“Mastodon Grill Restaurant Review” 3 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #16 of 48 Hotels in Fort Wayne
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Mastodon Grill Restaurant Review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

With a name like Mastodon Grill at IPFW Holiday Inn Memorial Coliseum, you would think the restaurant would be something special? It really isn’t. The Mastodon Grill is only open for breakfast for 3 hours each morning, and not open for lunch, and then only open for dinner from 6pm to 9:30pm. Their website, http://www.themastodongrill.com is horrible. When you click on the menu link, you get a sideways view of the dinner menu but no breakfast, wine, or dessert menu.

When we arrived, there was confusion at the restaurant podium… no hostess present, so do you seat yourself or wait for someone to magically appear? We finally found a bartender, who found a waitress, who found the hostess to seat us. We had reservations but our table was not ready for us even though the restaurant was empty. We were told to follow the hostess: then she dipped into the kitchen to get a couple of manly men to move these huge square black granite/marble tables around.

For our party of 13, four tables were placed together to make a huge square. Very nice and we had lots of room. Cocktail napkins would have been a nice touch to keep the glassware from making unnecessary noise when hitting the cold black stone tables. The refills on the soft drinks and iced tea came fast and were plentiful. The wine list was on a piece of crumpled and taped white printer paper that the waiter took down from the wall in the waiter station and passed around to everyone at the table. Appetizers include luke-warm Spinach Artichoke Dip, and the Boneless Chicken Wings should really be called Boneless Chicken Chunks and were served with boring bbq sauce.

Bridge Burger is a nice play on words since IPFW built a walking bridge (that looks like a mastodon’s rib cage) across the river to get from campus to the hotel. Who is Shaffer? If you are going to name a burger after him on your menu, you can at least tell us who he is. After searching the web on our phones, we decided that Shaffer is probably referring to Paul Shaffer who along with his lovely wife Dorothy has donated millions of dollars to IPFW. Or it could just be that the Holiday Inn is on Shaffer Blvd. and the burgers were dry, tough, and very salty; sort of like road kill?

The baked penne was left in the kitchen and had to be asked about after everyone else received their dinners. That might help a little in explaining why the penne was a bit dry and the sauce was nothing special and the slices of Italian sausage were not moist and had a weird flavor. But, the Farfalle Carbonara was delicious, with salty bacon pieces, and peas served with creamy parmesan sauce and fresh basil.

Every other item ordered was either fabulous or icky. A total hit or miss. There are so many restaurants in the immediate area there is no reason to subject yourself to the Mastodon Grill unless you are staying at the Holiday Inn and just can’t be bothered to leave the property.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Rachel B, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Fort Wayne-IPFW & Coliseum, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for your review David C!
I'm very sorry to hear about your experience at our Mastodon Grill and am hoping I can get you to give us another try.
We recently brought on a new Chef whom is doing wonderful things for our food! We are working on our menu and have already had tons of really great reviews.
It's reviews like yours taht help us improve and I have shared it with our Chef.

Thank you so much!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for the second time and will return in the future! From the rooms to the restaurant and lounge this is a great place to stay. My husband and I were in town for a concert and love that shuttle service is provided to and from the Coliseum. Very friendly staff and great service!

• Stayed February 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This holiday inn is beautiful. New building with great staff. Friendly and willing to help. Hotel has restaurant and bar plus pool. Suites are gorgeous with double fireplaces. Great location to coliseum and shopping. Live this place!

• Stayed February 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We're staying at this Holiday Inn for the first time and are so pleased. It's relatively new - maybe three or four years since it's been built - and a good addition to Fort Wayne.

First of all, the location is great - right across the street from the Coliseum, near IPFW and a large shopping district, and maybe 15 minutes from downtown. Not too hard to find from I-69, either, I'd guess, though I already know the area.

The management, the desk clerks, and the dining room staff have all been extremely helpful and friendly.

Breakfast is great. The breakfast bar includes sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, pancakes, french toast, potatoes, biscuits, gravy, a waffle machine, fruit, muffins (chocolate!) and pastries, yogurt, juice, cereal, and various things to toast. Of course, there is also the regular menu. They have quite a variety of nice regular and herbal teas, and the coffee isn't bad, though nothing special. When we stayed in for supper last night, they were very kind to let me make a special request.

We've also taken advantage of the pool/hot tub area and the treadmill. I gather they have passes to the nearby university fitness center as well (includes a track), but I haven't tried that out. Nice to have a water cooler with cups in the fitness room so you don't need to bring your own.

The room is nice. Interesting walk-in shower set-up. Fluffy towels. Big television and, most importantly, free wi-fi. I also really appreciated the microwave and minifridge. It's powder creamer in the rooms, but there are individual half-n-half containers downstairs and milk in the breakfast bar, which they'd probably let you take upstairs.

I am quite sure we'll be back here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Rachel B, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Fort Wayne-IPFW & Coliseum, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you, thank you Sarah R ! Loved that you like our restaurant!
Hope to see you again soon!
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The weekend before Christmas 2012 my wife and I stayed a couple nights at this location. Although we arrived late at night the person managing the front desk was very friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and comfortable although occasionally the heating unit would make some strange noises. In the morning we ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant. They did offer a very nice breakfast buffet but we opted to order off of their menu. Our choices were cooked to our request and were delivered to our table in a timely manner. Our waitress (unfortunately I can't remember her name was wonderful). Our second night pretty much mirrored our previous nights experience. All in all we would stay at this location again. Another plus is this hotel is located close to most major attractions (shopping, sports, and IPFW) in Fort Wayne.

Room Tip: Our room was on the back right corner of the hotel that faced IPFW. It was quiet with no street nois...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you GSHpointer!
Tecumseh, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

New hotel across the street from the coliseum. Ashley at the front desk helped me several times. Breakfast was good and fast. Lots of restaurants and shopping nearby. Pool was a bit cold. Hot tub was enjoyable after working out on the hotel's fitness equipment.

• Stayed January 2013
Hi Mike A ! Thank you so much for the great review! It was exciting for Ashley to see her name mentioned as she is brand new with us!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I spent some daddy-son time this past Tueday with my four year old. I drove in from Michigan to see Batman Live at the Coliseum so we decided to crash at this hotel, since it was right across the street. I have been to various hotels and chains but I must say, this ranks up in my top 3 for making you feel like you are someone special. The whole process from checking in, to eating in the hotel restaurant, to room service, to checking out, this hotel put a smile on my boy's face as well as mine. I wish that I could have gotten more names but I would still like to send thanks out to everyone who made us want to come back and stay again. Thanks to the young man who checked us in and accommodated us in every way. He was quite funny as well! Thanks to the girl that brought us room service and let me take a picture of my son and her, since he was so excited to be able to have cake come right to the room! Thanks to the wait staff at the hotel restaurant that made my son's pizza just the way he wanted it. And a special thanks to Lauren ( I did get one name). She helped to make that pizza possible and spent some time interacting with my son and making him feel like he was the only kid in the hotel. This is the first review that I have ever written about a hotel, but I really wanted to show my gratitude towards a very professional a caring staff. Keep up the great work and hope to be back again really soon!

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you DBrownMI ! We strive to make every stay memorable and I am so happy we were able to make yours and your sons stay special. It's even more wonderful when we remember the guests that we were able to help. Many of us remember your son and his super cute smile and how excited he was!
Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Been to Holiday Inn Fort Wayne-IPFW & Coliseum? Share your experiences!