“Yucky Dump” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Hammond
Grand Cayman
“Yucky Dump”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I hate Hotire for putting me there. It is a trucker dump that smells like urine. The windows look out to semis and tractor-trailers hogging the parking lot. God help you when they rev up in the morning. The pool was nice and had green grass around it - I should have slept by the pool because the bed was rancid and toilet would not shut off. Did I say I hate Hotwire for lying????

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
dipti68, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Northwest Indiana Inn, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
I was very surprised at the level of vitriol in your review. We have new mattress and box springs in all of our rooms. They are Serta pillowtops and we are consistently complimented on our beds. I am sorry that you did not have the same experience. I would have hoped that had you not had a comfortable stay, you would have contacted our desk, and had your room changed, or asked for the General Manager. By posting your comments only on Trip Advisor, you have eliminated our ability to "make things right". At the very least, we expect our guests to have experienced a caring staff , a clean room, and access to guest amenities that are maintained well. Those are the things that we can control. We have a very diverse clientel. Some days we do have over the road truckers who use our facility. We have more than ample parking and truckers are encouraged to use the back lot of the hotel, or the side lot. Our front lot is the largest lot we have, and we do not allow truck parking there. If the location of your room was an issue, at check-in you could have requested a poolside room and we would have been more than able to accommmodate that request. The truck drivers whom you found objectionable, actually pay a much higher rate than the Hotwire rate you received. They certainly deserve the same hospitality that we afford to all of our guests, including guests with discounts. We do not descriminate, and we cannot believe that any American would expect us to.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

I am in the bail bond business and am ex-military. The first free times I stayed there the only problems werethat the windows would not lock & secure, not good if you are on the ground floor. That last time I stayed there I came in with most of my gear. My car was parked in front of the front door, front desk & security guard. The gear I left in the truck was a combat shotgun hidden in the backseat where it could not be seen from the outside. As I was walking in the hotel personnel must have noticed I did not have my shotgun. I went up to the room to get a few hours of rest. I later came down to smoke & everything was fine.

I went back to my room & arbour an hour later I went back downstairs to smoke & as I was walking out the guard asked me if that was my truck & asked me if I had a shotgun stolen. How would he know what I had stolen before I did? Sure enough, the shotgun was gone.

During the police investigation, the guard told them he had been on the third floor (my floor) while this had happened. My truck was in full view of the security camera, but unfortunately their system wasn't working during the burglary. Sound suspicious to you???? It sure did to me. The guard was not at his normal post (on my floor for some reason), the front desk clerk was away from his position, & the security video just happened to be down all at the same time. The conclusion from the investigation was that it was an inside job. The only way they knew the shotgun was in my truck was because the guard & hotel clerk saw me without it. I'd stay away from this place if I were you & and I can guarantee I will never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010
dipti68, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Northwest Indiana Inn, responded to this review, December 27, 2010
The security cameras we have installed around the perimeter of the hotel, and in hotel lobbies, are in place to act as a deterrent. We do not have the equipment that would give facial recognition or plate numbers.. Our system records with motion only, and sometimes it does not pick up movement. To view the recorded information takes time, and the most that it would indicate is someone standing near the car, we would not see much beyond shadows. We sympathize with the guest, the loss of his rifle. We understand from guest and employee review of the incident, that the guest had brought the rifle into the hotel. He let everyone he met, know that he was a bounty hunter. There was every indication that other guests were able to hear that he was a bounty hunter. We work diligently with the City of Hammond to stop automobile theft or vandalism. These occurences are periodic. Our statistics are no greater or lessor than any other hotel within a 5 mile radius. We do our best to encourage guests not to leave things in their cars that would encourage this kind of crime, such as CD's, GPS Systems, and most definitely firearms. We are in an industrial area with 2 hotels as our neighbors, and 3 more hotels 1 mile down our road. We will also have 3 additional hotels built on our block. If our area was unsafe, you would not see the growth of our industry. We are blessed with family reunions, leisure travel, business travel and bus tours. The experience this guest had at our location is not typical. More than 25000 travelers have stayed with us this year, less than 12 individuals have had things stolen from their vehicles. We installed cameras to benefit our guests, as a deterrent only, and they seem to be working on that basis. Our Night Watchman is there to be a second help to the desk. His job is to walk the interior floors, and the parking lot, again AS A DETERRENT ONLY. We do not expect our Night Watchmen to do more that call the police when they suspect something suspicious. There is nothing to indicate an "inside job". The watchmen have been with us for a number of years. They are courteous and diligent. In talking to staff we learned the guests actions in having the rifle on the luggage cart etc., exposed himself to risk. It is not unusual that the night watchman would be told about the theft of items from your vehicle. He would most likely be on the first told, since he is required to fill out a report daily.
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

Nestled in the southwest corner of intersection I-80 / I -94 and Cline Ave, Best Western is accessed from Cline Avenue South. There's no immediate exit to the motel, so one must follow Cline Avenue South one mile to first traffic light, make a hairpin right turn, and follow a service road back one mile to the motel. Three motels sit on this service road between the Expressway and a marsh.

