“Lots of food, good service, keeping the tradition alive!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Willie and Red's

Willie and Red's
40 E Main Street, Hagerstown, IN 47346 (Formerly Welliver's)
765-489-4131
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Hagerstown
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
LaPorte, Indiana
“Lots of food, good service, keeping the tradition alive!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Lived in Hagerstown 35 years ago, just down the street from Welliver's. Ate there as often I could. Returned with our daughter Oct.24th and ate at the new Willie and Red's. The newly redecorated restaurant was great with the old mill wheel still turning. The portions are generous, the appetizer (chicken livers) was great and the extra appetizers provided free were an added surprise. The service was very good and the people were as friendly as I remembered them. Wish we could go there regularly - the quality and value are more than equal to our similar restaurants in northern Indiana!

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Cambridge City, Indiana
“little things are changing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

The onion strings are dry and crunchy. The chicken livers are dry and no/very little green onion. Come on guys/girls the small details make this place.Still a great place to go...
Paul

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Glad we gave it a try”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We ate here several times when it was Welliver's, and based on comments here, almost didn't stop. We were so glad we did. We arrived right about 4 p.m. on a Saturday and were greeted immediately by a very friendly hostess. Our waitress was equally prompt and pleasant all through the meal. We found many of the same items we enjoyed previously, including fried chicken livers, scalloped cabbage and really great potato salad. Lots of pie and cake selections, and the coffee was excellent. We'll make the two-hour drive from Fort Wayne to eat here again, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend giving Willie and Red's a try.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Muncie, IN
“Fantastic food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Dined here Oct. 11, 2013 for first time since business changed owners and name, which is now Willie and Reds, website willieandreds.com. I tried the smorgasboard, companion ordered from menu. Both were excellent. Salad bar includes the homemade crutons and cinnamon bread with white icing just like we had enjoyed served for decades by prior owners. Large selection of desserts. Roast beef and fried chicken outstanding. Food similiar to excellent Amish buffets in northern Indiana. Server volunteered how long menu items would take to cook so we could order accordingly. Seated in room with a large turning mill wheel, very nice atmosphere. All buffet tables and other fixtures appeared to be new. All hot food was indeed hot and cold food truly cold on the buffets. This place is 45 minutes from my home; I plan to return at least one a month from now on.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Not the same service I remember ....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Well I can start by saying I've been a patron of the establishment as far back as the 70's. Always a favorite place for my family, for being close to home and great food and love the atmosphere. I must say this most recent trip was somewhat embarrassing for my husband and I. We had friends in town for the weekend so we thought, lets go to willies! We decided to have the smorgasbord for a change for our guests to have more variety to choose from. The food was OK, nothing like wellivers was, but OK. Now, the service...I don't even know my servers name but quick description is she had a long brown ponytail, skinny girl wearing all black, to be honest looks like they found her at the local "greasy spoon". Very unprofessional as she was vocally complaining to another server about a previous tip she had received...I'm not the situation with that previous table but from MY experience she seemly was flaunting herself on my husband and the other man who was with us. Paying very little attention to us ladies. Little did she know, I PAY THE BILL, and its I who will be tipping her. So joke was on her. I have never received service like that there before, we typically frequent the menu and get very exceptional service when dining. But despite the service the food was descent, ill just request another server if I happen to ever get here again. The besides that experience I wish the new owners the best of luck and hope that they do succeed as Guy Wellivers did for so many years. Still the best filet I've ever had.

• Visited May 2013