“HAD A BLAST- GREAT PLACE FOR THE PRICE!!” 5 of 5 stars

Big Splash Adventure Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8505 West State Road 56, French Lick, IN 47432   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in French Lick
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
“HAD A BLAST- GREAT PLACE FOR THE PRICE!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

It was everthing we expected and more. The staff was exceptionally nice!!! Very new, clean and well maintained. The pool was awesome! We even found out they had a movie room with projector screen. A lot of the games were broken in the arcade, but the staff was more than willing to give our lost coins back. Breakfast was good, but get there early or it will be gone! The beds were very comfortable!!! Great mini vacation!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

Overall, my family and I were very pleased with the waterpark. It is a bit pricey (we did not find any deals and stayed in the biggest suite), but well worth the money. The staff is friendly, the waterpark is very clean and the restaurant was very good as well. Big Splash Adventure was the first stop on our way to Holiday World and was a great start to our summer vacation. We surely recomment it!

Alvaton, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

First off the water park is simply amazing our family stayed 3 nights, and debated on a 4th, and 5th we loved that everything was here, and we felt very safe with the kids age 2 , and 3 around the water, the rates were very reasonable, the rooms were very clean, and I can not stress how fun the water park is for both adults, and kids. The staff was friendly, but you could tell they we're faking it, I was in the parking lot, and heard a female life guard, and her boyfriend yelling at each other, I thought that was unprofessional as well as the hotel staff sitting in front of the front door smoking cigarettes. They provided us with a welcome packet that told about the hotel, the restaurants, in it, and room service. The packet said the restaurants closed at 10:30, and 11, however at 9:30 when we went to get a burger they were all either closed, or "not cooking anymore". So we had to go to Dairy Queen as it was the only thing open, the breakfast buffet was hot, but not really good almost reminded me of eating school food. I read another ladies complaint about the arcade being hot, in the hotels defense, it is attached to the pool by 8 double doors, and 4 more that lead outside, and this is a "Green" hotel their is no way you could keep that room cool, nor would you really want soaking wet kids going into a 65, or 70 degree room directly after being in 95 degree heat. My only other complain is the 50 dollar a night deposit that they did not mention until we got here that almost made us leave I do not like surprises like that it is misleading.
We are already planning our next trip here, and look forward to coming back asap. This hotel is great for us, but does have some minor annoyances that need to be addressed by the staff here, however we truly enjoy our children's happiness , and this place is perfect for them, so we will be back next month!!!
I

Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

I recently returned home from my stay at this hotel. First the pros...the waterpark was not crowded at all! There were no lines for the water slides & pools were fairly empty. The hotel was very clean. The beds were comfortable and our room had a large flat screen tv...nice touch...no HD, however. It's not a far drive to Holiday World and pretty much right across the street from French Lick Resort. Also, the waterpark stays open until 9:30pm. The cons...the waterpark is relatively small compared to others we've stayed. None of the water is over 4ft deep! Not very adult friendly! The lifeguards were weird. First off, there were plenty of them which was great considering we had small children. But they would just stare and look you down like at any minute you were going to be told you were doing something wrong. They just made us feel a bit uncomfortable. The food is not good! There isn't any fast food places nearby & the restaurants in French Lick don't stay open late. The Galley restaurant in the hotel is supposed to stay open until 10:30. I tried ordering a pizza at 9:50 and was told that they had already put everything away! The arcade was very small. They had 5 skee ball machines in which only one worked. They had a rubber puck on the air hockey table that didn't go anywhere once you hit it...terrible! My biggest complaint was about the Holiday World tickets we purchased. It was advertised if you stayed 2 nights you received 1/2 off tickets. We were charged over $100 for 3 tickets! We were told that tickets were $60 each...which they are $41.95. I believe that's false advertising. Would I ever go back? I'm not sure. I guess it depends on how they handle the Holiday World refund.

