With a name like Mastodon Grill at IPFW Holiday Inn Memorial Coliseum, you would think the restaurant would be something special? It really isn’t. The Mastodon Grill is only open for breakfast for 3 hours each morning, and not open for lunch, and then only open for dinner from 6pm to 9:30pm. Their website, http://www.themastodongrill.com is horrible. When you click on the menu link, you get a sideways view of the dinner menu but no breakfast, wine, or dessert menu.
When we arrived, there was confusion at the restaurant podium… no hostess present, so do you seat yourself or wait for someone to magically appear? We finally found a bartender, who found a waitress, who found the hostess to seat us. We had reservations but our table was not ready for us even though the restaurant was empty. We were told to follow the hostess: then she dipped into the kitchen to get a couple of manly men to move these huge square black granite/marble tables around.
For our party of 13, four tables were placed together to make a huge square. Very nice and we had lots of room. Cocktail napkins would have been a nice touch to keep the glassware from making unnecessary noise when hitting the cold black stone tables. The refills on the soft drinks and iced tea came fast and were plentiful. The wine list was on a piece of crumpled and taped white printer paper that the waiter took down from the wall in the waiter station and passed around to everyone at the table. Appetizers include luke-warm Spinach Artichoke Dip, and the Boneless Chicken Wings should really be called Boneless Chicken Chunks and were served with boring bbq sauce.
Bridge Burger is a nice play on words since IPFW built a walking bridge (that looks like a mastodon’s rib cage) across the river to get from campus to the hotel. Who is Shaffer? If you are going to name a burger after him on your menu, you can at least tell us who he is. After searching the web on our phones, we decided that Shaffer is probably referring to Paul Shaffer who along with his lovely wife Dorothy has donated millions of dollars to IPFW. Or it could just be that the Holiday Inn is on Shaffer Blvd. and the burgers were dry, tough, and very salty; sort of like road kill?
The baked penne was left in the kitchen and had to be asked about after everyone else received their dinners. That might help a little in explaining why the penne was a bit dry and the sauce was nothing special and the slices of Italian sausage were not moist and had a weird flavor. But, the Farfalle Carbonara was delicious, with salty bacon pieces, and peas served with creamy parmesan sauce and fresh basil.
Every other item ordered was either fabulous or icky. A total hit or miss. There are so many restaurants in the immediate area there is no reason to subject yourself to the Mastodon Grill unless you are staying at the Holiday Inn and just can’t be bothered to leave the property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Newest Hotel in Fort Wayne, Indiana Welcome to a new hotel which blends old world traditions and the best of modern hospitality. The Holiday Inn Hotel Ft. Wayne - IPFW & Coliseum will exceed your expectations. Business and leisure travelers alike enjoy our convenient location just off I-69. Our location is perfect for visitors to Fort Wayne. Hotel guests enjoy nearby attractions, which include the Botanical Conservatory, Fort Wayne Zoo and the Glenbrook Mall. For sports enthusiasts staying in our Fort Wayne lodging, IPFW sporting events, Komets hockey games, and Mad Ants basketball is within easy driving distance, along with Cherryhill Golf Course. Business travelers appreciate our Ft. Wayne hotel's location is directly across from the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum. Our lodging is next to Indiana University-Purdue University Ft. Wayne (IPFW), offering you easy access to both institutions. Our hotel also offers free high-speed Internet access throughout our facilities, a business center for your convenience, and four meeting rooms. Guests enjoy the thoughtful amenities of our hotel near Indiana University - Purdue University Fort Wayne. Our hotel offers an indoor pool and spa, along with a well-equipped Fitness Center. We offer a full-service restaurant, The Mastodon Grill, along with the Faculty Lounge. Call today to see our great Fort Wayne hotel's deals and Relax, its Holiday Inn. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Fort Wayne-IPFW & Coliseum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Fort Wayne-Ipfw And Coliseum
- Holiday Inn Fort Wayne-Ipfw & Coliseum Hotel Fort Wayne