“Awesome hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

Indy Hostel
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   4903 Winthrop Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46205   |
“Awesome hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed here for two nights as a single traveller and found the staff very welcoming and friendly. The hostel was clean and offered everything I wanted for the short stay, and there were organised events too like music gigs. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014
IHMGMT, Manager at Indy Hostel, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Thank you Anna, we had a nice time getting to know you. I hope the rest of your trip home is going well and you will be back in the States in the near future.

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

The host manager is very nice to tenants from all over the world. The only trouble is that the if you go in winter, the heater is not working well. The trails nearby is a good choice for jogging and biking zealots. I advice you bring some snacks with you since there is not a big grocery nearby.

Stayed January 2014
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Indy Hostel is located in a former private residence just south of Broadripple Village in Indianapolis at roughly 49th Street and College Avenue.

I opted for the private suite which is really just a former bedroom with a stand up shower, toilet, and sink shoehorned into the corner of the room.

The hostel experience is probably better served in one of the many dorms. And the dorm rates are very favorable.

I stayed here because of the proximity to Broadripple Village and the ease of getting around Indy from College Avenue. The private suite rate is pretty good, too, but plan ahead as there is only one suite available and it is very popular.

I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed December 2013
IHMGMT, Manager at Indy Hostel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Thank you for the great review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and hope that you return. Don't forget, if you have a large group we do have Private dorms that can accommodate 4 to 5 guests.
Goshen, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here overnight during a visit to Butler University. Only 1.3 miles from the campus - SO much better than the hotels that are either downtown or out on the rim! We were looking for a different, non-sterile hotel and were not disappointed! It was wonderful to be in a house, in a quiet neighborhood, and to be able to look outside and see other houses! PLUS being able to lounge around in the common areas rather than stuck in a room watching tv was a real gift! While it did take a bit of a mental adjustment to realize that this is more like apartment living than being at our own house, we loved the adjustment! It is good to stretch!

When we arrived, we rang the bell (which, didn't seem to work but found out later it rings next door where Doug, the manager (?) stays.) and as we were getting ready to call the number, Doug showed up at the door. He showed us around and took care of all the details. He was great!

I was disappointed that we didn't have more time to explore the area around the hostel! My wife and I have already talked about staying here when we get back down to Indy! (Which will be often if my daughter decides to go to Butler!)

Not a new place, but one with character and charm not found in any hotels I've ever been in! And much cheaper and more personable!

If you want to try it: remember, this is a hostel; take the time to interact with the other guests! The restrooms are shared, but single occupancy. This is an older home so it is not an immaculate palace - but quite liveable! Check out the maps showing where all previous guests have come from! And have enough time to walk around the area and support the local community/restaurants/pubs!

Can't hardly wait for our next trip to Indy - Indy Hostel will be our first choice!

Room Tip: There is a Keruig coffee maker, so bring your own K-cups if you're a coffee snob! We stayed in...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
IHMGMT, Manager at Indy Hostel, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
We are so happy to hear that your experience with us was positive. You appear to have had the experience that we attempt to foster here at the hostel: a warm home-like welcome and a stay that is personal, offering opportunities for positive guest-to-guest and staff-to-guest interactions. We would love to have you back and the best of luck to your daughter in her college selection. Go Bulldogs!!
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at Indy Hostel. The customer service was great in accomodating my needs. The guests were very friendly and it felt like being part of a family. I would definitely recommend this hostel especially if you are on a shoestring budget. You get value for the price.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Huntington, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I really wanted to like this place as I’ve stayed at a lot of hostels and was excited to find Indianapolis has one of its own. Any one of my complaints wouldn’t be a big deal, but it was the cumulative experience that soured my stay.

My first disappointment came after I had e-mailed asking about their cancellation policy. I was told that in order to avoid full charges, you must cancel 72 hours in advance. That sounded fair to me so I booked. I then received an e-mail stating that a non-refundable 20% deposit had been deducted from my credit card, even though their e-mail mentioned nothing about a non-refundable deposit. Fortunately, my travel arrangements worked out as planned so I didn't have to cancel. Crisis averted, right?