Evansville, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

1st-the rooms were immaculate-they were exactly like the pictures online
2nd-The menu for the restaraunt posted online was null and void the weekend of our stay-it was replaced by an 11.00 buffet that had nothing on it (not even gravy for the mashed potatos)-we had to go eat at the french lick resort
3rd-The buffet at French Lick resort was double the price but amazing
4th-there was no soundproofing in the hotel---we heard doors slam well past 10 every night-we could also hear tvs and people having a party on the floor above us (very inconvenient with little ones)-it was so bad they discounted my 2nd night-I was not the only one who complained of this at checkout
5th-the lifegaurds at the pool were rude/unhelpful-they insisted that my 1 year old wear a life jacket in a pool that was 1 foot deep but not in the kiddie pool wich was the same depth-also she was merely sitting on my lap we did not let her stand on her own in the water-she is very sensitive and screamed the whole time it was so bad that I had to leave the water park and could not come back to be with my other child and my husband
6th-there is a pizza parlor/game room connected to the water park that is unfit for anyone (especially their employees) to be in-no windows open at all no air conditioner on in 90 degree weather the employees told me that it is that way all of the time-I felt very sorry for all of their employees (note if this is how they got their green rating it is not right)-I plan on contacting osha-the common areas in general outside of the main restaraunt and the front desk were all very hot
7th-We paid over 460.00 for the room (just 2 nights) when we got home on Tuesday we had a hold of 300.00 on our checking account---after the payment in full had cleared my bank-upon calling the front desk they stated that I signed a document saying they would place a hold for 1 week in case there was room damage (my bank had never heard this)----I did not sign anything to that matter-what I signed stated if there was smoke damage I would be billed 250.00-I don't smoke
8th-For the most part the front desk lacked proffessionalism/knowledge of the resort
9th-I tried to order room service no less than 5x and never actually got through I kept getting transferred to the operator who simply told me you will have to go order/pick uit up yourself---Hello the point of room service is to have it delivered
Overall the hotel has a nice look but awful service-way overpriced-I would never stay again

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
BigSplashAdventure, Manager at Big Splash Adventure Resort, responded to this review, June 12, 2010
Dear TripAdvisor Reviewer,

Thank you for your review concerning Big Splash Adventure . We appreciate your comments and want to respond to your concerns.

We have addressed the issue with our servers and kitchen staff regarding the option of ordering off the menu when serving our buffet. This option has always been available and we apologize that it was not offered to you during your stay.

We are in the process of fixing the doors so you do not hear them closing as well as having our security staff monitor the corridors starting at an earlier time for loud noises that may disrupt guests.

The concern with the temperature in the Galley Grill/Arcade area has been resolved. It was unfortunate that during your stay we had an air conditioning unit that failed. The air conditioning unit has been fixed and is confortable in the location.

We also have addressed the additional money held for incidentals policy and given more training to our reservations staff to make sure they always inform the guest of the policy. This policy has been on our online reservation system under the "I accept the policies that apply to my reservation as well as the general terms and conditions." check box before you can move forward with the online reservation.

A good guest experience is our main goal and we assure you that we will take action to ensure a more pleasant experience in the future. Once again we thank you for your comments.

Management

Travelers are raving about these French Lick hotels

Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

We are waterpark hotel fans and have frequented Kalahari, Great Wolf, and local waterpark hotels in Wisconsin and Iowa. Size wise, this is much smaller than Kalahari or Great Wolf, but it is a good size to be able to keep an eye on your child(ren) and it does have many of the same areas as the other parks (bucket water fall, lazy river, slides, basketball, toddler area, and whirlpool). The rooms are basic, but comfortable. Ours had a nice sized desk/entertainment center and bunk beds for kids. The hotel does allow day passes and we found the waterpark to be very crowded with day guests from noon (when hotel guests are allowed to begin using it on their check-in day) until about 5:00pm. We had trouble finding a chair to sit down. Many guests left trash (including beer bottles and even a dirty diaper - yuck!) in the areas around the pools during the afternoon and the trash was still there when we left at closing several hours later. The "hot" breakfast was cold and barely edible (chewy hashbrowns, cold rubbery eggs), but you can at least have a bowl of cereal. We ate snacks at the waterpark snackbar and didn't take time to try the restaurant for dinner. (we ate a big buffet lunch over at the French Lick Resort down the street - yum!)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Indianapolis, In
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

We just got back from here. Had a wonderful time. The staff was very nice and aimed to please the customer. Extremely kid friendly. Rates are very reasonable. Breakfest buffet is included and was a full hot buffett. Also a sitdown resturant on site for lunch and dinner along with a bar. By the water park there is a quick service place that you can get a hot dog or pizza. Hotel was very clean, it is new, and room was nice sized. Kids loved the flat screen TV. Other dining options in the area are a Subway, Mexican, DQ, Sonic and a Chineese Buffet. French Lick is a small town with lots of charm but not much dinning options (I do not even think they have a McD's). Plus the historic hotels of French Lick Resort and West Baden have excellent resturants. The water park was nice. Not so large you lost track of your children. Don't let the small size of French Lick deter you from this gem. My kids are already looking to go back!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

Been to Big Splash Adventure Resort? Share your experiences!