“Fun for the adults and teens, too” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Children's Museums
Activities: Leisure education
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The largest children's museum in the world urges children to dig in and touch everything as they explore the physical and natural sciences, history, world cultures and the arts through exciting interactive exhibits on five floors. There's also a planetarium and a theater with children's plays and live entertainment.
Monticello, Illinois
17 attraction reviews
“Fun for the adults and teens, too”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Even though we live more than two hours away, we have bought a family membership to the Children's Museum several times because there is just too much to see in one visit. Plus, the traveling exhibits mean there is always something new to see, and the reciprocal agreements make the membership a great deal. When our kids were babies/toddlers, we especially appreciated the special play and discovery area for the young ones, and the nursing areas were great respite for a breastfeeding mom.

Columbus, Ohio
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We took the kids over MLK weekend. We got there when it opened and left when it closed. And we didn't make it to all the areas! The kids (ages 3 & 6) and adults had a great time. Areas we especially liked- the dinosaurs, the Match Box race cars, the carosel, the rock wall, the planetarium, the healthy living area, and on and on! We also got to meet and talk to a REAL LIFE archeologist and paleontologist...awesome!

Visited January 2013
63 attraction reviews
“How can someone rate this "average"?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Ok... I have a story to tell. My family moved to the great lakes area when my daughter was 9 and my son was 3. The next year, we went to this museum. I'd planned a weekend trip to Indianapolis from Chicago - and figured we'd spend Saturday at the museum and Sunday at the zoo. We spent 7 hours at the Children's Museum on Saturday - and after dinner that night - I gave the kids the option of returning or going to the zoo. Now, keep in mind that my older child loves zoos - and wants to become a zookeeper. But... you've guessed the punchline. Both wanted to return to the Children's Museum. Our first weekend in Indianapolis - and they spent 2 full days there. Since then, we've gone back 2 more times with both my kids and most recently a 4th time with just my younger one.

This place has 5 floors - over 200,000 square feet of exhibits. It is great for 4 year olds, 8 year olds, and even 12 year olds. Beyond that... move to an adult museum.

The dinosaur exhibit area is the best - when you are there - you really feel like you are in another world. Leaving there felt like moving to a separate museum.

The place is so big that my kids always felt they never saw it all in one day - and couldn't find their way back to where they started.

I've been to 15-20 Children's museums as I love doing this with my kids - and this one is definitely the best.

Visited November 2012
9 attraction reviews
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Loved this place! Its been a few years but my little girl still talks about it! So many things to look at and do:) It's a must if your in the area and you have kiddos to entertain...

Visited March 2012
4 attraction reviews
“New Hot Wheels exhibit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We come here at least once a year with our young sons. And they love it every time. We love it as well. Almost always find something new to see! The new Hot Wheels exhibit was really neat to see!