“A Very, Clean Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Granger
Marion, Indiana
“A Very, Clean Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

This is an exemplary Red Roof property in terms of cleanliness, looks, and hospitality. (I seriously doubt if this building began its life as a member of the Red Roof franchise because it's just a little too nice.) My floor vacuuming little dog found no crumbs under the bed or anywhere else to devour. And, there was plenty of grass outside for him. The hotel has a large breakfast room and a decent-sized lobby. The breakfast selection was pretty limited with cereal, doughnuts, frozen waffles and white bread as the options. The doughnuts were spectacular, however! There was coffee, orange juice, hot water, and milk to drink. That was it. The only disagreeable thing about the hotel was that smoking rooms were down at one end of the floor, and on my first night there, a strong odor of smoke lingered in the hall. I did not smell anything inside my room, however, and the room next to mine was a smoking room. I did not smell the smoke the second night. I would not hesitate to stay again at this Red Roof.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We arrived late at night and next morning got up to find no towels-called to front desk and had to get dressed and go down and get our own towels. two days later had no toilet paper! when I called front desk they told me I had to come down and get my own so again I had to get dressed and go down even though there were two people at desk when I got there. They were not apolegetic at all, I mean really, no toilet paper in the room!!! I don't expect a 5 star hotel or fancy towel animals every day but I do expect towels and toilet paper! Young woman at front desk was down right rude when I complained. One day they did not make the bed because my daughter had left her blanket laying across the end of the bed, said they couldn't make bed because of "personal item". since this is the first time I have ever stayed at a Red Roof Inn I'm not sure if this is how they all are or this is just a "bad apple".
Only nice part of the hotel was we did have a refrigerator in the room. Lots of other hotels in south bend to stay at besides this one.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Wasaga Beach, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

We used a Room Saver coupon, so it was a great room, with great service, for the money. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Memphis, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

First off, the owner/general manager of this hotel will bend over backwards to make your stay great. With that being said, we did have a couple issues that made our stay not perfect. The rooms, lobbies, etc are clean and well cared for and we were there after that horrendous snowstorm dumped feet of snow in the area and the entrance was always sparkling clean. The lobby had THE most comfortable couch and rocker to sit in. They not only welcome folks with pets, they love having them and for free!!! The staff will help you out with anything and fix anything that is not up to standards. They are friendly and knowledgeble. This is a budget hotel so don't expect big dollar amenities, no pool, no hair dryers in the rooms, no big hot breakfast for free, though they do have continental we didn't participate in, etc. They also have limited hygiene products offered, just shampoo in a packet not bottle and a couple small sized soaps so you might want to bring your own products. The bedding is clean, the mattresses are firm and ok. The carpeting was put in rather shabbily and has sort of a speed bump look to it, but nothing you would trip over. It is standard hotel fare carpet and ugly but you walk on it, not sleep on it so future complaints about this are ridiculous in my opinion. We stayed in a double queen room so I can't say this is true of the king rooms, but we didn't have a traditional living room type chair to sit in, only a couple hard backed chairs for the desk. We are seniors and I hated having to use the desk chair or sit on the bed all the time. Now for things the management cannot do anything about, but you might want to be aware of. First off, the hotel backs up to the Indiana Toll Road so if you can't stand car and semi noise make sure you have them put you at the front of the hotel. It is very noisy in the back. Our heating unit was kind of noisy on and off, but worked very well. Since we live in a large city very close to a busy street the toll road noise did not bother us and neither did the heating units kind of clunk sound when it turned on and off. Secondly, I hated the tub. It is cheap fiberglass, and very deep. I am 5'7",but have short legs. I had to grab the bathroom door handle to help myself into the darn tub and out again so I couldn't shut the door. I am not infirmed so didn't want to take up an assessible room just because of the tub. Finally, our room was non smoking and wreaked of smoke. We told the manager who offered to change our room, but we had already unpacked and such so stayed where we were and I Lysoled the room. I did contact the hotel the day after we returned home and did their survey online saying I felt their housekeeping staff should have recognized the smell before we checked in and laundered all the bedding in cluding the comforters, any mattress pads and such along with sanitazing the air before anyone checked into the room. I received an email the same day from the manager saying the problem will be immediately addressed and not happen again and apologized. Be aware that during Notre Dame football season, ALL hotels no matter how budget or luxury gouge the heck out of consumers so this one could also be pricey. It has been done for years and years and will continue to be so, but any other time of the year, the prices for this hotel are reasonable and we got a senior discount for only $50 a night. As it was a last minute trip because my sister's husband passed away suddenly, we were not disappointed with this budget hotel at all. Take a gamble and try it. I think if you want to save money but have a great hotel experience, this is the place to stay in the South Bend/Mishawaka area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Detroit, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

My job requires that I am in the area once or twice a week in this area. My first choice, always, is the Red Roof Inn in this area. I began staying here a couple of years ago and from the beginning (and consistently) I was impressed. The manager and staff are the CONSUMMATE HOSTS. Their professionalism and pleasant manner are the norm as opposed to every once in awhile like so many other establishments. Although it is not a very new, the housekeeping/cleanliness is impeccable! Any problems during your stay? The staff is right on it to your satisfaction!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

I've stayed at this location several times. The staff is always very friendly--above and beyond! We've never had an issue with cleanliness and they have been helpful and accommodating with any requests. For the price, I haven't found a better place in town!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
STROUDSBURG
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

We spent the night as a break on a 1000+ mile drive. The room was comfortable and clean. The hotel was quiet and the staff was very friendly. The continental breakfast was just donuts and coffee...would have liked some toast or bagels. Coffee was good though. Internet service was excellent and water temp and pressure were great. Considering the price, this was a great stay!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Red Roof Inn Mishawaka - Notre Dame? Share your experiences!