“Superb homemade Asian food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 518 Restaurants in Fort Wayne
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Superb homemade Asian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We ate there again tonight. The pho was wicked good, the broth is so complex and beefy. All of the add-ins provided can really amp it up. The egg rolls are just amazing. I agree with another reviewer who said they were the best in town. We also had spring rolls that were obviously hand assembled to order and fresh and tasty.
All of the food is hand prepared using family recipes ( according to the owner and i believe it) and this is evident in the high quality and taste. The owner is very nice and will patiently explain the various dishes. Oh yeah, the bubble tea is also very good. Try the taro, oh man. Don't think that Vietnamese food is strange or exotic, give it a try!!

Alexandria, Indiana
“Different authentic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Really good pho! I love pho and the crab rangoon both were exceptional. The price was very reasonable and the host was welcoming and helpful. I will come back!

• Visited October 2013
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Finally, excellent pho in the Fort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Kim Vu has possibly the best food bargain in Fort Wayne: the little steamed Vietnamese tapioca dumplings in banana leaf, sold individually for 65¢. This price to deliciousness ratio is so ridiculously low, it approaches zero.

In my mind, there are only two main criteria for a Vietnamese restaurants: is the pho good, and is there a good sandwich?

The pho is tricky to do well, but Kim Vu has done it. The most important ingredient, the "meat," of the dish, is not the meat, but the stock. Stock is made with bones , spices (including anise and cinnamon) and veggies. It's a royal pain and there are restaurants that take shortcuts--- and you can taste it. Kim Vu's version soars. There's only one pho on the menu--- pho tai (it means steak, but you can get meatballs with it too. Get them; they're a little chewy with tendon and they're wonderful). It comes with very fresh bean sprouts, basil, lime, Vietnamese greens, and sauces (hoisin and sir racha). The restaurant has the plastic caddies with spoons, chopsticks, and toothpicks on the tables--- just like in the old country.

The banh mi sandwiches are a balance of flavors: hot peppers, sweet grilled meat, chewy hot baguettes (courtesy of Vietnam's French tradition), sweet and sour radish pickles, cool cucumbers and cilantro. It is heaven in a roll, for $3.25.

I liked this place so much, that I went back for more the next day. While I was waiting for the take-out order, the owner gave me a sample if the Vietnamese yogurt. It's light and sweet, refreshing.

The Vietnamese coffee was excellent too. We had spring rolls which were fantastic.

Go now, and go frequently. It is tucked in DuPont Plaza, behind Casa's (and in my opinion serves much better food than the assembly-line plates) and near PakMail.

• Visited September 2013
Huntertown
“Different and Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We decided on something different for dinner and I'm glad we did. This was our first experience with vietnamese food. We were not sure what to order and the owner was great in helping us make our selections. He took the time to describe the dishes and what all of the ingredients were.

All of the food we ordered was so good. The crab rangoon and egg rolls were probably the best I'd ever had. The Vietnamese dishes were so fresh and full of flavor. Do yourself a favor and try something different.

Please try Kim Vu!

• Visited July 2013
NE Indiana
“Authentic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Having spent 18months in Viet-Nam in the late 60's I can vouch for the truly classic presentation.
I chose #6 Rice Noodle and substituted chicken. Reminded me of dining in Saigon - at a sit down.
The Crab Rangoon was the freshest I've had in the US. Tucked away at the end of a strip just off of high traffic DuPont Road. A true GEM!

• Visited November 2012