“Quality, Independent alternative to the Seattle chain across the street!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Payne's

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 17 Restaurants in Gas City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: It's not listed yet, but they have a great place and I have pictures and comments if I can figure out how to do a new restaurant.
Marion, Indiana
“Quality, Independent alternative to the Seattle chain across the street!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Authentic coffee and espresso drinks, without the pretentiousness or the inflated prices of the national chain coffee-shop across the street, Paynes also offers a broader menu choice, including some wonderful sandwiches and soups. Perfect for a January day! The staff is always friendly, and the prices are comparable to Starbucks, but all in all, a better value!

Visited January 2013

Mount Vernon, Ohio
“Save your money!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Way too expensive for what you get. Very disappointed in the quality and the quantity of the food. Ridiculous prices for frozen yogurt.

Visited December 2012
Austin
“Trendy little place in the middle of nowhere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This place was so good. I had been traveling in the middle of nowhere for about a week. I was so happy to find upscale food at this little highway intersection. Not expecting great food I was thrilled to have a 'foodie' meal.

If you want big standard truck stop food you will not like this place. If you want good, upscale food with good ingredients this is the place for you. I think I was told they use local farmers but I can't remember.

They could be a success in downtown Chicago.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Indiana
“Best food in the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

If you like soups and sandwiches and homemade ice cream and coffee with a gourmet touch, you'll love Paynes. They also have a great outdoor eating area. Paynes is one of the best restaurants in the area!!!

Visited November 2012
Muncie, Indiana
“Not what you would expect for an interstate exit option”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Every time we go past this exit, we are curious about Payne's. If you tried to find their website, you also know how lacking it is. :( We typically screen new restaurants by their website or through friends who had eaten there. Since neither of these resources were available, Payne's got avoided multiple times. Today... we gave it a try. I am so glad we did. It was in between main meal times, so we found the place only about 1/4 full. (I don't know what it's like during meal "rush hour"). Quirky decor, interesting staff, and a diverse menu (with several vegetarian options.) Everything looked and tasted high quality. Their menu boasts the use of local and fresh ingredients when available. The presentation was fantastic. I had the Wisconsin cheddar soup in a bread bowl. It was great and had a delicious cheese crust on top. It was more than enough to fill me up. My husband had the turkey and bacon burger which was not what we expected at all. Having a favorite turkey burger at another restaurant, his standards were high. And this burger far surpassed his expectations. It was obvious that it was handmade, with fresh herbs inside. The burger was served with coleslaw on top. You can tell they have a real pride in their food. It was presented with flourish on a silver platter. It was on a french bread and stood about 6 or 7 inches tall. (He had to eat it with a knife and fork. I think it would be extremely difficult to get your mouth around it.) It was a bit cold today (being November), but I would also like to point out that they had a very whimsical looking patio section, including some semi-private booths outside. I bet it looks amazing in the spring and summer. Can't wait to see it then! I can see how this restaurant would draw a lot of the local college students, which would make some people (including me) feel out of place. But, don't be afraid to try something new... I'm glad I did!

• Visited November 2012