“Excellent campground right off the interstate 80/90” 5 of 5 stars
Review of South Bend/Elkhart North KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granger
South Bend/Elkhart North KOA
You added South Bend/Elkhart North KOA to your Saves list
50707 Princess Way, Granger, IN 46530 (Formerly South Bend/Granger KOA )   |
New Jersey
“Excellent campground right off the interstate 80/90”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stopped here after fighting Chicago traffic and needed a place to relax, this KOA was only 2 miles off the highway and you can literally walk to walgreens, gas station, subway and Italian place that was on the corner. As soon as checked in as we did not make a reservations, two young kids were very helpful in getting us a long pull thru site. They even provided free cookies for my kids. They explained where everything was in the CG and then had someone bring us to our site. The CG even has a little petting zoo(3 animals) which the kids loved as well as ice cream social. The pool was heated with cool night lights and open until 10pm. The laundry facility was excellent was we needed to utilize it. The machines were all very new looking. There was also mini golf and game room. Ran into the owner(thomas) who was cleaning things and they take pride in the CG. The bathrooms were very clean including the isolated shower stalls. The next morning we left but were very pleased with the our overnight find. The recommended the RV hall of fame which was on the way home and only 10 minutes from CG which was very interesting and easy to get to. There is a train that rumbles by across the street but nothing to be concerned with. Would stay again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Erie, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We spent one night here and were pleasantly surprised by the spaciousness of the campground itself. While the RV sites are situated close together (as in most KOA's we've visited), this one had plenty of areas to walk in and enjoy the outdoors. A large pond can be accessed by using the stairs near the office, or by walking down a trail. There is also a short nature trail in the campground and plenty of trees around the campground. The store is well equipped with basic food supplies and other items campers may need for their RV. The bathrooms were clean. We will stay at this KOA if we are passing through this area in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Westville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We really liked this place. Clean, friendly. Laundry, store, private showers, hair dryers, pool, dancing, movies, cable tv at campsite. We stayed at the deluxe site. Further away from everything. Nice playground. Bikes, putt putt. Lots of things to do. Other than no quiet time enforced we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: liked the deluxe campsite with cable hook up and private walls, portico
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

I was in KOA 4 of July with my family . They don't have that much activity for childrens they have games and you can't rent the equipment for free to play, they have a train runs all night so close campground , but is not the owner fault . Our main issue about this place was management bothering us about the noise level it was 18 of us, and we were not loud. This place is not good for large group, children this place is Not fun !
This place is great for senior citizen and people who own Rv's

• Stayed July 2013
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This campground may not be for everyone. I travel with a large group of children and am a huge fan of rules and people enforcing the rules. Thomas was very friendly and helpful and my children enjoyed the petting zoo. The pool was on the cool side -- thermometer said it was 78, but kids felt it was much cooler. Thomas let everyone know what the rules were and since we followed the rules we had a great time. Patricia let us know good places to eat that were near by and offered to deliver the firewood to our site. The kids placed a tent outside and had a rough night sleep due to the location near train tracks.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Traveling on $50/night requires compromise. I carry ultra-light sleeping bag, tent, stove, etc. , and utilize campgrounds when they are convenient. On my first assignment to Elkhart, IN, I researched campgrounds near the MSF Rider Range I would be coaching at that weekend (we aren't "teachers" anymore. . .the braineeaxe in legal decided that noun change reduced our liability, but I digress. )

Online search revealed two KOA campgrounds, the one under review, and one, the drive to which was a few miles more. I was pleased with the pictures of Omish wagons, "quilt gardens", and other country charm elements highlighted on the campsight's web page, and reserved a Kamp Kabin, with heat/ac, ceiling fan, reg bed, bunk bed, no sheets, common bathroom on grounds.

