“Very friendly staff & reasonable rates” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #25 of 47 hotels in Fort Wayne
Carbondale, Illinois
“Very friendly staff & reasonable rates”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Just spent 2 nights in this extended stay hotel in order to attend a wedding. The staff were all very friendly and anxious to please. Plenty of room, free Internet, kitchenette, clean. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
CQL1979, Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Wayne, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear RWEISSJR;
Thank you so very much for your wonderful review! There is a reason we are in the hospitality business - to get to meet and serve people like you!
I am so happy that you had a good couple of days in our city - I heard the wedding was wonderful!
Please come back again!! We'd love to have you!
Warmest Regards,
Candlewood Suites - Fort Wayne, IN

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Evansville, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We went to Fort Wayne for a wedding and had the whole family stay at this hotel. My mother-in-law checked in before we did and she was suppose to have a room with two beds so she could have a couple of her grandkids stay with her. When she check in the receptionist told her that she was only one person and didn't need two beds and she wasn't going to adjust her rate until I went down and talked to her. We went to bed and the people above us were VERY loud. I had to call the front desk and the gentleman said he would take care of it. He went to the room and then called me back to tell me he told them to quiet down but it didn't seem to matter and I let him know. We tossed and turned and then had the air conditioner not working properly so my husband had to go to the front desk and complain about the people above us AGAIN and that the air wasn't working. He did give us a fan which helped drown out the noise a bit but not completely. All in all we got about 2 hours of sleep. The housekeeper was vacuuming the hall with a loud vacuum cleaner at 9:00 in the morning which on our time it was 8:00. Some of the family members were staying on the third floor and the cigarette smoke in the hall was horrible!! I am glad I took my own pillow because my husband said the pillows were awful. We do understand that the gentleman tried to help with the people making the noise but when we checked out the receptionist didn't act concerned at all. We felt the least they could have done was been sympathetic or given us a discount. I don't recommend this to anyone!!! On a positive note....the room was clean.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear BMACK10;
I have wanted to respond to your review for a few days now and just did not know where to start! I am so sorry about your unhappiness and will let you know how your review has not fell onto deaf ears!!
Your timing in our community was when the storms went through and we had many families staying with us that were either without power or damage to their homes had caused them to be displaced. It limited our availability on certain types of rooms and that is why your mother was placed into a room with one bed! Your block of rooms had a set price, so that is why the front desk thought they could not change it - I am very glad that we got the discount to her!

The room above you should have been dealt with differently and was a training opportunity for our staff. You should not have had to endure that all night!

The air conditioner has a reset button on it and our staff should have known that and was yet another educational moment - so sorry!

The vaccuum, the pillows, the third floor smoky smell - those were all things that we were unaware of until you wrote your review. I wish that we would have had the opportunity to know prior to the review, it is our policy to fix things as soon as we know about them.
As of July 1st, Indiana (as you probably know) became non-smoking, hotels were included at the last minute. We are an extended stay hotel with many folks living here for several months at a time. We have to wait until people have checked out of their rooms to totally make the rooms smoke free, it takes a lot of time to refurbish just one room. We only have 6 rooms that were smoking, and they are currently all in use, although we are enforcing the smoke free ban as much as possible!
I let our Housekeeping Manager know about vacuuming the hallway at 9AM. Unfortunately we are on EST and need to get the hotel cleaned for the next round of guests. It is something that we are going to be more aware of though - thank you for pointing it out!!

