“Poor Customer Service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
You added Econo Lodge to your Saves list
Econo Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4000 South Calumet Avenue, Hammond, IN 46320 (Formerly Magnuson Hotel Hammond)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Hammond
Indiana
“Poor Customer Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

This hotel has the pooriest customer service even down to the owner. I let my watch in the room and discovered I left it 30 minutes after I checked out. I called the hotel immediately and was told they would contact the cleaning supervisor and get back with me. I called them back and of course no one knew what I was talking about and told me to call back they would check. I called back and they said they couldn't check because they had placed someone else in the room. I spoke to the owner Terrance Hill and he was suppose to call me back after he checked with the maid. I have place several calls to him and no return calls he asked me if it was expensive. We will never stay at his hotel and will encourage everyone not to stay in a place where employees are not honest and the owner has no respect for customer service. Not following through lets me know this is not a place that values customers are deserves return business.

• Liked — The one front desk person was very nice.
  • Disliked — The poor customer service.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

This Was The Worst Hotel Stay. My Family And I Checked In On Thusday Night The Day Before The 4TH, I Reserved To 2 Rooms W/ Double Beds And Rollways, When we got there, Only One Room Had a Rollaway Bed, One Of the Rooms The Phone did not work for the whole 3 days we were there, My brother had to come to my room to call downstairs to the front deskI , went out on friday morning to the taste of chicago, we came back that evening the room had not been cleaned at all no fresh towels clean sheets or anything so i called to the front desk to talk to the rude hotel staff especially and lady by the name of Claudia and i talked to the manager explained the situuation -his name was Terrence Hill he asked to see the room which i thought was kind of odd but never the less i took him upstairs to the room to show him that it had not been cleaned he assured me he would handle this and it would not happen again and would take something off our bill for the trouble, well the next day we leave out to see the more sights of the chicago, come back to the hotel and i walked in my room and was happy they cleaned the room well come to find out all they did was the bathroom they made up the bed without changing the sheets, they wre the same sheets from the night before . I called down to the front desk and talked to a Claudia who was very rude I demanded my money back she stated that was not going to happened. I called the managed that I had talked to the day before he told me he was out of town and I would have to speak with somebody else . NEEDLESS TO SAY NOTHING WAS EVER DONE TO ACCOMADATE MY FAMILY AND I WHEN WE CHECKED OUT WE WERE GIVING $10.00 REFUND PER THE MANAGER FOR ALL THE TROUBLE WHAT A JOKE. I WILL BE CONTACTING THE CORPORATE OFFICE, I WILL NEVER STAY AT A QUALITY INN AGAIN ESPECIALLY THIS ONE.

• Liked — nothing, absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — everthing was terrible, this hotel should be closed.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Columbia, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

I had a hard time reserving a room in Chicago because of the prices- so we stayed about 30 minutes out-- in Hammond, Indiana at the Quality Inn and the room was 70$/night and was clean and decent. Which when I looked online in Chicago- I couldnt find anything cheap except motels with no reviews of thier quality. That hotel is located right off the I-80/I-94 interstate.

St. Louis, MO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

Though I'd read bad reviews about this property before I stayed there, I had kept an open mind. Still, I wasn't really prepared for what we were walking into -- though I got a clue when we saw that the "L" in "Quality" was falling off the outside of the building! The entire first floor (with the exception of the lobby) looked worn and visibly dirty, and the smell of chlorine from the pool permeated most of the main area.

In our guest room, the first thing we encountered was a dirty towel hanging in the bathroom; the linens were also stained. (Obviously, the chlorine they use in the pool is not being similarly used in the laundry...)

Service from the front desk and housekeeping were fair at best -- no one was rude, but no one was particularly eager to fulfill requests (such as fixing a non-functioning air conditioner or arranging a wake-up call).

The hotel is in a marginal part of town, and not close to anything worth seeing. Hammond in general is not a picturesque or charming town -- if you don't need to be there for some reason, stay elsewhere!

• Liked — It was close to the church event I was attending
  • Disliked — Run-down and dirty
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2007

Quality Inn on Calumet Ave. in Hammond, In. is a TOTAL DUMP. Obnoxious odors waif when entering, a mixture of bleach and some other unidentifiable odor. A couch in the entranceway has cushions that dont match the couch and is FILTHY. The odor permiates through to the room (3RD FLOOR). Housekeeping left us without washclothes, pillowcases on one bed. Walls are filthy, doors are filthier still if possible. Lampshades have some kind of "gunky" stains (all three) and a chair in the corner is sooooo dirty you wouldnt even want to sit on it. The entertainment center for the TV hasnt been wiped down in who knows how long and stains all down the front of it (semen?), The bathroom floor grouting is BLACK - not under the sink which SHOULD BE a light beige - FILTHY. Pictures hanging above the beds with fingerprints and more "gunk" all over them. Bathroom door has "something" looking like snots all over it. DISGUSTING/ and to top it off the AC didnt work and they dont have maintenance PLUS no ice buckets, no ashtrays and no one gives a dam*.
FILTHY/DISGUSTING/AWFUL/HORRID and did I mention FILTHY?

Stayed September 2007
Flushing, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2007

If you are coming from the East or South, this is a great alternative for a one night stay before going on to the high priced Chicago hotels. It is 21 miles to the Loop in Chicago via the I-90 toll road, which has a easy entrance not far from the motel. The toll to Chicago is $3.50.
Our room was large and very clean. The king bed was very comfortable. It had a coffeemaker, microwave, ironing board & iron, etc.
The lobby had complimentary high-speed Internet access. A morning newspapers was available in the lobby. The complimentary continental breakfast had several cereals, a wafflemaker, fruit, bagels, muffins, juice, tea, coffee. The staff was very friendly. The motel has an indoor pool.
The area is industrial, so not much to do at night. Several casinos are nearby.
We'd stay here again, while en route to Chicago.

• Liked — Price, compared to the first night in Chicago.
  • Disliked — Location in industrial area
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2007

We did not choose this hotel. It was a basketball tournament, so the school gave us hotel assignments. I don't consider myself that picky, but this hotel was below standards. I was not the only one complaining either. Many parents shared my view. In the bathroom, out of 4 lightbulbs, one worked. One was hanging by a thread. They did fix this that evening. The desk chair had dried food all over the seat. They cleaned it, but still unable to sit on it as you could still see food. The elevator floor was sticky! The pool was nice, but couldn't watch the kids very long inside because so much chlorine it made your eyes water. Gym had one treadmill, one stepper, and one weight machine. Couldn't get the treadmill to work. Overflowing garbage cans in the breakfast area. No fruit or anything healthy. Waffles, cereal, muffins. That's it. Oh, bread and butter also. Certainly not home away from home and certainly not QUALITY!

• Liked — small
  • Disliked — dirty
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!