“our intimate honeymoon with important tips at the end....:)” 5 of 5 stars

Jungle Bay, Dominica
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Point Mulatre, Point Mulatre 0001, Dominica   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Point Mulatre
hollywood, florida
“our intimate honeymoon with important tips at the end....:)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2007

my husband and i, both in our 40's had our honeymoon at jungle bay over the last week. we had such an incredible experience that i dont want to put off my superlative review a second longer. the word intimate describes every aspect of our time at jungle bay. we made immediate friends with the other guests at jungle bay(all couples of different age ranges). every day started with relaxing and necessary yoga, and every day ended with an excellent and necessary massage, as our days were very full and action packed which is what we chose. the staff was exceptional. my husband and joanne, the head chef, exchanged recipes, and actually invited my husband into the kitchen to give a little class in marinading. sam and glenda, the owners were at every meal, and so warm and caring.... sam remembered distinctly, my sister who had visited jungle bay the month before, and was therefore expecting our arrival, treating us as members of his family. no matter where our destination was, our tour guide irvin would stop the safari "truck" we rode in at any given moment to teach us about the grass, herbs, fruit etc growing by the side of the road. moses is the other guide who was particularly dear to us...even though it was just my husband and i, at one point who signed up for victoria falls, as a larger group went to boiling lake, we went as planned and had the pleasure to meet moses' family who live at victoria falls. i hope the impression you the reader is getting, is just how well we were taken care of. while a few of the adventures are very physically challenging...as irvin said, "we do things in dominica with either our mind or our body, and 99% of the time it is with our mind". we found this to be very true. each activity had a great reward at the end whether it was an amazing 110ft waterfall and black beaches, or a therapeutic pool, or freshwater pools that you can drink directly out of.....all our rewards were very much worth our efforts and my husband and i are neither gym rats nor marathon runners. to wrap it all up...the service was spectacular. the accommodations were rustic, sufficient, and comfortable. the honeymoon upgrade got us an ocean view. and less steps to climb to our cottage not to mention our romantic private dinner and couples massage. the doors from our room(cottage) deck and side windows we left open. however, cityfolk that we are, we locked the entrance door to the cottage. go figure....we left our belongings in our cottage with no fears or concerns of safety.....often we were without money or identification on our excursions......and it was no big deal...really and truly....we never felt so safe and secure anywhere in the us or in the world for that matter. the whole island is familiar with jungle bay and our guides were well known everywhere. we cant wait to go back!

tips: do not check any luggage at the airports. there were four couples who didnt get their luggage for at least two days and one not until the end of their trip. the puerto rico airport loses luggage very often. tip two: do the all inclusive...no other way to enjoy jungle bay and very worthwhile. ...pack half the clothes you thought you need. we stayed a week....two bathing suits each. two pairs of shorts. 4-5 tee shirts. airport clothes. .....merril aqua pro shoes...they were the best....they are sold at jungle bay for a lot more than the states....buy them on line if you have to....there is a tip box for the end of the stay, and then all the money is somehow distributed to all 59 employees. we made a nice tip contribution, and then tipped out a few people individually who really went above and beyond. we really didnt ever have to change out money...dominica is not much of a souvenir place becuase tourism has not taken over the island.....we did almost all the hikes and physical excursions. we did not do boiling lake....although everyone who went said it was worth it...it is a true test of stamina.. BIG HOT TIP FOR JEWISH TRAVELERS: my husband and i are kosher although we selectively eat oustide the home in non kosher restaurants especially when traveling. jungle bay was very easy for us. the fish is grilled, and most of the other dishes are vegetarian.

• Liked — the commitment to service, the organic local food, bed was so comfortable, hot outdoor shower
  • Disliked — the stairs, the stairs, the stairs...but after the first day it wasnt a big deal
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Queenstown, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2007

As youve probably picked up from other reviews, Jungle Bay is an amazingly unique place that you must experience. I went to Jungle Bay with my wife on our honeymoon in the middle of June. From the moment we got there, we already started planning our return trip with all our family and friends. There are so many things I would like to say about our trip, I'll try to be brief...

DOMINICA: The island itself was beautiful. It is very undeveloped, so pretty much all you see is green rain forest around every corner. It is very mountainy so you get a LOT of breathtaking views as you travel around.

JUNGLE BAY: The location is on the east coast, which is rocky and fairly rough. It did make for some great views and we loved the sound of the waves every night as we slept. The resort grounds are very nice and well kept.

The cottages were amazing. Ours had a great ocean view and was very clean and comfortable. We loved the bay leaf oil they put on the wood to keep out bugs. It smelled great. The cottages are fairly open to the environment, so you will get lizards and other critters in your room on occasion. But if you dont like lizards, dont come here, because they are everywhere. The outdoor showers were fabulous. Since it was June, it was pretty hot, even at night. It didnt really bother us, we just kept the windows open and the fan on. Also, we did have to walk up a lot of steps (133) to get to our cottage, which seemed daunting at times, but overall it was definetely worth the view and privacy.

The food was really great. Everything was fresh and we especially loved the fresh fruit juices that we had with every meal (the passionfruit juice is amazing). The staff was very friendly, though they were a little hard to understand sometimes because of the accent even though they were speaking English.

We were on the all-inclusive package deal (which we highly recommend) and loved all the tours. It was great to have a guide to tell you about all the plants and herbs and animals that we saw. Just dont try to overdo it. All the tours were really fun but also pretty tiring. Our favorite trips were the Ravine Cyrique (beautiful black sand beach complete with waterfall) and the Boiling Lake hike (definetely worth it just for the sense of accomplishment).

The massages were a great touch to your action-packed day. It was very nice to go hiking and exploring all day then come back, get a massage, and enjoy a relaxing dinner in the outdoor restaurant overlooking the pool and ocean. Another thing we loved was getting to meet and share our vacation with the other guests. At first I was a little put off (because it was our honeymoon), but we ended up enjoying going on the tours with your fellow guests and then all eating dinner together telling stories about our days and our lives back home.

Overall, Jungle Bay was a great vacation. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to get away to a remote location and enjoy nature and relax. As I said, the all-inclusive package, while seemingly expensive (at least to us), was definetely worth it. We cant wait to go back!

Thanks Sam and Glenda and everyone at Jungle Bay!

• Liked — The rooms, views, and people
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

For something really different Jungle Bay is the place. No golf, no tennis, no beach. We don't play golf or tennis, and lying in the sun has gotten to be a highly dangerous pasttime. So Jungle Bay sounded like the place for us, and were we ever surprised. Every day was filled with a new adventure, yoga in the morning, then hiking, swimming under waterfalls, fording streams, climbing boulders, and when you returned, a massage waiting. And the night filled with equally happily exhausted guests sharing their adventures. Sam and Glenda Raphael, the owners and hosts, made us feel so welcome and comfortable. Lying in bed at night listening to the ocean crashing on the rocky beach was sheer musical joy. No AC, don't need it, no screens because there are no bugs. The staff is top notch...friendly, helpful, cheerful, efficient. This is a must for the traveler who wants to get away from the cold and find something really different than the usual Caribbean resort.

• Liked — Comfortable and clean and breezy with the ocean right outside the window
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mt Top, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2007

I just returned from the most magnificent vacation of my life! The trip was to the Jungle Bay Resort in Dominica. It is just as the name indicates, in the Jungle. The accomodations are unique cottages built up the side of a mountain. There are many activities to choose from. You can lounge around the stone pool,attend yoga classes, cooking classes, learn about herbs for medicinal use or you can hike up a number of mountains at different degrees of difficulty. All hikes have beautiful water falls at the top or you can hike down to the glass pool at the ocean. You can go the extreme and hike 15 mi. round trip to the boiling lake (I wimped out on this one). If you choose the spa pakage a massage, facial, manicure or pedicure is included daily. The food prepared on site was excellent. The staff was the friendliest I have ever encountered on a vacation They treated everyone like family. The owners, Sam & Glenda joined the guests every evening at dinner and took time to chat with every guest at every opportunity. I highly recommend a trip to Jungle Bay.
gpreaat@ptd.net

Colorado, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2007

We recently spent four nights at Jungle Bay and found it to be exactly what it represents itself to be - a remote and rustic resort for adventure travelers with excellent food, services and activities. That description also applies to the island of Dominica.

If that's what you're looking for, you will not be disappointed. On the other hand, if you're looking for the usual Caribbean experience of a huge all-inclusive hotel with a private white-sand beach and pool with a swim-up bar, neither Jungle Bay nor Dominica is it.

Some details - we thought the Adventure Package was a great deal. It includes lodging, all meals (almost exclusively fresh fruits, vegetables, and seafood), and all activities, including a daily spa treatment. So a typical day begins with a 45 minute yoga class, then breakfast, then a full day of activities (e.g., hikes, Rosseau Saturday market, rum tour, snorkeling), then a 30 minute massage, then a relaxing dinner. For us, that's a perfect vacation day.

We found the owner Sam and his wife Glenda to be caring and gracious hosts and the staff to be very friendly and helpful. We would not hesitate to go back.

As other reviewers have indicated, there is a bit of a climb to get to the cabins so you have to decide what your priority is - less steps with less privacy or more steps with more privacy. We selected the latter and stayed at probably the highest cabin - 196 steps from the heart of the resort. However, being nearly at tree-top level by ourselves was very nice.

In short, we loved our stay and would highly recommend it for others seeking a similar experience.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Egypt, N.J.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2007

Just returned from Jungle Bay Resort & Spa in Dominica. Laura was instrumental in helping plan this trip for my family and friends (a group of 13 altogether). She was extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and very prompt with her responses to any questions any of us had.

The owner (Sam Raphael) is a very down-to-earth man whose biggest commitment is clearly to make sure that his guests are very well taken care of.

Our first day at the resort, we met with Sam and Laura, and worked out all of the details of our stay. We had and idea of what excursions we wanted to participate in, and Sam and Laura scheduled our week for us so that we could fit everything in that we wanted to do.

Our guides were Cleve, and Royston mainly, and over and above taking us on hikes to various places on the island and making sure that we got back safely, they also took the time to show us many of the plants, trees etc., and explain there varied uses, whether medicinal, or otherwise. It really showed that they were proud of their island, and wanted to share their heritage with us.

The food was great, and each night at dinner, Sam and his wife Glenda would make their rounds from table to table and make sure that everything was as it should be.

The Spa staff was excellent. My sister, who is a massage therapist in the U.S., of course was rating the therapists at the resort. If they're good enough for her, then they're good enough for me. They really went out of their way to make my youngest daughter (12 yrs. old) feel special each time she went to the spa for a massage or a manicure.

By the time we left, we felt like we had made many friends in the staff, including the owner, Sam. That really says something about a business whent the owner gets that personally involved with the customer.

As many places as I have traveled, I have only experienced this level of service at one other place, and I would highly recommend Jungle Bay Resort & Spa for anyone visiting Dominica. Just make sure that if you do vacation in Dominica that you are in good shape, and can do alot of hiking (The Boiling Lake hike is a very long and difficult hike, but well worth it). The only flat spot on the island is the dinner table!!

• Liked — The level of service was second to none
  • Disliked — Service at dinner could be a little slow, but not really a factor.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St. Croix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

My recent five day Jungle Bay escape vacation was an experience of a lifetime. The only problem was that it was too short! The rainforest island of Dominica is unbelievably lush and green. The rivers & waterfalls are breathtaking. I highly recommend the Boiling Lake hike, Victoria Falls, the snorkeling trip to Champagne Beach, the local organic farm tour …actually I recommend everything. My cottage (15) was beautiful, tasteful, and extremely comfortable. After hiking all day and savoring a fabulous dinner, it was heavenly to return to my cottage, sit on my porch, listen to nature and drift off to a delicious sleep. Though it has only been a few weeks since my stay, I have already made arrangements to return to Jungle Bay for Mother's Day. The food was delicious, healthy and for a change genuinely Caribbean. The Jungle Bay staff and the Dominican people in general are the friendliest in the Caribbean. They knew me by my first name as soon as I arrived at Jungle Bay. I spent a lot of time with tour guides Irvin & Moses. They sure know their herbs and they go above and beyond for the guests. The Spa manager, Glenda & her team spoiled me with their coconut based “Jungle-Bay” signature massage every day.

I highly recommend Jungle Bay to anyone in search of an authentic, nature-based, adventurous, yet relaxing vacation. I plan to make Jungle Bay, Dominica my private “get away and recharge” spot! Jungle Bay has successfully partnered B&B service with resort amenities. It was beyond my expectations!

• Liked — Outside shower, large room, open and airy
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Jungle Bay, Dominica? Share your experiences!