“Great family attraction in a super quaint town full of history!” 5 of 5 stars

Big Splash Adventure Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8505 West State Road 56, French Lick, IN 47432   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in French Lick
Kentucky
“Great family attraction in a super quaint town full of history!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We took a group of 11 Girl Scouts and had a wonderful time here. The waterpark is a good size, not huge like Great Wolf, but perfect and very manageable for our group. We had a Pirate Fortress room with plenty of space and a separate room with a door for adults. The girls were entertained swimming for hours, and also enjoyed the trip to the beautifully restored West Baden Springs hotel and gardens. Definitely recommend this town, and this place if you have younger kids.

• Stayed July 2013
BSA_Manager, Manager at Big Splash Adventure Resort, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review! We are so glad to hear that you had such a good time! We hope to have you back again soon!

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I'll just get right down to it; I stayed at the property for two nights with my mother and my two daughters and here is what I found;

* Water Park is great, friendly guards, just excellent overall
* Arcade/Dining area needs more attention, tables and floors are always dirty. This is in fact a high traffic area, but you need to have staff on top of it for that exact reason.
* There seems to be a welcome booth in the arcade area / entrance to the water park that is empty, dusty, abandoned, and not attended.
* Pizzas are really good at the concesion stand
* Hotel Lobby has the worst smell possible, its a combination of clorine, humidity and fish. Your guest arrival experience is very important.
* Reservation process is a bit outdated, with having to buy a code online and then call a phone to have to be put on hold 3 times because the person completing the reservation is a front desk agent that is attending to other hotel guests needs while on the phone.
* The packages seem to be a very good deal for all that you get, but you then come to the hotel and learn that is mainly because the quality of the product is diminished.
* Rooms seem clean but there is still unsual odor inside.
* AC in our room was malfunctioning daily
* Great system with the wristbands to open the guest room doors and enter the water park
* We found a small bug in our room.
* The complimentary hot breakfast is the worst part of the hotel. If you were to begin working on fixing anything off my list, you should start here.The food quality and selection is very poor, you can tell guests eat it because its free and they are hungry. Burnt and low quality eggs, and hard pancakes. The server offered us a beverage and my daughters asked for apple juice and she told us they only serve orange juice but failed to offer other options like milk or chocolate milk which we saw other guests drinking. The orage juice we were served, tasted like juice that was about to expire. After the bad experience with the food, the server constantly reminded us that the tips were not included with the free breakfast. As we were getting up from the table she picked up the check and did not notice the tip was cash and set on the the table. She was very rude and started offending us for not leaving a tip.

This was not the experience I expected when I booked this family get away trip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
BSA_Manager, Manager at Big Splash Adventure Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed our water park and felt like it was an excellent experience! I apologize concerning the breakfast. I will pass your comments on to our Food and Beverage Manager. We assure you that a pleasant guest experience is our utmost goal. Thank you again for your comments.
Indianapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We arrived on Tuesday at 9pm 7/02/2013 to check in. I had made reservation with the hotel using their summer sizzle deal. It took them a good 45 mins. to check me in also they did not provide information as to what is in the area for dinning unless asked for. The resurant served us cold coffee, and old bacon on my BLT sandwich that was used from the free breakfast buffett. The water is highly clorinated and the waterpark is condensed and their pillows were completely flat. I complained about my meal no refund was given or even offered. They were just sorry that i experienced that. I do not recommend this place to anyone.

