“Favorite Caribbean island” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Point Mulatre
St. Croix
“Favorite Caribbean island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

My recent five day Jungle Bay escape vacation was an experience of a lifetime. The only problem was that it was too short! The rainforest island of Dominica is unbelievably lush and green. The rivers & waterfalls are breathtaking. I highly recommend the Boiling Lake hike, Victoria Falls, the snorkeling trip to Champagne Beach, the local organic farm tour …actually I recommend everything. My cottage (15) was beautiful, tasteful, and extremely comfortable. After hiking all day and savoring a fabulous dinner, it was heavenly to return to my cottage, sit on my porch, listen to nature and drift off to a delicious sleep. Though it has only been a few weeks since my stay, I have already made arrangements to return to Jungle Bay for Mother's Day. The food was delicious, healthy and for a change genuinely Caribbean. The Jungle Bay staff and the Dominican people in general are the friendliest in the Caribbean. They knew me by my first name as soon as I arrived at Jungle Bay. I spent a lot of time with tour guides Irvin & Moses. They sure know their herbs and they go above and beyond for the guests. The Spa manager, Glenda & her team spoiled me with their coconut based “Jungle-Bay” signature massage every day.

I highly recommend Jungle Bay to anyone in search of an authentic, nature-based, adventurous, yet relaxing vacation. I plan to make Jungle Bay, Dominica my private “get away and recharge” spot! Jungle Bay has successfully partnered B&B service with resort amenities. It was beyond my expectations!

• Liked — Outside shower, large room, open and airy
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Broolyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2007

My wife and I just retruned from a delightful week at Jungle Bay. We have stayed at numerous ecolodges (Costa Rica, Belize, , New Zealand) and this was far and away the best place we have stayed. We can't wait to go back.

The setting is stunning and our cottage, in the jungle canopy, with great views of the ocean, was beautiful and incredibly comfortable. The food was good and the setting unbelievable. The constant sound of waves breaking and birds chirping guranteed constant relaxation.

While the resort offered a wide array of activitiies, we had a car and mostly did hikes on our own, with Jungle Bay arranging for local guides to take us on the hikes. All the guides were excellent. The morning Yoga classes were great too.

We spent one day diving. While the diving was good, if I had to do it over again, I would skip the divign for another day of hiking.

Jungle Bay is incredibly well run and staffed by the most friendly and helpful people, who seem to really love working there. Sam and Glenda have built a really remarkable place and we will definitely be back.

• Liked — The setting, accommodation and frienliness of the staff
  • Disliked — the food was a little expensive
  • Stayed April 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hoboken, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2007

While this is most likely the nicest place to stay on the island of Dominica, I wouldn't recommend the island for anybody who wants a "beach" Caribbean vacation or Jungle Bay for someone expecting to stay at a luxurious "resort," despite its name.

The "resort" is comprised of a few simple structures - the main hall with a beautiful yoga room (but not used if there is a private group visiting and you have to pay for daily yoga classes!), treehouses that every guest stays in (ask for one that is low to the base of the resort if you're not prepared to climb 50 or more steps, no joke), the main pavilion where every meal is served, and the pool area with a makeshift bar that the hotel will open on a whim. The pool itself is very nice, but it's small and there are very few chaise lounge chairs so make sure you get out there early and grab a spot or you'll be stuck laying your towel out on the wood terrace. There's no beach; just grass and rocks becuase the Resort sits high above the Atlantic. To swim, you have to travel approx 2 hrs to the other side of the island to the Caribbean Sea side, where excellent snorkeling and diving abounds.

While the food at the Resort is fresh, creative and delicious, and the staff is wonderfully gracious, there are no other food options available whatsoever. Furthermore, you will have to leave the resort to take any advantage of the island's natural wonders. That said, leaving the resort means renting a car and risking the crazy twists and turns or paying to be part of one of the Resort's "excursions," to and from which guests are shuttled in minivans that feel claustrophobic at best for, on average, 1 to 2 hours each way (that's right, EACH WAY).