I was at the hotel the morning you departed, but you had already left before I could get to you and try to make it right! I think my staff at the front desk did not know what to do for you and that has been addressed as well! They should always call a manager to help with a situation like yours!
At this point, saying we are terribly sorry, seems too little, too late. I wanted to offer Priority Club points to you, but we looked up in our system and saw that you are not a member... I hate that you had so many disappointments!
You may not take me up on this offer, but if you are ever in town again, please call me so that I might try and make it up to you somehow. Please contact me personally so we can show you the type of experience you should have had the first time!!
Candlewood Suites - Fort Wayne
Ypsilanti, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

For the past 3 years our travel basketball team has stayed at this hotel for a national tournament. The hotel is normally filled to capacity with girls from 10 years old to 13 years old, as well as their siblings and parents. The hotel staff in general, do a great job of handling the volume of guest. The only problems we have encountered were the hotel running out of towels and issues with debit card charges at checkout. In the end the debit card issues get resolved, but it causes a lot of frustration at at the time. Also, when paying upfront with cash, they require a cash deposit, which makes it difficult for traveling on a budget.
The rooms are always very clean, they have a small pool area, but the kids love it. The gazebo/bbq area is great!! Location to Spiece Fieldhouse couldn't be better! It is a 5 minute walk. There are also a lot of places to shop and eat close. Nice workout and laundry facilities and a nice little store to purchase food and toiletries! Our organization loves to stay here so that we can cook our own dinners when we'd like too. Everyroom has a kitchen! Overall, it's a very nice place to stay!

Room Tip: If you are a non-smoker, try to avoid having to get a smoking room. It is definitely noticable. I...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Cher L, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Fort Wayne, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
rbeccal0511 - I wanted to thank you for your review! We really do work very hard at accommodating all the Basketball kids that come in over the weekends! We love hearing we are your choice for your Fort Wayne home!!
I wanted to touch on the debit card and cash payment problems you mentioned. I think they are something all hotels fight with! I know some hotels are not even taking cash any longer... One way to avoid the cash deposit is by giving a credit/debit card for incidentals only and paying cash up front for the night. The whole debit card debacle is something I deal with too, as I do not have credit cards! I am glad that you mentioned that it does take care of itself.
We look forward to your next visit to your Fort Wayne home!!
Thank you!!
Gainesville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011 via mobile

Very nice clean rooms. Indoor pool and BBQ pit to use outside a plus. Staff is great and very helpful.

• Stayed September 2011
Shepherd, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I am a single, female, business traveler. I want a clean room; access to close-by eateries; and most of all, a good night's sleep. I am a Priority Club member so naturally I gravitate to these hotels. My first two requirements were met without a hitch. The room was clean and tidy and there were lots of places to eat nearby. Unfortunately, my room had a connecting door to the neighbor's. It's not that he was loud; I could just hear every word he said. In fact, I heard his entire "good-night" phone call to his wife or sweetheart and then was extremely glad she wasn't in there with him! When he couldn't stay asleep at 11:00 p.m. I listened while he watched TV. I happen to think you should be able to watch TV in your hotel room at 11:00 p.m. so again, this was not his fault. Every bit of noise traveled easily through the connecting door. Would I stay here again? Yes! In a heartbeat - but only if my room did not have a connector.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
fort wayne indiana usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

The facility was clean, rooms nice size and the staff were very accomodating - the free laundry facilities was an unexpected plus but very appreciated. Internet service worked great and having a kitchen to fix food was very helpful. Easy access on and off the highway but they definitely need a large sign so you can see if from the highway. I would highly recommend this facility to anyone and look forward to coming back. I have sleep issues and the staff continued to work with us to help me get a good nights rest.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

Honestly, the floor would have been softer -- and free of lumps. The pillows were so bad (hard, lumpy and smelled of b.o.) I left in the middle of the night, went to Wal-Mart, bought two $4 pillows which were far superior to what the hotel offered. Imagine my surprise when I returned to the hotel to see another guest walking in with pillows he bought at an all-night store. Rooms themselves were clean, but the air-conditioning system was poor. No cooling unit in the bedroom. It's supposed to get cool by osmosis through a vent near the ceiling. Temp hovered around 85 degrees all night. Good business center, although the keyboards were sticky with grime.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Been to Candlewood Suites Fort Wayne? Share your experiences!