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent posting. I am sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience. We do strive to create a pleasant guest experience and customer service is our utmost goal. I apologize that you were disappointed in your sandwich and not refunded. I will pass your comments on to our Food and Beverage Manager. We do hope that you will consider our facility again in the future.
Albers, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you can handle being packed in like sardines, then this is the place for you! If you can handle pushy kids, loads of chlorine and sub par food...again, this is the place for you! If you are looking for a place for the day, as in about 6 hours...definitely check out the water park! Beyond that, I won't be back to stay again!
The rooms were clean, for the most part. There was trash where the fridge should go and there was a raisin on the window sill. Then there was hair. It definitely is well maintained, in the room part. The noise is beyond awful, along with the shaking of the walls when another door closes. I downloaded a white noise app, just so I could sleep. We were on the 4th floor. I feel bad for anyone else that was on a lower floor.
The food is nasty. Breakfast, free or not, I would not eat it again. Sunday morning was so bad; there were no plates, a lot of the food was gone and after standing in line for well over 10 mins and being overly crowded...I would have rather gone elsewhere. Denny's is just down the street!
The water park. Well maintained. However, they let too many public folk in! If the lazy river becomes jammed packed, it's not lazy. When there are no chairs or tables to put even your towel, it is too crowded. The lines for the bigger slides were beyond the stairs most of the day. I did feel like the life guards were mostly doing their jobs. However, they could have been pulling out empty tubes out of the lazy river. My husband and I pulled out over 20 throughout the day on Saturday. I didn't feel it was our job, but with it being over crowded with people, the addition of tubes wasn't helping. The chlorine smell is awful. The outdoor pool- the water features weren't turned on. That didn't effect me, but for the ones with toddlers it did. Final note on water park...After 4 hours, our girls were bored.
The parking lot...looks like they ran out of money. There is so much room, then you park on a lot that is half finished.
Shotz...their golf and laser tag facility. Needs work. The water falls and features, nasty water and trash and not flowing or even filled. The greens were fine, although the "holes" were filled with water. The indoor cosmic golf is neat, but not worth the money. You can be done in under 10 mins.
And finally, the arcade. About a third of the games were "out of order". I played one and it owed us 138 tickets. They didn't come out. I told one of the "kids" working and he didn't even bother to mark it "out of order". So, for anyone not paying attention, they probably lost tickets and didn't even know it. The ticket counter...only 1 was working. One lady was checking in close to 1,500. That's a lot of wait time. We left and never redeemed our tickets. The arcade is very packed with people waiting on pizza. Again, not enough room.
I can't stress enough on limiting the amount of public you allow in daily. It also made me uneasy to see creepy men in there that looked like they were watching kids. The hotel is way too crowded, whether it is "under capacity" or not, I don't think I would make the trip again.

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the water park but sorry to hear you felt it was overcrowded. We do limit the number of day passes allowed in the park per day and monitor this very closely. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy breakfast. We have made some recent changes to hopefully rectify this situation. We have had great compliments lately about our breakfast. Again we do apologize that you did not enjoy your stay. We do hope that you will consider our facility in the future as a pleasant guest experience is our utmost goal!
Madisonville, Kentucky, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I read many reviews from this site after making my reservations. Reading these reviews made me nervous and I started planning for the worst and hoping for the best. The best is what I got!
It was a great experience. 1) Room - very nice for the price, our air conditioner worked great and we had plenty of room for the little amount of time we spent in the room, the bed was not the most comfortable, but sleepable (same as most hotels I've stayed), we had pillows (although we did bring our own because of other reviews - they were not needed), if you need more blankets they will bring them. Did not need a comforter at all 2) hotel - friendly staff, clean, no bugs seen, and the carpets were not really bad for a hotel where all the guest are dripping wet. 3) food - okay dinner buffet (as good as most buffet places, but not gourmet), hot breakfast was alright - as other guest I recommend the French toast sticks), bread sticks were good at the arcade 4) water park - GREAT for FAMILIES!!!!!! Do I recommend this for a young couple or older couple without children, not really, but if you have kids from infant to teen this is a great one night 2 day adventure. The lifeguards are young, but do fine. They struggle gaining respect from adults who are not following the rules or are over rambunctious, but children seem to listen to them just fine. The water slides are fun and for the most part lines move quickly. I went on a Friday and Saturday and the longest lines were from 11:00 - 3:00. I recommend leaving for lunch and enjoying Shotz arcade during this time. The waterpark is not over crowded at all even from 11-3, so do not worry about day pass holders, they really do monitor how many passes are offered. My 3, 8, 10, and 12 year olds all had a blast. My mom, dad, husband and I all enjoyed our time there as well. This is a very clean facility and towels are not hard to come by. Life jackets are available, but if your child uses a Puddle Jumper Lifejacket, bring it because they do allow them because the are US Coastguard approved life jackets (My daughter played on everything with hers on), seating can be difficult, but if you come at opening time (9:30) seating is easy and lines are short. 5) surroundings - did not do much, but Shotz arcade was nice and Chicago Pizza was tasty - totally get the chicken alfrado pizza Yummy!
Final Thought - don't psych yourself out by reading negative reviews. Go planning to have a spectacular time and do so. Don't knit-pick. Let yourself have a blast - because watching the pure joy on my kidos faces made the tip amazing. ENJOY yourself.
My children's final thoughts - "I wanna go back! I wanna go back! I wanna go back! PLEASE!"

