“Very disappointing” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Capri Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 48 Restaurants in Granger
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Dining
indiana
“Very disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Odd location, but the PR the restaurant had done seemed promising. I brought my parents and my daughter to this restaurant - excited to see another nice Italian (non-chain) restaurant. I had a reservation and told them I was bringing my parents and daughter. The restaurant was only half filled and we had to wait quite a while to be seated after we arrived.When we were seated I was a bit stunned that we were seated at the back, near the kitchen door under a 4 ft tall picture of a completely (full frontal not cutely camouflaged with posing) nude Madonna in her Marilyn phase! With my parents and daughter! The lentil soup was very good so I thought the evening might not be a total diasaster. We only ordered one mixed drink in our party - a mojito. It was strong mint and no real lime flavor, very unbalanced. We tried to get the waiter's attention to return it and gave up. My daughter (22 yrs old) just said she would go ask the bartender for more limes and DIY it. The bartender was rude and handed her one small wedge (in her hand), she said she would need more so her dropped two more in her hand (not a small plate or glass). We gave up on the drink (not a cheap drink either). When the food came it ranged from mediocre to bad. My mother's gnocchi was incredibly bland. The shrimp dish my daughter hand was mediocre, but the shrimp portion was quite small for the price. My pork chop had a nice sauce, but was undercooked and I did not eat it. The filet mignon my husband ordered was terrible (he never complains) but said it was the worst steak he has had in a restaurant. The potoatoes were good. We never got a chance to explain any of this to our waiter who would occasionaly zip by dripping with sweat (was he running laps behind the restaurant?). No manager came by to check on us. The check was dropped off without asking how things were. Not wanting to complain in front of my parents, we just paid and knew we would never come back. There are several good restaurants in the area, this is not one of them.

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Granger, Indiana
“Top notch Italian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

The Capri is a wonderful combination of great food, atmosphere and service. The pasta is house made and you can tell. Many of the other item are made in house as well, fresh mozerella, sausage....
The apps are great...marinated artichoke, aged fontina, prosciutto, dried sausage. The roasted red pepper stuffed with ricotta, pine nuts, chicken and raisins is one of my favorites.
The parpadelle with sausage is a hardy, satisfying choice for dinner.
Although i love veal, I have yet to try any of the selections they offer because the pasta dishes are so darn good.
I have dined on 6 occasions without a misstep from the kitchen or waitstaff.
The house wine selection and quality could improve in my opinion. The bar has a decent selection of top shelf booze.
The head of the house, Angela and the barkeep Mike will take good care of you.
You won't be disappointed if you are someone that knows quality when you taste it.
Last visit 8/27/12

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edwardsburg, Michigan
“AMAZING PLACE! GREAT FOOD, ATMOSPHERE AND SERVICE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Finally a great place to eat around here! I just moved here from California and have been looking for a classy sophisticated place with AMAZING FOOD! Capri has it all! From stiff dirty martinis to some of the tastiest pasta and meats that I have ever had. The service is impeccable as well.

Visited August 2012
MI
“classy but mediocre food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

brought three friends to this new place in granger from chicago..not a soul was in there but us..now i know why. very overpriced for very mediocre food..i had lived in chicago for years and been to all the really good italian restaurants both there as well as in surrounding areas of south bend and mishawaka..como inn, when it was in business for years in chicago, and tosi's in stevensville, for example, were and are wonderful..unfortunately capri's has much to be desired..altho very nice decor inside (despite much of being still unfinished), is.actually classy..the service was fair as waitress didn't seem too experienced and all of us were very disappointed with our rather cool meals..the homemade noodles were more polish than italian..and the food was very bland..no seansoing at all ...even the butter for the bread lacked any salt so found it lacking as well..only thing that was decent was wine we had ..would not go back because even tho i complained online the following day about the food no one responded....to me this tells me that the owner is not willing to learn from what his customers have to say..too bad because i cook much better myself at home and its much more tasty and reasonable.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Granger, Indiana
“Breath of Fresh Air!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Service and food were great! Its nice to have a restaurant in Granger that serves authentic food and is unique. My wife and I ususally have to travel to Chicago or Indianapolis to experience this type of dining. I thought the place was beautiful, I felt like I was sitting in the Titantic! Our server informed us there will be a patio outback and the landscaping will be finished next year! My family and I cannot wait to see what else Capri has in store!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere