“weekend retreat” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in French Lick
indy
“weekend retreat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed here during a baseball tournement in Jasper. We stayed in the basic room which had plenty of space and queen beds. We asked for a fridge in the room for some medication and were told we could rent it for 40.00, we got a cheap cooler instead. Wrist bands for water park served double as room key so it was nice not having to look for keys or worring kids would loose them. BAD spot on weekend first night we came into the room that had lights on and a cockroach was on the ceiling. He had no fear of us and allowed us and management do a photo shoot of him. The hotel staff quickly moved us to another room. Nice if your going to Jasper or French Lick with kids.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
BSA_Manager, Manager at Big Splash Adventure Resort, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review. We are glad to hear that you had a good time and hope to have you back soon!

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Burlington, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Pros:
The price was less than Great Wolf Lodge
There are a lot of swim/play options for the kids
Free breakfast
Beautiful surroundings
Close to some really good pizza (Chicago's Pizza)
Sunday night to Monday was pretty quiet... Not a lot of waiting
Cons:
Not a lot to do for parents (the adult only hot tub leaves much to be desired)
The free breakfast tasted a lot like cafeteria food
No fridge or microwave in our room
The noise in the hallway was heard crystal clear in our room
There is only 1 stairway and line for all 4 slides

Overall, it was a great place for the kids, but it wasn't really grownup friendly! I think our expectations were very high after going to the Great Wolf Lodge! The first room we got wreaked of cigarette smoke and the front desk was very nice about getting us a new room. However, we had an air conditioning unit that was right below our window that ran all the time. It's amazing that the hotel is only 2 years old! The carpets are already matted and stained, and the paint on the slide stairs is coming off!
I don't think we will come here again.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review. We are glad to hear that you felt there was plenty of variety of activities for your children. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the breakfast buffet and felt we needed more for adults to participate in. We do hope that you will consider our facility again in the future.
chandler, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at this hotel before and have also gotten day passes for the water park. This trip, we used a promo to get a "deal" on the room, which didn't seem like much savings since it included mini-golf that we weren't interested in and the rooms with bunk beds were an added expense. Just be aware the hotel's deals don't necessarily save you a lot.
Anyway, we upgraded to the room with a set of bunk beds, since there are five of us and my two oldest do better in their own beds. The room was clean and beds were comfy. There was only two issues with our room: first, the clothes line in the shower was missing (not a huge deal, but since we knew it should have one, we certainly were bummed our room didn't); and, there was no mini fridge in the room. To be fair, I didn't pay too close attention to whether or not it should have, I just know we got a similar room before that did have a fridge; it was also odd that there was an empty cabinet where the mini fridge would have been. It was kind of odd, but my toddler thought it was a good hiding spot.
The water park was fun, and it appeared that the lazy river had recently gone through a cleaning and/or repainting. Everything is in good working order and it has enough variety to appeal to all of our kids (ages 2-15). The only issue we had during this visit was the chlorine level seemed to be excessive. My 9yo and myself were coughing and wheezing a bit from the bleach smell, which seemed to permeate our skin and hair. We both ended up showering during our visit to the water park to alleviate some of the problem. Because of this, I didn't let my 2yo stay in as long as I normally would have. I think it was in the lazy river only, though, and may have had to do with the recent work on that feature. Also, we weren't the only ones having issues with the chlorine fumes. There were a lot of kids and some adults hacking and complaining of burning eyes (likely trying to look underwater). During our stay, there weren't any towels for hotel guests to use in the water park when we needed them. Later in the evening, we were able to grab some, but before dinnertime, we checked a couple of times and couldn't find any. We ended up using a couple of our bathroom towels when we got back to the room. A hassle, but another we have never previously encountered here.
The game room and pizza seating area were a total mess by the end of the day, with cheese sauce and food spills left on many of the chairs and tables. Perhaps at the end of the night, they were just waiting for the area to close before they cleaned up. Anyway, we had to wipe down a table and swap out a few chairs to hang out in while the kids spent their tokens. I have been here before and never noticed any issues, so this may have been a end-of-the-day issue only.
The restaurant downstairs is convenient, but more pricey than off-property choices. The buffet was delicious and offered a good variety. Food seemed fresh and the kids loved the cake, pie and ice cream dessert options.
With three kids, we like staying on the floor of the water park so our kids can come and go easily. The water park and game room aren't open too late, so we have never had any issues with hall noise when we're trying to sleep. And our toddler easily napped in the room.
Overall, I do like this property. The comfort of the beds and the options for sleeping arrangements for larger families are big sellers. I don't like that it's so pricey in comparison to the area and there aren't any real discounts to be had (not even a AAA rate), but I guess that's to be expected since it is unique for this whole area. We will likely stay here again, but probably only once a year or less. Because of the issues during this particular stay, I would say the service is likely variable depending on occupation levels. This was by far the busiest they have been during any of our visits.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review. We are glad to hear that you had a good time. We apologize about the cleanliness of the Galley. I assure you that cleanliness is our utmost goal and we strive to keep a clean facility. We do hope that you will visit us again and thanks for your review.
Central, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We decided to extend our Holiday World mini-vacation with our kids ages 4 and 12 by adding a Saturday night stay at Big Splash. Overall, we had an excellent time and the property was decent, but a few changes could make it so much better!

We've stayed at several Great Wolf Lodge resorts over the last few years including Texas and Ohio, and well Big Splash isn't quite at the same level. It's similar to the CoCo Key resorts I've seen (although cleaner) and a step up from some of the smaller places like Caribbean Cove near Indianapolis. Now, it doesn't cost as much as a GWL either so that is a huge benefit for the cost savvy traveler. We actually found a Facebook special that included one night in the hotel, water park passes, breakfast buffet, an upgraded room, $10 in arcade tokens and passes to the Shotz Lazer Tag and Mini-Golf center adjacent to the property for under $200 including tax with the option of adding a second night for $99.

We arrived before lunch on Saturday not expecting our room to be ready, but hoping we could avoid check-in lines later in the afternoon. Much to our surprise our room was ready and we were able to get settled in early. We dropped our luggage off and headed back down the mountain road that is the entrance to checkout some lazer tag as we weren't quite ready to swim yet. (Not sure how you would get up or down the drive in the winter as it is very steep, but might add to the adventure I suppose.)

Shotz: Very nice blacklight mini gold and lazer tag facility. We played a round of indoor mini golf (9 holes) and a game of lazer tag (about 15 minutes). The kids also played the lazer maze a few times and had fun trying to complete the challenge in less time. There were a few redemption games and tables inside. There is also an outdoor minigolf course, however we didn't get to check it out due to the rain. My wife enjoyed watching the kids and I play lazer tag from the observation window and while my four year old didn't make it through the whole game because her vest got too heavy, she noted the experience as a highlight of her vacation. Overall it was a nice way to spend an hour or so.

We went to lunch (see separate review for Micki's Deli and Bakery - awesome!!) then headed back up the mountain to the hotel. There was ample parking available, and we took a minute to peruse the giftshop as I'd blown out a flip flop in a horrible lazer tag incident.

We had been upgraded to a bunkbed room with a king bed. The room was larger and spacious, and very clean. The shower area and separate sink were a plus with four people getting ready and during the evening when we requested additional towels, our delivery arrived within 10 minutes. In general, we were pleasantly surprised with the hotel staff who were generally friendly and helpful. The room did not have a refrigerator or microwave, which would be a nice addition, especially for a longer stay. A small microwave was available on our floor next to the ice and vending machines.

The biggest issues with the room however were the beds and the alarm clock. The beds were TERRIBLE. They were thin and springy for lack of a better term. They sort of squeaked when you sat down on them, which reminded me of a really old hide-a-bed my dad had in his cabin when I was a kid. The bunk bed mattresses were no better. I'm pretty sure I've slept on nicer mattresses at Motel 6 frankly. While not a deal breaker for one night, I think I'd be hard pressed to justify a multiple night stay because of the beds. Our possessed alarm clock may keep me away as well. At about midnight, the sounds of radio interference started coming through the speaker for a few second to a minute at a time. I checked the clock only to find that neither the radio or the alarm were turned on. I went back to bed and about 30 minutes or so later the same thing happened then stopped. At about 3am, it happened again so I unplugged it as I wasn't really in the mood to deal with any weird poltergeist happening via my clock radio.

The water park was clean and the temperature comfortable. There were ample single and double tubes available for the slides and lazy river, some with bottoms which pleased my four year old who was able to sit inside the tube and float the river as though in a boat. There was splash play area with two small body slides, four large slides including two tube and two body slides, a basketball pool area, a toddler area, a hottub and outdoor wading pool and small splash pad. Overall, a nice water park, however they definitely could have used a few more lifeguards to help control the behaviors of some of the kids. Now you and I know that this is actually the job of the parents, however it has been my experience that not a lot of parenting goes on in some of these family resorts. Just saying... Anyway, the splash play area was a bit out of control with many kids at once piling into the smaller body slides, running, etc. as only one lifeguard seemed to be doing her best to watch the entire are. The second and maybe bigger challenge the water park faces is that all the big slides are connected by one staircase. Basically those wanting to do a body slide have to maneuver in and out of tube carrying kids and adults waiting in a 20 to 30 minute line to get on a slide. A second staircase would definitely ease the rush hour congestion.

The arcade which was attached to the waterpark in the eloquent words of my son, "sucked." There were a dozen or so games, half of which were out of order and with many of those that were working out of tickets. There were two people working while we were there, one at the redemption counter and one at the pizza/beer counter and no one we saw actually available to help in the arcade. It was difficult to get through the entire $10 in free tokens we'd received.

The hotel restaurant served typical American fare, with decent prices for a resort hotel. The food quality was average at best, mostly appearing to be bulk choices and/or prepared frozen foods (fries, potato skins, etc.) Again, for the price you could do worse and the big windows looking outside were nice. There was also a small salad bar.

The breakfast buffet also located in the restaurant area was likely the biggest disappointment. It was free, so I wasn't expecting too much but it didn't even compare to the free Hampton Inn breakfast we'd eaten the two days prior while at Holiday World. My wife couldn't find anything to eat as they had no whole wheat toast, no bagels and the only available cereal was fruit loops and corn flakes. The sausage was cold and rubbery. The eggs... cold and rubbery.. The french toast sticks..... wait for it.... cold and rubbery!! Our server who we saw twice, brought us out the wrong drinks, then didn't return until we were finished and ready to checkout to give us the little folder thingy that I think she hoped to get a tip in. You brought the wrong drinks, you never checked on us, then didn't say anything when dropping off your tip folder....hmmm... NO TIP FOR YOU!!

Overall, Big Spash Resort was a nice overnight stay for my family. We enjoyed the waterpark and with a few upgrades, this place could be an excellent resort. While it's no Great Wolf, it's a nice option for Southern Indiana travel.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms are nearest the water park access. We didn't have an issue with them being too l...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent detailed review. It sounds like you had a good time. We are sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the breakfast buffet. We will share your comments with our Food and Beverage staff. I also apologize about the alarm clock. Overall we are glad to hear that you had a good experience. We hope to have you back soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here during winter and it was awesome because while it was snowing outside, we had a great time swimming inside and the whole water park area was very comfortably warm! Love the lazy river! There are areas for every family member to enjoy.

• Stayed December 2012
BSA_Manager, Manager at Big Splash Adventure Resort, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review. We are glad to hear you had a good time. Come and see us again soon!
New Albany, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We went to the water park in January over a weekend. Friday the water park was nice but Saturday it became PACKED. Luckily my children are toddlers and only stayed on the smaller climber with the water bucket that drops. This water park is nice and attached to an older hotel like a Hampton Inn. Bring ear plugs if you want to be able to sleep through the night. Also try to get a room on the floor with the entrance to the water park, I think it's 2.

The buffet in the lobby is good for the price and the staff was nice. Nothing fancy but my kids enjoyed it.

Room Tip: If you are there for the water park get a room on the floor with the entrance to the park.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent post! We are so glad that you had a good time. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the buffet and felt the water park was nice. We hope to welcome you back soon!
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Took our 2 grandkids to Big Splash for spring break. We had a great time. Room was clean and set up very nice. The water park was a lot of fun for all of us. We found the whole experience well worth the money. Staff was very friendly. Grandkids are already taking about us going there again next year. Ages of kids 13 and 5

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent post! We are so glad to hear that you had a good time. We hope to see you back soon!
Management

Been to Big Splash Adventure Resort? Share your experiences!