The Spa at the Resort is functional, at best, though the treatment rooms feature some of the best views available on the grounds. All the "technicians" seem to be miraculously trained by the owner's wife, and that apparently makes her an expert in massage therapy, manicures, pedicures, facials and other American-priced Spa Therapies (unlikely, esp. b/c she seems to lead morning yoga as well.... multitalented !). My manicure was like someone took a paintbrush to my nailbeds and my massage, while relaxing , was arguably overpriced and not very special. Two other women at the Resort who were styaing there said that their massages were cut short by 15 mts so watch the clock.

The treehouse-style rooms are fun and different and the outdoor shower is probably the best feature. Again, some "cottages," as they are called are in excess of 100 steps above the main road that runs through the resort so make sure you ask before you get stuck hiking back and forth to your room several times/day. I sure hope they pay their housekeepers well!!! Be prepared for geckos in the rooms, no a/c (though not entirely necessary), and - much to my dismay - a field/jungle mouse that greeted me in the bathroom on my last day.

All in all, it's a nice place to stay but that's not saying much given what your other options are on the island. Regardless, as long as you know what you're getting into, your expectations won't be totally squashed.

• Liked — The food and the kitchen/waitstaff.
  • Disliked — Website makes it sounds like a luxurious getaway and it's quite the opposite.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GoDominica, Owner at Jungle Bay, Dominica, responded to this review, April 13, 2007
We appreciate this feedback –positive and negative- and also wish to clarify some points.

First we would like to thank you for the excellent rating of our cleanliness & service and are especially delighted that you enjoyed the food. We are quite new and have been working diligently with our local staff on the menu. We are still on the job with our training but the positive feedback will be encouraging.

YES, Jungle Bay and the ‘Nature Island of Dominica’ are best suited for the soft-adventure traveler who seeks off-the-beaten path natural adventure/attractions, authentic Caribbean cultural experiences and fairly comfortable accommodations notwithstanding the steps to their private coastal resort. Dominica is a walking destination for people who like to hike, climb and explore. The sites we take our guests to are generally un-touristy, unspoiled, and sometimes take a little extra effort to reach, which makes them all the more special.

NO, Jungle Bay (and Dominica in general) is not necessarily the best place for those wonderful people who need to reach their island destination by direct flight. It is a challenge to get to which says clearly that it is ideal for those who seek the rugged pristine but not for everyone.

We are situated on the rugged Atlantic coast, a stunningly beautiful bay, but the current is too strong for swimming. The closest swimming beaches are at Rosalie which is a half hour to the north or Champagne on the Caribbean side of the island which is one hour away. Most of our waterfall hikes, ocean kayaking and other excursions are between ten to thirty minutes of our property. We usually use two customized outfitted Nissan Patrol Safari trucks for excursions because of their outdoor jungle feel however occasionally we might use a buss for an excursion. Our busses are generally for airport pick-up and drop-off. We hand make all our furniture, indoor and outdoor and did get caught off guard with not enough lounge chairs around the pool this winter season. Now that the busy winter season is winding down we plan to build additional units to accommodate a full house. We will be installing two hot tubs below the pool deck this summer thanks to guest suggestions.

Glenda my wife is our Spa Director and Yoga Instructor. Glenda got her formal Yoga teacher training directly from Yogi Hari, a well known international yogi. In addition to being dedicated to the philosophy of wellness and healthy living her entire life she is a US certified Spa technician having completed over 500 hours of training at a reputable Florida massage school. We use other instructors for treatments like manicure, pedicure facials etc. Because of our commitment to hiring and training local persons from the surrounding villages throughout the resort and because we are still relatively new we sometimes fall a little short on some finer things. Some of the technicians who have been with us from the beginning are quite good we are told however I take your point that ongoing emphasis needs to be placed on their continuing education especially in the off season. I followed up on the complaint that someone’s appoint time was cut short and was told that their treatment started early thus the discrepancy. Notwithstanding this has been a learning lesson and we have now instituted procedures to ensure that this never happen again