A week before my reservation, I received an e-mail requesting that an arrival time be provided. I responded promptly. When I arrived to check in it was dark. A note at the front door says to use the back door. So I schlepped my stuff around to the back. Rang the bell. Silence. A note says to call a number if no one answers. Fortunately I have a cell phone so I called. No answer. So I'm standing out in the dark at the time I said I'd arrive not knowing what to do since I can't get an answer. After just a couple minutes (which seemed like a longer time out in the dark) my phone rang. A very nice guy apologized for not being there because he was picking his girlfriend up from yoga. He gave me the pass code to enter and said he’d be there within 10 minutes to check me in. Fair enough…no big deal. He arrived and kindly showed me to my room—I had reserved a private room.

The website doesn’t make it very clear that the private rooms aren’t in the main house—they’re in the basement of the house next door. The parts of the room that need to be clean (e.g. linens!) appeared clean and the bed was comfy—appreciated amenities! The floors looked dirty (painted concrete with crevices full of dust) and there were someone else’s peanuts and a dead bug under the nightstand. Again, not a big deal but also not the most welcoming sight. There is one traditional bathroom shared between three (?) private rooms; I didn’t have any trouble getting in to use it when needed and it was mostly clean—though I'm not sure the toilet was cleaned during my three night stay. The walls between the rooms are paper thin. I could plainly hear the conversation between my neighbor and the person he was talking to on his cell phone, even though I could tell he was trying to be quiet and considerate.

I was in Indy for a conference downtown, which kept me away from my room and the hostel most of the day. After my first night I received a call that all of my stuff needed to be moved to a different room because heavy rains had caused the room I was staying in to flood. Fortunately, I hadn’t left much on the floor and what I had left wasn’t in an area that got wet. When I arrived back my stuff had nicely and safely been moved to an adjacent private room and locked up for me. Again, a slight inconvenience but no big deal on its own and they were very kind.

I was talking the next day with a friend who works for the City who mentioned having received calls about the hostel that day regarding code violations. I had to laugh and say I honestly wasn’t surprised. You can look compliance cases up on the city’s website and the violations include: “no hotel license to operate a hostel” (Case Number LGL13-01966) and “number of occupants (38) exceeds maximum allowed by variance—only 10 permitted in this structure” (Case Number VIO13-003976). Yikes.

The next morning when I tried to retrieve food I left in the fridge, labeled as requested, I found someone had eaten some of my leftovers. Of course, this isn’t the fault of the hostel, but it contributed to the crummy overall experience.

After my third night, I couldn’t wait to check out. Needless to say, when my husband asked if it was a place we could go back to together I told him, “no way!”

I’ve not left many bad reviews before and feel bad leaving this one considering how friendly everyone seems. I’ve stayed at nicer, more professionally run hostels, but I’ve also stayed at worse. The value for a dorm bed might be reasonable…but learning about the code violations was the final straw.

Parking/commuting tip: Parking is not allowed on the east side of Winthrop so if you’re coming from the south, you’ll need to go up to 50th Street and back-track. It took me about 15 minutes to drive downtown each morning.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHMGMT, Manager at Indy Hostel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
We are never pleased to hear a guest has not had more than great experience at our hostel. We feel that it is our duty to ensure the facilities are clean, safe, and comfortable and that our staff is prompt and helpful. Obviously, this is not the service that you feel you received and we would like to extend our apologies. If you do feel that another stay at Indy Hostel is possible in the future, we would love the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

As for the concerns with licenses, the issues have been addressed and are currently being handled by ourselves and the State of Indiana. These situations take time to resolve and with ongoing persistence, should be handled in good time. The license issues have nothing to do with the health, security, or safety of our guests and are solely concerned with proper zoning of our business. We thank you for your feedback and the opportunity to improve our hostel.
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I really enjoyed the feel of Indy Hostel, I felt welcome right away. Felt like staying with family friends, I won't be looking to stay anywhere else in Indianapolis as long as Indy Hostel is around :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Indy Hostel? Share your experiences!