“Went for the golf but loved the hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of French Lick Resort

Save Saved
You added French Lick Resort to your Saves list
French Lick Resort
8670 W. State Rd 56, French Lick, IN 47432 (Formerly French Lick Springs Resort)   |
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in French Lick
Lynchburg, Ohio
“Went for the golf but loved the hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

We went to the French Lick to take our kids on a USGA golf course fit for them. The place is very beautiful and the room was one of the nicest ones we have been to thus far. It was one of the first places I have stayed at and felt like I was sleeping in my own bed. Overall, the hotel has very beautiful decor and you can definitely tell that the restoration cost was up there! They try to incorporate other family activites, such as tennis, bike riding and bowling. However, if you plan on staying there more than a couple of days and like to stay active, you will become bored rather quickly. We checked out the casino while our kids participated one of their programs and it was very clean. My husband and I do not smoke and this is the only casino we have been to in the area where we didn't feel like we were being hit in the face with smoke! If your looking for a peaceful, slow-paced weeked then the French Lick is it!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

498 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Bloomington, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

My girlfriends and I spent a night at this resort for an "unofficial" high school reunion while we were all in our hometown over the Christmas holiday. Upon arriving, everything was great. We were assisted at the door by a very nice man named Bill. He was extremely helpful in getting our bags to our room, recommending a restaurant for dinner, and calling the shuttle to take us there. This dinner was excellent, although the club (The Donald Ross Golf Course and Country Club) was understaffed.

Upon our return to the hotel, we tried our luck in the casino until the bar closed. We were unfortunately rooming near two crotchety women who complained about the noise that we made in the hall upon arriving back at our rooms. They had given us dirty looks and made comments to us even prior to our going to dinner. Basically, they didn't like us talking in the hall. I understand that this is not the hotel's fault, and I do not blame them for it. However, the manner in which the security guard treated us was inexcusable. We were immediately threatened with a call to the police and public intoxication arrests. Mind you, we were IN our room and the people on the other side of our room verified that they could not hear us. After this shocking and demeaning visit, the security guard stood in the hallway outside our room for quite a long time. During this time, we made no noise and watched him stare at our room through our peephole.

Once he was out of sight and we felt comfortable, one of us made a trip to the ice machine. She came back to say that he was still stalking our room in the hallway but had simply moved a couple of doors down. Within minutes of her return, he pounded on our door again and began harassing us once more. He claimed that he could hear us from down the hallway and the manager joined him this time. He threatened us once again with a call to the police, he spoke very degradingly towards us and made such statements as "Have you EVER stayed in a hotel before?" We are not kids. We are all professionals in our mid-30s and were there to have a good time catching up with each other. We have never been treated so poorly in our lives as we were by this security guard who kept barging into our room while we were in our pajamas and trying winding down for the night.

The manager was eventually helpful and offered to move us to another room because it was obvious that the women rooming near us had personal issues with us. We were uncomfortable staying in a room where they could complain and have us arrested, no matter what we said. Upon discovering that he had no more double rooms available, he moved us to two king rooms for no extra charge. We went to bed and fell asleep as soon as we were in our new rooms, after one final threat from the security guard. Other than a phone call from the manager, waking me and my friend at 6AM to ask if we had been to the front desk asking for him, the rest of the night was uneventful.

Upon receiving her credit card statement, we discovered that we were charged for an extra night in one of the rooms (the night after our check-out). This charge is currently being disputed with the hotel.

This resort used to be a fun destination for many in our party (there were eight of us total) but I, for one, will never return. The security guard's superiority complex, berating treatment, and stalking of our room was very disconcerting.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

My family of 9 adults and 2 children recently spent a few days over Christmas. We were told that Santa would be there, but all activities for the children ended by 12/19, so we missed everything. The pool and hot tub are great and the rooms are well done and very clean. We were disappointed in the overall choices for food; buffet etc. Diamond Jim's Cafe was good, but you couldn't bring children as it was through the casino. Our options for feeding the 2 children were to go to the buffet. We also had dinner at Hagens on the Golf Course. We ate there in January and loved it, but felt this time the meals were just ok. With our stay, we received a $150 credit towards food, spa, etc., but unfortunately they didn't spell out the charges against the credit, so some of us felt we were over charged and not able to get anywhere with a more detailed statement. Bottom line is, I probably won't go back