Room Tip: I loved the 5th floor and if you want adjoining rooms, request them.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
BSA_Manager, Manager at Big Splash Adventure Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your amazing review. You seemed to have a great experience at every point of contact which is a part of our mission statement! We are so glad to hear that you would like to come back and we hope to see you again soon!
Thanks again,
lexington, ky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Due to the terrible 4th of July weather we looked for something within 2 hours and indoors. We are big fans of Great Wolf but bc of the holiday they were booked. A friend had been to Big Splash and said it was okay, rooms were available and the price was right. My husband and I visit French Lick often and were excited to share it with our kids without the high price of the two other resorts.
Room:
We had a Pirate Paradise room with a king bed, bunks, sleeper sofa and dining table. It was a nice size and were provided 2 pack-n-plays for our 22 month old twins and still had room to move around.
The bedding was less than luxurious but comfortable enough.
The shower curtain had some mold on it, but otherwise clean.
We did have an issue with the alarm clock (which I saw another reviewer mention). It started making a static noise in the middle of the night - we unplugged it from the wall and went back to sleep. Little creepy!
Breakfast:
Was free, so you get what you get! We went around 9 and were seated quickly. When we left the line was wrapped around to the lobby. Go early!
Waterpark:
We knew this wasn't Great Wolf. It's half the price and so you get half the waterpark. I don't like the fact that anyone can come in and buy a pass to the waterpark - it became very overcrowded on July 4.
Most lifeguards looked like they would have rather been anywhere else than there. Lakin was the one exception - she was very friendly and remembered our daughter and actually seemed attentive!
The baby pool with swings was a disaster! My husband and I had to police other kids because parents were letting their bigger kids just run free. After one of our twins was pushed down and then slammed with a swing, we went to the front desk and told them what happened and that a lifeguard needed to be on duty thee as well. The next day we did notice a lifeguard occasionally "patrolling" the area.
Overall:
We had a good time for the price. We read the reviews and knew that this wasn't a Great Wolf caliber waterpark or resort. I think the next time we come to the area we will opt for the FLR.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
It seems as though you had an okay experience. Obviously we strive to make sure that all guests have an amazing experience and want to visit us again. We apologize that you felt the water park was crowded and that your children where knocked down in the toddler area. I will mention posting a guard there to our aquatics staff. Again, we appreciate your comments and want to assure you that a pleasant guest experience is our utmost goal. We do hope that you will consider us again in the future.
Managment
Ferdinand, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We took our family to Big Splash this week. We spent one night there and it was a great get away for us. The water park was great, not that busy first night. It was a little bit more busy the next day, but still not that bad. Great breakfast in the morning witch was included in the room cost. The rooms were very clean and big for what we are use to. I would recommend big splash to families who have kids from the ages of 3-16. Also they have a fully stocked bar and a very nice restaurant. Also just a 2 minute drive to downtown French Lick. French Lick has a casino, and other nice restaurants. We had a room that had bunk beds, and king size bed and a couch pull out. It was a little pricey but not as bad as a big city hotel room cost, $202.00.

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review. We are glad to hear that you had a good time and we hope to have you back again soon!
Management

Been to Big Splash Adventure Resort? Share your experiences!