“A fine and unique experience on the Evansville riverfront” 4 of 5 stars

You added Le Merigot at Tropicana to your Saves list
Le Merigot at Tropicana
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Northwest Riverside Drive, Evansville, IN 47708   |
Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Evansville
“A fine and unique experience on the Evansville riverfront”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

The service here is no better than the cookie-cutter Comfort Inns & such. But for accommodations, design, and amenities (e.g. omni-directional shower), this hotel legitimately lays claim to "boutique." And it's a quiet, unfrenetic alternative to its next-door sister Tropicana. An excellent value for the price.

• Stayed May 2014
David S, Manager at Le Merigot at Tropicana, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate the feedback. I have shared your comments with our team to help emphasize the importance of guest service. We want to be the best hotel in town and your review will help us. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Overall the hotel was in pretty good shape. The room was nice, clean, with modern amenities. The buffet next door at the Tropicana is pretty lame. Imagine the stuff Golden Corral would throw away being served there. The Ra Ri Irish Pub next the hotel is a much better deal with all beers being reasonably priced. The casino had a nice selection of machines and table games, unfortunately the smell of smoke is pretty over powering. Even for smokers. They could do wonders if they ever changed the air filters. But the biggest negative was that they offered a military rate when I booked the room then I was screwed when I got there and had to pay almost twice what the military rate was. I understand they have to make money, but the bait and switch is a little predatory.

• Stayed March 2014
David S, Manager at Le Merigot at Tropicana, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us. I have forwarded your comments concerning Temptations Buffet to our Director of Food & Beverage. Please know that if we offered you a military discount, we will stand by it. I'm not sure what happened, but would like to know more so that we can make the necessary adjustments and prevent your experience from happening to other guests. Please know that respect all our guests and want to do right by them. Please contact the hotel and ask to speak with me.
Sittard, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I stayed four nights in Le Merigot during a business trip. Rooms are really nice, with good beds and a nice bathroom which had a very nice shower. It had a rain shower as well as different showerheads along the wall. Nice. No bath. TV is a bit small.
The bar area is nice, modern design, with an impressive wall with all sorts of liquors.
Breakfast gave a mixed feeling. Lots of fresh fruit, yoghurt and cereals, which I personally love. However, no cooked breakfast for those who love their eggs, bacon and beans. You have to eat your breakfast either from the bar, or from quite low comfortable chairs and tables, which are not ideal to eat from.
You can walk indoors to the casino, and to an area which has several restaurants. This is nice if you want to enjoy a drink with your meal, so you can walk back to your room, and don't have to worry about driving.
Overall a good hotel, but what you get is in line with what you expect considering the price per night. There is nothing really special which you will remember. Nevertheless, I would not hesitate to come back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
David S, Manager at Le Merigot at Tropicana, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We appreciate your comments. I will be sharing you review with our team as a learning tool as we strive to be the best hotel in Tri-state. We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Evansville.
Williamsport, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Me stayed at this hotel because my wife's Grandmother had fallen ill, and I was looking for a way above average place for her to relax. There is alot of good and a little bit bad about this hotel. I am going to start with the bad and work to the good.

The Bad... We arrived around 7:30pm ish and there was a very nice young lady at the desk. Unfortunately she had to call someone to get permission to give us the standard casino holder rate??? It makes people wonder whats going on when staff have to call and ask permission to do common tasks.

Our room while clean had not been updated in quite a while. For instance, at some point a rock band must have stayed in the room, there were black marks all over the walls from what I can only assume was luggage being thrown. We had to use 3 towels (I will get to the towels in a minute) to soak up the water leaking from the shower and running into the other area's. The shower door seal was far to old and weak to hold the water in. Something that I am sure every room service person must have noticed as they cleaned up the mess.

The handsome desk in our room had RUST on it. Now I am sure that hotel would call it "PATINA" but anyway you slice it, it's rust!

The towels look white and fluffy right until you try to dry off! I have washed clothes in a filthy stream over a rock in a third would country that came out softer than the towels and sheets in our room. The hotel needs to get some soft water and add some fabric softener to every load.

Breakfast, if you are a bunny who only wants cold cereal and berries I am sure you think breakfast is wonderful. There was some kind of scrambled egg looking thing cut into squares that both my wife and I could not each. Crunchy eggs are always wrong!

Lastly, no microwave or refrigerator... This is supposed to be a up scale hotel all about luxury and there is no microwave or fridge??? It is 2014 right, even 49 dollar a night have these things...

Im not sure if this is good or bad, but you have to follow a maze to get from the hotel to the casino, and another maze from the casino to the FOOD! Again the maze is not all bad just not what we were expecting.

THE GOOD!!!!!

The hotel staff are wonderful. We met several of them in the short time we were there and we greeted warmly each time. The staff did everything and more that we asked. The night time VALET guy even asked if we wanted him to find our car in the parking building and bring it over to the hotel. Everyone in the hotel did a great job.

I know considering all the bad I wrote about this is going to seem strange but we really enjoyed and relaxed in our room. Yes the room had ALOT of quirks, but the chair sitting in front of the huge window hugging my wife made up for alot of them.