Jungle Bay has been described by many of our guests and leading travel publications like the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, Outside Magazine, Caribbean Travel & Life, Destination Weddings & Honeymoons etc, etc as a world class adventure resort. We just learned that Forbes April 07 ranks us as one of their top ten luxury eco resorts in the world! Our facilities and activities attempt to immerse adventure seeking guests in pure nature while still providing the comfort of hot water, comfortable beds, fine organic cuisine, relaxing massages, and highly knowledgeable and trained tour guides, friendly staff, and more. We offer a unique blend of nature based physical activity and mental relaxation (wellness). Most activities, including getting to your lovely cottage, require walking under the forest canopy. The natural beauty of the forest and sound of the ocean is our Jungle Bay television (Pun) – unlike most resorts we have no TV. Most guests recognize what we are before they get here however occasionally some may not. Thanks for letting us know that we need sharpen our message on what we are. For 99% of our guest Jungle Bay and Dominica is “Heaven on Earth” however we aspire to increase our guest delight rating to 100%.
Las Cruces, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2007

Our vacation at Jungle Bay was fanatasic! Jungle Bay represents ecotourism at its finest. The minimal impact that the owner has worked to affect on the environment and the respect for the environment are obvious in the food that is served, the activities offerred, the facitilies themselves and in the attitudes of the employees. Our experience here was genuine in all ways. The adventure package offered value that surpasses anything we have experienced at a reasonable cost . We feel privileged to have vacationed here and we will be coming back here in the future.

• Liked — Vegan food
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2007

The first thing you need to understand about Jungle Bay is that it more than a hotel/resort; it is a group of the most amazingly wonderful, friendly people imaginable. You will be sad to leave because it means leaving your many new friends. This alone would make Jungle Bay a unique experience but the fact is that the property itself is also quite lovely and the setting exquisite. I would definitely recommend Jungle Bay for a very special vacation.

The Property: Luxurious jungle cottages are set on stilts in a beautiful, lush jungle setting. Be prepared for a lot of walking -- it is a long hill up from the check-in lodge to the cottages and restaurant and most of the cottages require a climb up many steps (125 for ours). Wear comfortable walking shoes and a small flashlight is useful at night. There is a small gift shop for useful items like T-shirts, shorts, bathing suits, performance sandals, aspirin, suntan lotion, snacks,etc. but you are an extremely long drive to any other shops (so, for example, don't count on ever finding any cold tablets or throat lozenges). The restaurant is open air with a lovely view of the pool and ocean. The yoga studio is also gorgeous with a lovely view. There is a small fitness studio but forget it and do the hikes instead. This is definitely not a place for anyone who is not capable of walking distances uphill. Forget fancy shoes, clothes and makeup and just be comfortable.

The Rooms: The rooms are totally private and spacious cottages with very comfortable beds, mini-refrigerator, coffee maker, US electricity, private balcony, and so many open windows you feel as though you are sleeping in the open air with the sound of the surf below. We loved the large, partially outdoor showers although don't come if you have a lizard phobia. Cute little ground lizards abound everywhere, even watching you while you shower and occasionally scurrying into your bedroom. But no bugs! No air conditioning but a celing fan kept the room largely comfortable at night. It could be quite warm during the day, however.

The Food: The food is not elaborate but was good enough to keep us content eating there for a week. All ingredients are very fresh and I particularly enjoyed the wide variety of vegetarian options and the fresh sorbets for dessert. My husband loved the tuna (ask for it rare). Breakfast was a buffet with good variety, interesting fresh fruit juices and wonderful pancakes. Also try the freshly brewed ginger tea at dinner.

