“Love the zoo and gardens in Indy!” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Zoos
Activities: Viewing wildlife, Leisure education
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Home to over 2,000 animals and Indiana's largest aquarium, this 64-acre zoo has lions, elephants and other wild animals roaming through natural settings. A special petting area allows children to touch, but not feed, the tamer animals. There's also the world's largest enclosed dolphin show and a roller-coaster for all ages to enjoy.
15 attraction reviews
“Love the zoo and gardens in Indy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

The Indianapolis Zoo has many pluses. I love the marine animals area and the tiger exhibit. I rate it 4 only because I have been to a lot of zoos and other cities seem to have a larger sampling of animals and better foliage. (such as Cincinnati, San Diego and Jacksonville.) For a city Indy's size, it is a great gem.

32 attraction reviews
“Fantastic zoo--well worth a family membership”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I reviewed the Indy Zoo last year, but since then, I have purchased a family membership and now visit virtually every week. I have been surprised to see some reviews indicating that the zoo is expensive or too small, or that the environment is too artificial for the animals. I have visited a lot of museums and zoos both in the U.S. and while living abroad. In my experience, the zoo is competitively priced, yet enough though the price is average, the experience is far better than average. Many of the animals roam free, unlike famous zoos like the Washington DC National Zoo. I realize that real estate is far cheaper in Indy and that the zoo is much newer, so Indy may have an unfair advantage. Nevertheless, I have a strong preference for the Indy format, rather than the tight confines of the National Zoo. It's not the wild animal park of San Diego, of course, but it's closer to that than it is to the typical zoo with essentially jail cells for all of the animals. I do wish, however, that the Indy zoo had pandas! I have lived in China, where virtually every zoo seems to have them. Finally, if you plan repeat visits, buy a membership. Not only does it make the price a real bargain (including making the parking free), but it gives you access to fantastic seasonal programs like Christmas at the Zoo, weekly jazz during the summer, Halloween at the Zoo, and much more. We even visit just to use the playground equipment and splash park for our toddlers. Nobody with kids should miss this!

Chicago, Illinois
4 attraction reviews
“A day full of fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We came at a perfect time - most children were back in school, so it wasn't crowded. The huge parking lot was almost empty, and we were able to park right by the entrance gate. Our favorite part of the zoo was the aquarium. My four-year-old loves anything to do with water, so we spent most of our time petting the dog sharks and watching the dolphins. The dolphin show was great - I enjoyed it even more than the aquatic shows at our home-town Shedd Aquarium. The underwater viewing area was cool too, although we really couldn't see the animals well.
It was fun to see the baby elephant, and my son enjoyed the areas where you could feed animals and pet the giraffes.

Visited September 2012
Roanoke, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
“Fantastic, Especially Christmas at the Zoo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This was our first time the zoo and it's quite impressive. We went during Christmas time and you could find a number of animals still out. The main attraction was the Dolphin show. We actually went to the zoo in the morning and came back that night for the dolphin show. I've seen better dolphin shows but it's still a great attraction for children and adults.

14 attraction reviews
“Great animal displays and Christmas lights”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The zoo has some great animal displays with plenty of little baby animals and entertaining dolphin shows. During December it has very nice Christmas light displays.