“Great place!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Point Mulatre, Point Mulatre 0001, Dominica   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Point Mulatre
“Great place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Only had a brief stay at Jungle Bay but it is a fantastic spot, with friendly staff and lots to do if you want to be energetic, and lots to do if you want to just relax. Dominica is so unspoiled compared to the rest of the Caribbean and Jungle Bay is completely in character. I will be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Maennedorf, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is my forth time at Jungle Bay and on the beautiful Nature Island! I cannot rave enough about this place, it is just absolutely magic what has been created in the jungle, bordering the Atlantic Ocean. The staff is very friendly, you are not just a visitor or a guest, but a friend being welcomed at their home.
There is so much to do and to explore, I love all the activities, yoga, etc. I especially liked the hikes. And even it is your 4th time going to the Boiling Lake, each time it is a challenge, but also very rewarding at the end! The food is absolutely wonderful! You can tell that the ingredients are from the island, fresh, organic and healthy! I absolutely loved the lunch at Pump’s place (the Tuesday excursion), Justin (one of the guides) was preparing food over a fire, I am already looking forward to my next visit to this beautiful farm in the mountains and to see Pump again, who showed us around and invited us to his home. And at the end of the day, when you get “home” from a day out of hiking, you can enjoy a relaxing spa treatment. Especially in the evening the spa has the most beautiful atmosphere. Enjoy a Jungle Bay signature massage, the sound of the ocean… What else can you ask for?
I will be back – already planning my 5th trip to this incredible island and wonderful people at and around Jungle Bay!

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

A group of 12 of us went for a yoga retreat and we had the time of our lives. At Jungle Bay, Sam, Nancy and the rest of the crew have thought of everything. The wooden cottages on stilts are heavenly, fresh flowers and towels, comfy bed, ceiling fan, outdoor shower, hammock overlooking the ocean and verdant surroundings, the scent of bay oil permeating the rooms. The staff could not be more accommodating. Sam is a great guy who is doing a wonderful thing here by creating this haven for visitors while also helping the people and economy of the country. He is totally hands on, as is the rest of the staff who are fully committed to helping you have a great time while educating you about their island in a joyous way. Immana and Justian in the pavillion were especially sweet, as was Simone in reception, but, really, everyone was wonderful. The ocean pavillion is a gorgeous place to take meals, with a view of the pool and the ocean. The food is healthy and good. We loved the excursions - Victoria Falls, Champagne Beach, Boiling Lake, the World Creole Festival, the White River, and can't say enough about how knowledgable, helpful and able our guides were. It seemed they were right there with outstretched arms to make sure we were safe at every step. We swam in waterfalls and hot mineral springs, hiked the Valley of Desolation, swam in the grottos of the TiTou Gorge where Pirates of Caribeean was filmed , snorkelled in the bubbles of Champagne beach, danced to Damien Marley at the festival, meditated and did yoga and played ping pong and drank sorrel juice and ginger lemon tea - this was way beyond our expectations. I should add that there are two huge and lovely yoga rooms and a spa for massage and other treatements where the rooms overlook the ocean. I have to give a special shout out to Crucial, who brought my phone to me at the airport when I had left it in the van and he was already halfway back to Jungle Bay, which was truly above and beyond the call of duty. If you get the chance to go here, do not hesitate - GO!