The bed was clean and after we beat some softness into the sheets was very comfortable. Huge HUGE really BIG pillows were great! The heating controls made the room comfortable in a matter of minutes, we turned it up when we took showers and almost got too hot. Our dresser had a hidden treasure inside that after giggling about we re wrapped and put back inside.

The room is spacious and well laid out. A closet with lights holds the white robe (you cant keep it) and the slippers (you can keep them) but only for one person. Seems like there should be 2 of each for couples.

The bath room has a small tv, coffee, a nice place for her to put on her makeup. The toilet is stashed away behind one of the glass doors and the other door leads to...... THE SHOWER

The shower in our room was used over, and over and over again! Warm rain falling on your head while little jets of hot water massage your back and butt is something you have to experience .... I simply dont have the words ....

At a stressful time such as my wife faced this hotel was perfect and a blast to be in and explore. No, its not brand new and I doubt by todays standards it is the best. That said, there are several places you can just sit, drink a cup of coffee (there was coffee everywhere we seemed to look), talk, watch the people on the cold side of the glass, then talk some more.

Everyone we met and talked to also liked this hotel, all seemed to have the same quirky stories about the rooms but all in all everyone said they wanted to stay again.

I hope this helps someone else.

Jim

Room Tip: The parking garage is a block away from the hotel but the main road and the garage road lead to the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay. Hopefully, your wife's grandmother is doing better. I have shared your comments with our team as an example of how important they are in a guest's experience. We would love to welcome you back and hopefully, this time you would be able to see the Icemen play. Please feel free to call on me if I can be of assistance. Sincerely, David S. Hotel Manager.
Crothersville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Just to clarify, I stayed in December 2008. Where I entered the date of my travel on this review, I could scroll no further back than Feb '13 for some reason. The bar was awesome with the bottles and lights and a modern feel. I felt like a celebrity :) Staff at the desk lobby very nice and courteous. The room was nice. I liked the decor. The bed was billowy soft and so comfortable. The bathroom was impressive. Rusk toiletries. Starbucks coffee! The shower head was a little too forceful for me. Continental breakfast was abundant, served in the bar area. You couldn't leave unsatisfied for what it offered. A beautiful arrangement of foods. One big complaint and one small one is all I have. The room was a little noisy. I could hear the hall traffic and doors shutting. The big complaint was someone kept opening our door which we had locked and secured on the inside with the swinging bar so thankfully the door would only open so far. So when we would hear the door opening, we would ask yes? can we help you? By the time I could get clothed to get to the door, it was closed again. Happened twice within a short period of time. This was late afternoon. Well after cleaning hours. When we would look out in the hall, seen no one. We mentioned it to the front desk and they just seemed confused about who it could have been and offered really no direction or resolution about it. Overall, I would stay again.

Room Tip: I wish I knew there were river view rooms before booking.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
David S, Manager at Le Merigot at Tropicana, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Thank you for posting your review and sharing your comments. We appreciate the feedback. I will be sharing your comments with our team as a learning tool so that we can provide the level of service our guests expect. We hope to welcome you back in the future.
Cooper City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

This hotel is by the river near the Tropicana casino and several restaurant/night clubs. We were here during the week on business so it was pretty quiet. I understand its very busy on weekends. The rooms are modern and nicely appointed. The showers are excellent with circular jets. Beds were comfortable with nice linens. They have a breakfast buffet that is just OK but it was free. Location is an attraction if you want to gamble on the stationary riverboat or hit the clubs. Convenient location downtown. Price was reasonable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
David S, Manager at Le Merigot at Tropicana, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay. We appreciate the compliments as we strive to be the best hotel in the Tri-State. We are conveniently located downtown and offer several dining and entertainment options. We hope that when your travels bring you to Evansville, we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.
Marion, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

If you have read any other reviews you know the showers are fantastic and they are but the towels are like sand paper. Also, I have stayed here for years and this will be my last time. Highest priced hotel by far in Evansville and you would think that when you leave in the morning they could at least have the rooms cleaned when you return at 3:30. "Manager" is in hallway with two cleaning staff, who have the hallway blocked with their carts, apparently having a disagreement about something. When they see me standing there trying to get to my room all of a sudden everything is fine. Well it wasn't. I told them to just forget about cleaning the room and at a high priced hotel like this you would think you could have the rooms cleaned by 3:30. At that point the "manager" glares at me and curtly informs me that cleaning crew is here until 4:00. Other than the showers and the convenience to the casino there is NOTHING to justify or command the prices that this hotel charges. For the money there are alot newer and nicer hotels on the east side.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your most recent review of LeMerigot. Again, we apologize for the poor service you received. As you mentioned, this was not your first stay with and you know that we are better than this. You are correct; we are the most expensive hotel in the area. We didn't live up to your expectations, or ours, and that's why we adjusted your account when the failure was discovered. We have shared your experience with our housekeeping team as an example of the importance of cleaning rooms in a timely manner. We appreciate you as a guest and hope to have the chance to welcome you back. I hope that you will take the opportunity to reach out to me so that I may assist you with your next visit to Evansville.

Been to Le Merigot at Tropicana? Share your experiences!