The parking lot is well lighted with adequate parking near the front door. All rooms are accessed from an inside hall. The lobby is bright, welcoming, and furnished as a conversation area. The clerk was receptive and friendly. She told us how to find our room.

Our spacious room looked fresh with earth tones. It contained a very comfortable King bed, armchair, hassock, microwave, refrigerator, desk, big TV, large dresser, several light fixtures, and 3 mirrors with space between them. The bathroom was large and bright. The shower head was forceful and adjustable.

The breakfast area is not free. It is deemed a restaurant. One can purchase a mix of coffee, OJ, pancakes, eggs, bacon, and sausage for about $5 to $8.

There is an onsite pub that takes cash only.

The expressway is north of the motel. Taking the expressway west leads to Kennedy Avenue, Indianapolis Blvd, and Calumet Ave. They all have restaurants and coffee shops. Taking Cline Avenue South 2 miles leads to Ridge Road, a commercial link to restaurants for several miles in either direction.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Hammond, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

This is not the best Hotel I stay in, but the staff is great!! I have been in this area 5 days a week for the last year, and continue to stay at this location just because of the staff. I hate the fact that this location does not have a coffee room or at least coffee in the lobby, and that the Bar has band smoking even though the State allows it. This location has lost a lot of money due to the fact that I drink at a outside location, but overall I like this Hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

I will never ever stay in this motel again. The bed sheet was stained so I had to sleep on top of the blanket, plus the bed was very uncomfortable. There were 4 longs hairs on one of the pillows so I slept on a pillow covered with a towel. What a dump!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
dipti68, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Northwest Indiana Inn, responded to this review, November 24, 2010
The Best Western NW Indiana Inn has consistently earned extremely high cleanliness scores. In the month of October 2010, our hotel was awarded the Directors Award from Best Western International for excellence during our October Quality Assurance Inspection. This is a highly competitive award, and we were pleased to receive the recognition. The review you posted describes a series of issues that I am appalled to hear about. You do not mention whether or not you contacted staff regarding the linen problem in your room. I assure you that our staff have all graduated from the Best Western International "I Care" training program, and are each empowered to solve guest issues. We would have at a minimum changed your room. I hope you will give us an opportunity to serve your needs again, whenever your travel plans call for overnight accommodations in Hammond. We would like to show you the award winning customer service we are known for.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

This hotel is located in between 2 "gentleman's clubs". We were visiting the area with a group of teenage girls, and so was not something we appreciated them having to look at everytime we came or went. The hotel also did not have a breakfast. It had to be purchased from the restaurant. The pool is an outdoor pool only and so is only seasonal and was not open, obviously, in April. The room was clean. The beds were comfortable. But the hotel does show its age in the ceilings and walls, etc of the room. The countertop in the bathroom seemed like if I leaned on it, it would fall apart. Also, they do allow smoking in some rooms and you can smell this smoke throughout the hotel halls, but not so bad in your own room. I had no problem getting wifi internet in my room.

Stayed April 2010
We appreciate your taking the time to give feedback on your hotel experience. Our location is not something that can be managed by the property. Our hotel was built prior to the businesses coming in, that you have described. One of the gentleman's club is located next to State of Indiana business. The other side has two hotels next to it, prior to our Best Western, so we are not in fact "sandwiched between" this establishment. The second gentlemans club is located several hundred feet on the other side of our parking lot. Between it and our hotel is an engineering business, a holiday business, and mini strip of various companies, and a side road. The second gentlemans club is well down that side road. Although we personally would like not to have these business in our area at all, our country promotes free enterprise, and the owners of these establishments, by law, have a right to operate. There are no windows or advertising on either of these businesses, and most of our guests do not even know they are there.
Jeffersonville, IN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

The turn from Cline Ave on to 179th is easy to miss and I did. I called the Hotel and Stephen, the front desk clerk was unable to give me directions. I should have taken this as sign of things to come.

I check in and set up my laptop and the Internet will not connect. I go to the front desk and Stephen says,'I don't know, you can bring your computer up here to the lobby, it usually works here." I am not interested in doing anything remotely important from their lobby where people can look over my shoulder. He gave me the key to the "Business Center" which consists a computer and a printer.

I return to my room hoping to catch a short nap and I turn on the TV to complete snow, the reception is so bad, it can't be described as reception. I return to the front desk and Stephen says 'Wow, nothing is working for you today." and that was the sum total of effort he used to try and resolve my issues. No offer of a different room, no offer to send someone to look at the TV, nothing.

I am angry, I don't shout or ever make a scene but I am upset enough, that I wasn't able to sleep so the nap went out the window. I had been driving since 3 AM and I really needed a nap.

When I returned that evening, a different person was behind the front desk and I told him
to cancel my stay for the next evening and the only reason I didn't leave immediately was the five hour drive home that I was too sleepy to attempt. He gave me a different room with a TV that worked and the Internet worked in that room also. He said Stephen was still a trainee and didn't know how to talk to customers but I say good luck trying to train the apathetic.

The hotel is not a good value for the money, even if it was perfect. I paid $126 after tax for a room my wife might refuse to stay in.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

Been to BEST WESTERN Northwest Indiana Inn? Share your experiences!