Room Tip: Cabin 12 is up 130 steps and has a great view of the ocean, I loved it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I just returned from a week-long adventure at Jungle Bay -- truly one of the best trips I've ever taken. Before I go on, though, be aware that this is NOT your typical Caribbean vacation. If you are looking for white-sand beaches and luxury, do not continue reading this and do not go to Jungle Bay. However, this is the place you want to be if you want a true jungle adventure. Jungle Bay is a beautiful eco-lodge. Everything in the lovely, spotlessly clean and comfortable tree-house cottages is built from natural elements from the island. The cottages are reached by climbing many, many steps (e.g. 150) so this is not for the weak of heart or body. There is no A/C anywhere in the resort. The cottages have fans and big windows that allow the sounds of the jungle and the sea to lull you to sleep. You may encounter friendly lizards and such in your room and especially in the awesome outdoor shower, but they just add to the ambiance. The dining room is perched above a pool and affords a stunning view of the water. The food is plentiful, healthy and tasty. The spa is lovely and the treatments were excellent. In order to take advantage of Jungle Bay, you must be willing to engage in a number of rigorous adventures -- e.g., river scrambling and mountain climbing -- which were absolutely fantastic and breathtaking. The guides, including Brother, Keith and Justin, are amazing -- so patient with those of us (i.e. me) who were novices at this type of activity -- and knowledgeable about every tree, leaf and rock on this gorgeous island. The staff at Jungle Bay, under the leadership of Sam and Karen, are likewise fantastic. Joanne and Justinian in the dining room are so warm, kind and accommodating. Every single person at Jungle Bay is there to make sure your trip is perfect; for example, they insisted on packing us up sandwiches and snacks for our trip home. A delightful group of people, working so hard with a perpetual smile. This is not a destination for those who insist on creature comforts or want to sit under an umbrella working on their tans, but it is fabulous for people who want a real jungle adventure without having to fly to Africa to get it!

Room Tip: Cottage 7 is relatively close to the action and has a great view of the jungle and water.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We recently spent our honeymoon at the JBRS, and it was everything we were looking for.The pace of the island is relaxed, and the staff helped us settle in straight from the airport pickup. The greenery of the island is stunning and JBRS immerses you in it through nature hikes, a cottage among the trees (forest critters included), food sourced locally and the local community making you feel at home there. I cannot say how incredibly satisfying it was to enjoy honeymoon amenities (such as daily massages, yoga, fruit drinks, etc) while never once feeling like you were imposing on the island or on nature surrounding you. Spectacular, and much of it thanks to the Sam, Glenda and the amazing staff!

Room Tip: The honeymoon suites have an ocean view! But if you don't like stairs, ask for something lower...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
St Michael, Barbados
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

JBRS is a real find and the perfect place for getting away from all the cliches of usual vacation travel. Excellent facilities and service.

Room Tip: Mind your steps - the highest cottage is 200 steps up!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

I can't say enough about how wonderful Jungle Bay is and what a great time we had here! The cabins were great and very clean. A few critters here and there but you're in the jungle! I showered with a lizard every morning. The showers weren't very warm, but they're solar heated and we were there in February so maybe that had something to do with it? It wasn't too hot but it was perfect weather for hiking! We definitely took advantage of the Jungle Bay Spa and Adventure Package. The trip to Victoria Falls and Sari Sari Falls was amazing. Victoria was a bit more strenuous but definitely worth it because it was absolutely gorgeous. Lots of boulders to climb over though and you WILL get wet so be prepared. If you're looking for an easy trek, the Glasse Trail would be the one for you. It was beautiful and an easy walk there and back. I would definitely recommend the hike to Pomp's place, a self-sustained organic farm in the mountains. It was very interesting to see and Pomp and his wife were so friendly. I capped off our last day there with the hike to boiling lake. It's definitely extreme but WELL worth it. Probably my favorite hike of the trip (once I regained feeling in my legs). If you're going on that hike, be sure to brings lots of water and a rain jacket because the weather can turn in a second and it can get pretty chilly. The hot springs on the way back were a nice relaxing dip and a good way to loosen up the muscles.

We also got a half hour massage every day included in our package. Let me tell you, there's nothing better than coming back from a long hike and getting a fabulous foot massage. If you miss a day, you can combine that half hour with another day and get an hour massage. It's entirely up to you. They're pretty flexible. I also tried a facial and a swedish massage which were great as well. I was also able to make it to a few yoga classes. I've never tried yoga but Nancy was a wonderful teacher and I absolutely loved it! It's a great class that anyone is capable of doing, no matter your skill level.

Last but not least, the food! I must say, it was the best food I remember having anywhere! Joanne is an amazing chef. The kingfish was especially delicious and all the food is good, local, and organic. You can't beat that. Overall, I would definitely recommend this place to anyone that loves hiking and the environment. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Jungle Bay, Dominica? Share your experiences!