Friday night check in was easy, as I was greeted at the entry gate by the night patrol, riding his trusty golf cart. He lead me throughout the park (it was about 11:00PM) until I was quite lost. We stopped in front of a small log cabin and he bid me good night. As I prepared to rest my old bones, K turned on the AC unit to undo the stifling, 94 f (35 c) Summer's nights effects on the wooden box in which I would be sleeping. A tell-tell rattle emitted from the strggling unit. I never found the switch to turn on the ceiling fan, after trying every switch, nothing turned it on. Maybe it didn't work? I rolled out my sleeping bag and got undressed for sleep. Before I got onto my bed I had to brush sand from my feet. Apparently the previous resident had brought the sand in for an enhanced camping experience. . .my Omish/Country charm expectation faded during the night, chased away by sounds of industry, train cars coupling and semi trucks jake breaking somewhere in the near distance.

The AC managed to drop the temp a few degrees by the time my alarm signaled the start of Saturday. I had time to shower, and after 5 1/2 hours of sweaty wrestling with sleep, I felt the cleaning would be a kindness to my fellows. As I started out to find terhe common bath building I realized I had no idea where it was. Adventurer that I am, I wandered off into the morning's dark heat, in search of what must be a large building in the small camp ground. . . easy enough. Unless one begins moving the wrong direction. . . After a thorough tour of the grounds I got my bearings by increasingly familiar objects. After passing my "Kabin" the third time, I had a pretty good idea which direction I had not searched, and ventured forth to locate the mens shower. Upon entering the large wash basin room I was immediately greeted by the sight of a distinctly feminine posterior. As I struggled to decipher what I had done wrong, a man stepped uncomfortably close to my face and exclaimed, "we didnt think anyone would be up this early!" His paramour exclaimed, "I'm with him!" My disappointment must have been apparent. . .

I returned from a day of successful motorcycle tutilage I returned to my Kabin. We finish by 5:00PM on Saturdays, so I had stopped for some groceries to prepare at my home away from home. As I started the barbie and began preparing my evenings meal, a car pulled up a few cabins down. I paid little heed, going about my task of unwrapping processed meats and snack packages. As I stood to place my sausages on the grill I realized I had a visitor; a grimy looking shitzu had entered my mess, and was attempting to woo a treat with its big eyes. Following closely was a middle aged woman, stepping lighltly, and with impaired ability. Noticeably she was wearing a bikini bottom, and a dirty tank t-shirt worn to near transparency.

Her speach was undecipherable, but I think she was inquiring about her dog. This new visitor did not stop at the barbie, but continued into my camp proper, and sat herself down at my picnic table! She began to mumble, spastically enthusiastic about whatever topic she was attempting to relate. Shortly, a man came over, introducing himself as the husband. He explained their day at the river, swimming and embibing in imported tequila. He assured me he would return to collect his wife upon unpacking the car. Strangely, he retreived the dog.

The bikini bottom woman in the see through tank continued to fade at my table. I stood at my barbie, watching over my meal. As I retreived my perfectly prepared kielbasa, I turned to find the nymph had laid herself down upon my table top and was no longer conscious of the world about her. I surrendered to the irony of the situation, curious about the position of the stars in light of the morning's encounter, and now this. Was God trying to tell me something? As I sat down to my newly centerpieced table, the husband reappeared. "What is she doing now?" he asked. My reply. "serving a buffet."

As the husband shoveled his innappropriately intoxicated spouse off my table, the Kamp Patrol rolled up, to the rescue. Confusion insued as the peacekeeper ferreted out the facts. When the ethereal smoke cleared, the intoxicated couple were sent (in their car. . .) packing.

My second night was a carbon copy of the first, hot and haunted by the sounds of industry.

As an afterthought, the common bath was clean, except for the dirty couple, who, as I think of it, were probably freshly scrubbed.

• Stayed July 2012
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We rolled in quite late, but were greeted instantly by someone on duty who helped us check in quickly and he guided us in person directly to our site. He gave us a quick low down of the area and provided suggestions on where to eat. Kudos to Randy for a job well done!

The washrooms and showers were very good .. we did not partake in the pancake breakfast, but it did smell really good.

For campgrounds this was top notch .. trains were close but I did not hear anything while sleeping, so not a problem for me.

I recommend this campsite to anyone looking for good value.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to South Bend/Elkhart North KOA? Share your experiences!