“It was a pleasant stay...” 4 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Mishawaka - Notre Dame
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1325 E University Dr Court, Granger, IN 46530   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Granger
Boalsburg, PA
“It was a pleasant stay...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2007

I drove to the South Bend area late on a Thursday night for a one-day seminar at Granger Community Church in April of 2007. After I failed to win a bid for a hotel room at Priceline, I booked the cheapest available hotel on Expedia, which was this Red Roof Inn at $62. Though this was more than I had hoped to pay, it was the cheapest in the area. And it is located across the street from GCC, so the location was ideal.

I pulled into town at around 2:00 am, so the lobby was obviously quiet. Check-in was somewhat slow but not too bad. When I entered my room, I was amazed by its size. Both the bedroom and the bathroom were quite spacious, especially for a budget hotel like the Red Roof. The bed was comfortable enough, and the bathroom was impeccably clean.

I have two minor complaints about this hotel. First, there was no TV remote, but at 2:00 am, it really didn't matter to me. I didn't even bother to call the desk to get one, so I have no idea how responsive they would have been to that problem.

The other and somewhat more significant issue was the highway noise, which has been mentioned in other reviews. It was significant, as one might expect from such close proximity to a major interstate highway. I am a heavy sleeper, so once I was asleep, it didn't bother me at all. But for light sleepers, I could imagine how this might present a problem.

In the morning, the continental breakfast was solid if unspectacular. In fact, that description ("solid if unspectacular") might best describe my stay. There was nothing fancy about this place, but it did the job. I had a very pleasant stay at the Red Roof Inn in Mishawaka, Indiana, and I imagine that I might stay here again if I'm in the area.

• Liked — Big, clean rooms
  • Disliked — Highway noise was significant
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Fishers, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2006

We had the "privilege" of staying at the Red Roof Mishawaka for a Notre Dame football weekend. The room was overpriced even in the superheated ND football market.

Be careful when you reserve a room for this hotel on the net. Even though your e-mail confirmation says you can cancel up to date of arrival, the hotel has a 30 day cancellation policy. There is fine print in your e-mail that says check with the individual hotel, but this should have been in the e-mail.

As an earlier review noted, the hotel sits adjacent to the Indiana Toll Road. The building sits perpendicular to the Toll Road. The first room we were given was two rooms from the Toll Road. When we walked in the room, the noise from the highway was very evident. The bathroom was handicapped accessible with a handheld shower wand, with brackets to hold the shower at head level and at tub level. I discovered the upper bracker was open, which would have meant holding the shower wand for our entire shower. For $200 per night, I would at least expect the room to be in working order.

When we asked the front desk if we could move to another room, they did comply by "upgrading" us to the "last room available". A king size room with a jacuzzin in the bedroom area. Unfortuantely this room was a smoking room and the smell was bad. However given this room was as far from the toll road as you could be in the hotel, I took it. The desk clerk told us "most people would not have complained about the shower. They would be happy to have a room for a Notre Dame football weekend."

That comment summed up the attitude at this hotel - be thankful that we are here for you for us to gouge.

The remote control for the TV in our new room worked intermittently, was missing the battery compartment cover. The contintental breakfast was one of the weakest I have seen. Nothing compared to a Hampton and was worse than other Red Roof's I have stayed in.

The noise from the Toll Road was evident in the new room as far from the road as possible. Putting the heater on low fan during the night provided enough "white noise" to allow us to fall asleep. However when I awoke during the night to use the bathroom, I could hear trucks on the highway even with the bathroom door closed.

I will gladly go a few exits back down to the Toll Road to stay in Elkhart for next year's football games. The prices are less and your business is appreciated.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — noise from the highway
  • Tips/Secrets — bring earplugs - use the air conditioner for white noise to limit highway noise
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2006

Clean room, nice staff, but we couldn't get to sleep due to location which is next to a busy highway. We listened to trucks roaring by until the early morning hours. A pillow over my head didn't even help. The complementary breakfast was OK. Don't expect hot coffee after 9:00 am. I would not ever consider staying there again.

Been to Red Roof Inn Mishawaka - Notre Dame? Share your experiences!