The Activities: As a prelude, you should know that we are largely do-it-yourself, independent travellers who avoid guided tours at all costs. We spent a few days at Fort Young (also a very nice, convenient in-town hotel but quite different) on the West Coast and then rented a car which we drove to Trafalger Falls and then on to Jungle Bay. We spent the first couple of days taking drives to see the less developed eastern side of the island. It was beautiful but takes a a very long time to drive anywhere -- at least an hour or two each way -- so it can be exhausting to drive and, since we not comfortable driving at night, we never went anywhere else for dinner (although one couple at Jungle Bay did). After a couple of days, we gave up the car and switched to the Spa and Adventure package and started taking the guided hikes and a massage every day. I definitely recommend all of the activities. The scenic beauty of the island is awesome and much of it is inaccessible except by foot. Many of the trails are hard to find and not well marked so a guide is really required or beneficial. More importantly, however, the guides add an important extra dimension to the experience. They are very attuned to nature so point out many things we would have missed ourselves, like green iguanas, showing us cinnamon leaves and bark, picking fresh guavas and grapefruits from trees, etc. But most amazingly, you may be lucky enough to meet some of their family and friends in their home towns or learn about the culture of the island. We cannot believe how much we fell in love with the people of Dominica. You should do all that you can to meet , talk to, and interact with as many people as you can and the guided tours and activities amazingly add to this experience. So -- we enjoyed having the car for a few days but I cannot say that you would miss a whole lot if you did not have it. There are tours for all interest and activity levels and several of the activites give a scenic drive to see parts of the island (like snorkeling, the rum tour, or the trip to Roseau/Trafalger Falls). They are also very accommodating at Jungle Bay about adding, revising or re-arranging activities to meet the needs and interests of the guests there that week. My husband is more fit than I am and did most of the more strenous waterfall hikes; I setttled for the moderate ones. Glasse Trail was my favorite and Zom Zom on the Jungle Bay property was also beautiful but a bit more challenging; I also enjoyed snorkeling and the rum tour.

The Eco Feature: You must listen to Sam's description of the development of the property to fully understand both how amazing it was that this property was built and the benefits of the property to the local economy while still preserving the island resources. There are several places to stay in different areas of Dominica and, if you have the time, I actually recommend staying in several places because the island is too large to see it all in a week or two. But if you have to make one choice, the eco benefits and activities of Jungle Bay have to weigh in its favor.

Now for our 20th Anniversary: We had a perfect week at Jungle Bay but our anniversary day itself was amazing! We starting with drumming meditation before breakfast; hiked the beautiful Glasse Trail; visited a local community "factory" for bay leaf oil and arrowroot flour; took the very scenic rum tour (hiking through people's back yards to see how rum is made and sample their fresh made local rum, coupled with an amzingly scenic drive); had a couple massage overlooking the ocean; had dinner at a private table set by the pool; were served an anniversary cake baked especially for us by the kitchen staff ; received anniversary greetings from nearly everyone we met on the property all day long; and had farewell drinks with other guests. Truly a day to be cherished and remembered forever!

• Liked — The people; natural beauty; outdoor activities; outdoor showers; sound of the surf
  • Disliked — Long drive to anywhere; lots of uphill walking; hot
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Mentor, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2007

Two years ago, we stayed at Chaa Creek in Belize & had a fantastic time (great food, great outdoor adventures, hiking, Mayan ruins,...)...In my opinion, Jungle Bay is very similar to Chaa Creek & would highly recommend both places!

Before going to Dominica & Jungle Bay, we read the great reviews on Trip Advisor. Fodor's said No Kids at Jungle Bay. When I contacted Jungle Bay, they said it was definitely ok to bring kids. Our party consisted of two families (4 kids ages 8 - 12). FYI - Jungle Bay is probably better for kids who are active (> 7 years old?)

Bottom line: We would go gladly back to Jungle Bay on our next vacation! Why?

#1 Owner/Employees: Jungle Bay had the best owners & employees (Sam, Glenda, Moses, Irvan, Starree, Joanne, Cleve, Fiona, Marcia, Laura,...). When have you ever stayed at a place & could easily remember 10 names? They made you feel like a part of their family. Our kids had a great time.

#2 Location: Beautiful cottages on the side of a mountain with an ocean view. No screens on windows because there were No mosquitoes! Very comfortable...no fancy clothes needed! Natural beauty everywhere. Jungle Bay is away from everything (paradise? no traffic noise, no city lights,...).
Only possible negative: You may have to drive an hour or so to a lot of activities.

#3 Food: Dominica has the most diverse fresh fruits ! Jungle Bay had 6 types of fresh squeezed juice for breakfast. Fresh fish or chicken or vegetarian meals. I felt great, never stuffed,...perfect! Excerise + great food = lost some weight without dieting!

#4 Activities: Jungle Bay tour guides love to show you everything (names of plants, uses, etc.)...extremely knowledgeable & friendly. Kids loved them! I would highly recommend and advise the use of a guide for all activities & driving!
Boiling Lake - our kids made the hike...it's definitely physically demanding regarding ups & downs, but very little bouldering/climbing. Victoria Falls - some difficult bouldering. Emerald Falls - let down after seeing Victoria & Sari Sari. There are a couple of hikes just off the property. Other activities - ocean kayaking, snorkeling, Carib Territory.

Do's - stay at Jungle Bay, Boiling Lake, Victoria Falls (if physically fit), use guides/drivers (can arrange private ones too), bring shoes & clothes that can get wet & dry fast, raincoat (rain forest), be ready to do some physical activity (other option is to just hang out at the spa + pool + shop in the city on the other side of the island)

Don'ts - rent a car, try to go to some places without a guide (no signs), bring any fancy clothes, & please don't forget that Dominica is special because of its people (remember you're more of a guest than a tourist...be friendly & coureous)

• Liked — Owners & Employees - friendliest people...made you feel like family
  • Disliked — Heavy rainstorm on first 2 nights...created a lot of noise (rooms designed to hear ocean, etc. which is not good when there is a storm
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2007

We returned from a five day vacation at the Jungle Bay Resort two weeks ago. I can not possibly describe fully how incredible the experience was. My expectations were exceeded in every way! Get the Jungle Bay Spa Adventure Package - it is a fantastic value for your money!
My husband and I travelled with another couple. From the east coast, it was a full day's travel with our arrival at around 5pm. The airport is very small but I expected to have to take a tiny airplane to get in there and thankfully, we did not. It was about a thirty seater flown by LIAT. One of the Jungle Bay guides met us as soon as we got off the plane. Our layover in San Juan had been very short, so of course, our luggage did not arrive. Just as promised, the guide brought along plenty of cold, fresh juices and bottled water. He was very informative about all of the sights along the way but the roads are a bit hilly and windy (and we have a tendency to get a bit carsick). The ride to Jungle Bay is about 90 min.
We felt like members of the family from the minute we set foot at Jungle Bay. Every single staff member they employ is friendly and helpful. We were greeted in the restaurant on the very first evening by the owner of the resort, Sam Raphael. Of course, we didn't know he was the owner until a day or so later. He made sure we had everything we needed in our rooms and answered all of our questions about how things worked with the Jungle Bay Spa Package. The weekly schedule of available excursions and sign up sheets for the next day's activities were in the restaurant every afternoon. There was no problem with getting to do every activity we wanted to do while we were there. Because we really wanted to do the Victoria Falls hike and it was not offered on the original schedule, Sam arranged for that hike to be added in.
The resort's description/ranking of each activity we did was right on...no exaggeration either way. We did a lot of walking - up and down steps to our room, and pretty vigorous hiking like the Boiling Lake hike. The guides are absolutely the greatest!! We essentially tried to do it all in the time we had at the resort. We did yoga most mornings, excursions throughout the day, spa treatments every evening and dinner/drinks every night. It was just the perfect mix of work and play!
The food was excellent and plenty of it. There is no red meat but many other chicken/seafood/vegetarion offerings at every meal. All of the fresh fruits and vegetables were heavenly. Dinner was also a lot of fun because of the family feel to it. With only around 35 cabins, we ran into the same people throughout our stay. We got their opinions about the various activities they had done while we were off doing other things and vice versa. I had never stayed at a "small" resort before and it was just great to me.
The rooms were exactly what we expected..I think "rustic elegance" is the way they are described. I would agree. We had everthing we needed. The semi-outdoor showers were fantastic..always plenty of hot water. There is a phone in the room and it is easy to make a quick phone call home to check on things..for less money than I expected.
The pictures on the website are excellent at showing the amenities but can't possibly show how beatiful it is to be in Dominica and to experience the fresh air and 1000 shades of green. Again, I would highly recommend this resort!!! Two caveats only: be ready to do some walking (with the trade off being some spectacular views) and be ready to travel along some twisty roads to get to/from the airport and to the hikes. Pack your carry-on carefully, with enough to get you through for a couple of days!

Stayed February 2007

Been to Jungle Bay, Dominica? Share your experiences!