads around it.

Indy's Maxine's is half of an unglamourous gas station - a location that is almost transcended. The place shows some wear & tear but is still homey. However, it also feels a little souless with all of the tv's.

The food had great potential, but failed in little ways. The waffles (which the waitress couldn't identify by flavor when served) were rubbery and bland. I have no idea what made mine sweet potato. The general service around the room seemed to lack food knowledge as well, as we saw several tables sending back items or missing ordered items.

What saved this experience for me was the AMAZING chicken. Although the wings lacked a lot of meat, they were the tastiest fried chicken I've ever had. The crispy breading, seasoning & moist meat were delightful. Again, the amount of meat in the giant wings was deceptively little, but the taste fantastic.

On a side note, my picky nephew usually eats 2 bites of his restaurant meal and is done. He actually ate his entire kids meal & asked for more chicken sausage. That was a welcome surprise.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
State College, Pennsylvania
“A little soul in the midwest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Great place for lunch and to embrace Southern cuisine. Staff provided excellent service. It is located within easy driving or walking distance to downtown. The walk will aid in the calorie burn to stay fit.

Visited November 2012
Lafayette, Indiana
“I'll be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Went there as part of a birthday celebration with eight people and to save money. I'm usually on the hook for several hundred dollars at this annual affair and I wanted something less expensive this time. Group was not excited going in but all agreed it was excellent. Called to reserve a large table for diner. Ready when we arrived and the food and service was terrific. Really good appetizers and main dishes were as well. Service was fast for such a busy period. There was a steady line at the door but people didn't have to wait long. I had the Smothered Chicken with a side of waffle and grits. Excellent and more than I could eat. Everyone left full ang happy with a promise to return soon. I left with about $200 more in my pocket than I usually do after one of these events. "Thank you Maxine!"

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Darn Good Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

There is nothing fancy about this restaurant. The tables and seating all look well used. But make no mistake, this place serves GREAT diner breakfast food -- the comfort food your mother or grandmother would make. The pancakes and waffles are wonderful. They're light and airy and are served with a tasty peach butter and maple syrup. They asked us if we wanted a flavor, but we went with the plain. We'll be trying the sweet potato waffles next time. The service we received was excellent. Our coffee was topped off several times, never allowing us to finish a cup. And our server cleared away any dishes or trash more than once during our meal to keep the table tidy. All the staff were super friendly. We recently moved to Indy from Wisconsin, so we have been on the hunt for a good place for breakfast on the weekends. This place is it. We'll be back, many times. Take note: they open for breakfast at 9 on Sundays. That is a little later than we're used to, but that's just something we're noticing about Indy in general.

• Visited November 2012