“Yum yum” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #67 of 160 Restaurants in Greenwood
Cuisines: Seafood
“Yum yum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

Country style fish is soooo good especially if you dip it in their honey mustard sauce! I go once a week and each time it's wonderful. The staff is always friendly and the store manager has been there a long time which is why I think this place is so successful. He knows how to cook and train his staff to meet his high standards. Never had a bad meal but if you do, they will make sure to make it right.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Greenwood, Indiana
“better than long johns!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

very polite staff and great value for a family meal.

Visited May 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Best fast food fish around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

Wife and I ate here on Friday Jan 6, 2012. We eat here at least once a month. We would probably have it more often, but it is about 10 miles away. The fish is awesome. The fried fish is never greasy and it is cooked to perfection. The staff is very friendly and you get plenty of food for the money. I always tease my wie that we are too young to eat in there(mid-40's) because seems like everyone in there is over 60( I guess cause it's such a good value). If you try this, you'll never want LJS again.

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Greenwood, Indiana
“OUTSTANDING FOOD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

This is by far the best place to eat "fast food" fish. The good quality is outstanding. The place is VERY clean, and the food does not taste greasy at all.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bloomington, IN
“Excellent seafood at a value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

Why review a fast food place, right? I don't usually review fast-food places, but this one is different. I'd seen many Captain D's for years, and passed them by without a second glance. Casting them off as bootleg versions of "Long John Silver's."

And then, one day while shopping in Greenwood, I stopped. I don't know. Fate, I guess. In any case, it was a day that would forever change my perspective of fast-food seafood. So, like their well-known competitors, LJS, Captain D's specializes in fried, batter-dipped fish fillets, fries, slaw and hush puppies. Pretty standard platter. But oh my, there is NOTHING standard about this fish. The Greenwood Captain D's store has PERFECTED cooking fish. I mean it. These guys have the BEST batter-dipped, fried fish I have ever had. The outside is crunchy and golden brown without a lot of grease. The inside is still light, delicate and flaky. The hush puppies are cooked to perfection. The fish is cooked fresh and to order. If you like fried fish, especially batter-dipped fish, I would go so far as to say it's worth making a special trip. And you know what? I put my money where my mouth is because I live almost FIFTY MILES from this store, and I'm there about twice a month!!!! Love this stuff! If you are in the Indianapolis area and looking for good fish that is CHEAP, check it out.

The average meal is around $6, and they have a ton of side dish options: fries; cole slaw; green beans; fried okra; macaroni and cheese; corn on the cob; salad; broccoli; rice; bread; and baked potatoes. At this particular location, they also have side orders of breaded mushrooms; fried green tomatoes; fried pickles and fried cheese sticks. For those who are more health conscious, they also have grilled fish options; including salmon and tilapia. You can also order fried catfish (cornmeal breading), fried shrimp and crab cakes, too. You can get your whitefish with "country-style" breading (cornmeal), if you prefer that to batter-dipped. I am normally a "country-style" gal, but let me tell you, I am HOOKED on their batter-dipped. It's incredible. If you have kids who won't eat fish, they also have chicken strips. They make a phenomenal tea to wash it all down. I like to mix mine with half sweet and half unsweet. :-)

This place is really a steal for the quality of the food and the price. I highly recommend this location (I've tried other locations with mixed results). This place is just outstanding. Oh yeah, and they have a couple of desserts, too. A cheesecake and a chocolate cake.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere