“Good variety and you can” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary, Eclectic, Asian fusion, Vegan
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Good variety and you can”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

adapt your meal to your dietary needs. Lots of options, don't get the "all you can eat" because you'll be stuffed after your first serving. I would visit it again but it isn't anything that stands out as "excellent"

Visited April 2013

Vestal, New York
“Nice, but a bit pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

My wife and I went on a Saturday evening with my adult son and his wife. He made reservations for 6:00 PM and that reduced the wait time a bit (got there at 5:45 and was seated at about 6:15). It was very busy. The standard meal offering was One Trip for $12.95 and multiple trips for $4 extra. Since this was my first visit, I opted for the "one trip". The selection was very large. Lots of veggies, meats, & sauces. The serving staff was very good. I can understand that the place would get a bit messy since so many people are loading up at the food bar. Periodically, a Flat Top person would stop by and clean things up. The food was pretty good. I do agree that there is some inadvertent food "mixing" that happens at the grill with adjacent meals. That's not a problem for me, but it could be a problem for someone with food allergies, or some other dietary restrictions.
Yes, I would go back in the future if I'm in town again.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Columbus, Ohio
“Good Mongolian grill; takes some time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I've been here several times, and have been to BD's Mongolian Grill many times. They are similar in ways- you pick your ingredients and they grill them up- but different in the way your meal is handled. At Flat Top, you put your creation on a counter for the cooks, then- at some point- they grill them, and a server brings your bowl to your table. At BD's, you give your bowl to the cooks and they start cooking it almost immediately; then they hand it back to you. That seems to be more faster; it feels like I wait forever at Flat Top. I've timed it, too, and it's longer.

So, maybe take a couple of bowls if you're hungry so that you don't have to wait. That's the bad. The good: many ingredient options, so pretty much anyone should be able to make exactly what they want. Lots of sauces, fresh veggies, meats and other proteins, etc. Add some bread or other amenities to your order with the little swizzle sticks at the counter (put one in your bowl and you get that particular extra.)

It's a little expensive, but comparable to BD's. And it's all you can eat, so go hungry and get your money's worth. And try something new and different- you can always get more.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Minnesota
“Expensive and Dirty”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

YUK! We read good reviews and after another LONG day, arrived after 8PM. It wasn't busy at all but the floor was filthy as far as the eye could see. I begged the others in my group to please go somewhere else but was outnumbered. The hostess emerged from someplace chomping what seemed to be a cud. It wasn't gum, it was evidently supper, but she sure enjoyed chewing it. She took us to a table that was surrounded by a sea of broccoli, noodles, carrot pieces etc etc etc on the floor. It gave us an idea what our choices were going to be anyway! She plopped 4 bowls down on the table and EVERY single bowl had at least 4 hunks of rice stuck in them! I again begged my group to leave but was outnumbered... I asked our chewing hostess if we could have clean bowls and she said, "of course" as if the thought hadn't occurred to her before. We then proceeded to the dirtiest, messiest food bar I have ever seen in my entire life! What a complete mess! Our waitress, who was very friendly, came and asked if she could assist us and all that blurted out of my mouth was, "I am freaking out! This is the filthiest place I have ever seen!" She said, "oh really? Well people mess it up"....Well, I wondered, don't they have "other people" who clean it up? NO! They DO NOT! Anyway, I took comfort in knowing it was going on a burning hot flat top grill. It was OK tasting, but I was grossed out. I couldn't get past looking at the floor! Lots of little piles had been swept together and just left and then people walked through them. Heavy sigh. We paid over $65 for 4 small meals. I would not go back. Ever.

Visited August 2013
Auburn, Indiana
“Unique, fun and always a bit different each time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This is one of my favorite restaurants ever - come here several times a year and it's just something you need to try to understand. You make up your food the way YOU want it and every time you go up you can make it a little different. There's plenty of choices to spice up your dish and lots of ways it can be prepared, even. I would say that over time we have noticed that the cleanliness has suffered on occasion but that doesn't affect the taste of the food and to their credit, it can be tough to keep the food line sparking clean when people are constant making messes of things. Be sure to add the blue stick for the prada bread to your order - it's the best part (and if you love it enough, you can ask the waiter to bring you more - without having to go up and put another order in). The prices are a bit on the steep side but worth it - I would recommend you go during lunch hours, though - the choices are all the same but it's priced lower - I think until 4pm - and that's based on when you're seated, not when you're done eating, so if you get in there for an early dinner you still pay lunch prices...... don't waste money on appetizers - you'll get stuffed without it (and you might want to save some room for Coldstone Creamery right around the corner)....

• Visited June 2013