“Granted, this was their first week” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien Indianapolis

You added Le Meridien Indianapolis to your Saves list
Le Meridien Indianapolis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   123 South Illinois Street, Indianapolis, IN 46225 (Formerly Canterbury Hotel)   |
Ranked #75 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
Long Beach, California, United States
“Granted, this was their first week”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This used to be the Canterbury Hotel and that was a fabulous venue. The renovation is ongoing and while I like the modern touches, it doesn't have the intimacy it had before now. There were two of us and they messed up our reservation (despite calling to confirm that morning) and refused to make up the pullout bed in the "upgraded" suite - they just dropped a piece of cardboard that looked like it might have been a dog's blanket (my dog didn't like it) and a couple of sheets... I'd wait about 6 months before trying this place on any business trip.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
LMIndy, General Manager at Le Meridien Indianapolis, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Hello Anne P,

Thank you very much for your candid feedback. We are happy to have a revived hotel with modern offerings for today's traveler in the place that the Canterbury used to be. Our $13M renovation was completed on December 4th, 2014, however you may indeed still see us hanging a piece of artwork or two here or there.

I am disappointed to hear of your experience regarding the pullout bed, and shocked our staff would refuse to make it up. I assure you this has been addressed with the team. As an extra precaution, we have pre-made all suite pullout beds moving forward and will be sure to have a luxury blanket in the armoire's in the future. Again, thank you for your candid feedback, it is the best way to help us continually improve our future guests experience.

Solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel just recently opened, and it is fantastic. I have stayed at most of the other high-end hotels in Indy, and the Le Meridien has moved to the top of my list. My room was stylish and comfortable. The staff were friendly and knowledgable. And the restaurant was really good, with a nice vibe and a unique bar. This is my new spot in Indy.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
LMIndy, General Manager at Le Meridien Indianapolis, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Hello Wlltravel1001,

We are so glad to hear of your great experience at Le Meridien Indianapolis. It is our goal to continuously exceed your expectations through consistent and genuine service. We are honored to be your new "spot in Indy" and look forward to seeing you back in Spoke & Steele soon.

Warm Regards,
Lebanon, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed here Saturday, December 6, 2014 for the Big Ten Championship Game. They opened their doors on Thursday, December 4, 2014.

We arrived just before 3:00, and our room was not ready, but we were happy to wait at the restaurant/bar and have a couple drinks. Someone very kindly offered to stow our suitcase behind the front desk. At 4:00, I went to ask about our room, and Tim (I think that was his name; he looked like Marshall from How I Met Your Mother) was extremely nice, telling me that he would radio housekeeping, and then advise me of an ETA if I'd like to return to my husband at the bar. Tim found me in less than 10 minutes, advising me that our room was ready.

The room was clean, and decorated well. These rooms are not large; okay, they may be small; but I can not express enough that the rooms have personality. Originally the Canterbury, this hotel was built in 1928. As a historical site, there were limitations in which Le Meridien could do in their overhaul of the building. We were extremely happy with our room. The view wasn't great, but we could glance down to St Elmo's; and I don't stay at this location to stay in my room. I go to experience the city. My husband and i typically have opposite bed tastes when staying at hotels. This was the first hotel bed in 13 years of marriage in which we both said that we slept well.

We had drinks at the Spoke & Steele Restaurant while waiting to check in, and then again upon returning to the hotel. We sat at the bar, which at this point in time, due to some grand-opening limitations, I would recommend over getting a table. They are not fully stocked for all drinks, which we were told upon sitting down (in an abolutely polite way.) While watching the bartenders make drinks, it was clear that they have embraced the long lost art of true drink making. At one point, I apologized for staring at one of the bartenders as he made a set of drinks for other patrons. His response: "I'm not doing me job if you're not watching me." Drink prices had a wide range, but with $4 Coors Light drafts, we were more than pleased. It would have been nice to see a Bud Light draft or bottle option.

We had chosen to use valet parking (first time in my life.) The valet staff was punctual, and extremely helpful when I realized that we had forgotten two items in the vehicle in our haste to get the hell off the streets during a crazy spots weekend. Upon checking out, the front desk staff proactively called the valet to advise them that we were checking out. We have been at much larger hotels in which we have walked by other guests waiting at least 30 minutes for their car to be returned to them. With this smaller hotel, I would not hesitate to use valet again.

When my husband and I return to Indy for a night on the town, this will likely be the first hotel that I look for. That being said, I would not spend what we spent for a non-Big Ten championship game weekend. If you are a traveler who needs everything flawless, I would recommend waiting until mid-February to go. If you want a sprawling view of the city, you'll probably prefer the JW; that being said, I've found myself lost and overwhelmed there, feeling as an ant among thousands there. Le Meridien nailed it; where smiling staff ensured an amazing stay.

Thank you so much; I look forward to seeing you sooner rather than later.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello jmariegobucks,

Thank you for the detailed review! These are the things we need to hear to consistently improve our product and service offering. Opening a hotel to a sold out weekend was a challenge we were eager to take on, and admittedly there are some areas to focus on for improvement. We look forward to getting better each day and looking very forward to your next trip to downtown Indy.

Warm Regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I dont normally leave reviews but my wife and I stayed here for the Big 10 game this weekend. The pictures online just don't do this hotel justice. Our room had everything we could have needed and more! A tv in the bedroom and another in the "living room" PLUS a third in the bathroom!
The bed was very comfortable and the room had blackout cutains that actually blacked out!
We will be staying here again for sure.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Hello John,

Thank you so much for being the first guest to review the new Le Meridien Indianapolis! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to having you back as our guest again soon.

P.S. The TV's in the bathroom are my favorite feature of the suites!

Nick Clark

Been to Le Meridien Indianapolis? Share your experiences!