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

It had been 3 years since we were last there at French Lick Resort. They had sent us an invite and comped our room, which we took advantage of right after Christmas to unwind from all the hustle and bustle of the holidays. It is still one of my favorite casinos, BUT...... it now leaves a lot to be desired. I like the machines and get a good feel every time I'm there. But the service, the STINGINESS of the comps for playing, the customer service all seem to be lacking. It's a very clean place. Housekeeping is very good. But it's obvious there isn't enough staff anymore. They allow pets now, which I do not ever remember seeing before. In our particular room, after a long night of playing in the casino, we retired around 12:30 in the morning, only to find our room very cold. Turning on the heat made a tremendous racket all night long. It sounded like a Piper Cub taxiing in the corner of the room all night long. Very little sleep was gotten by either of us. In the morning when we went to VIP to discuss the situation, we were offered a comp dinner to compensate for our sleeplessness on our next visit. Honey, there isn't going to be a next visit. It has lost it's charm from a few years ago when it first opened up. Doubt that we ever go back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

We had a delicious meal in the 1875 Steakhouse with great service. Our room was clean and comfortable. Enjoyed the casino, especially the large non-smoking area. The "halls were decked" with great Christmas decor. We would like to return in the Spring, Summer or Fall to enjoy the grounds. What a friendly staff throughout the entire complex.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

French Lick was a nice getaway. The rooms were fairly large with a spotless bathroom and well decorated. The lobby was grand and the pool (indoor AND outdoor) was nice. It was nice to walk back and forth to the casino. I did kill a couple of bugs and it lacked a minibar.

My only complaint were the food options. They have a very expensive steak place which I am sure it good but way too over priced. We ended up eating at the buffet which was horrible. I really wished I had looked at the buffet before paying money because there wasn't anything on it that looked or tasted good. Big waste of money. The pizza place was equally horrible. the pizza crust was barely done and sloppy. The poolside had some decent sandwiches but they were over priced.

With some better or reasonable food options, this place would be a gem. If I go back, I think I would take a cooler with some sandwiches.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicagoland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

My group of 54 Seniors and I enjoyed our two-night stay at the very beautiful French Lick Hotel in French Lick, Indiana, on a little three-day Christmas motorcoach tour, December 1-2-3, 2010. As ever, a most beautiful historic property, especially this time of the year, when it's decked out in all its Christmas finery. The lobby is amazing, the trees and other decorations just beautiful! The strains of Christmas carols fill the air in the gardens, which is very nice early in the evening, but kind of annoying at night when you're trying to fall asleep, especially if your window is open for a little fresh air. Lots of upscale shopping on the promenade at the Resort, several good dining options, and of course, the casino at the far end of the resort, which is a nice optional activity for those members of the group who choose to do a little gaming.

Our first night's dinner at the Grand Colonnade at the resort was good, offering a nice assortment of salads, entrees - including prime rib - sides, and desserts. Something to satisfy nearly everyone's tastes. Then my group and I enjoyed breakfast on the morning of our third day at the tres chic Cafe Sinclair at their sister property, the West Baden. We enjoyed a long, leisurely, and very delicious off-the-menu breakfast. No complaints at all from my people . . . the food was excellent and the ambience was very elegant.

We did experience a few glitches with the French Lick Resort on this visit, though. Most of the rooms are quite nice - vintage and spacious - and the cheese and fruit platter welcoming me to my room was a very nice touch! But I had to change my room - I didn't find this room particularly warm and comfortable, half of the view from the one small window in the room was a brick wall, and the bathroom was very tiny. (They have lots of rooms at this property, so don't hesitate to speak up and ask for another room if yours doesn't suit your needs.) I didn't find the bed to be particularly comfortable, either - too hard for my comfort, and no feather pillows.

The bell staff could use a little help - some of our guests' luggage still wasn't delivered to their rooms after nearly an hour and a half after we arrived, which is really unacceptable. And one lady's luggage was mistakenly delivered to the unoccupied room above hers. The lady didn't get her bag until the next morning. Some of the folks in the Housekeeping Department at this elegant property need to be retrained and their work checked and followed-up better, too. I'm a stickler for impeccable cleanliness in my room, especially the bathroom. But a little dust, smudges on the underside of the glass on the desk, a dirty sink around the faucet in the bathroom, grungy rubber bathtub mat, and dirty glasses caused me to speak with the housekeeping manager before we left. A little tip . . . be sure to check the drinking glasses in your room and remember to wash them yourself before you use them.

Still one of our favorite properties, and I'd surely recommend a visit to this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed December 2010

Been to French Lick Resort? Share your experiences!