“We had a great time.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Evansville
Williamsport, Indiana
“We had a great time.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Me stayed at this hotel because my wife's Grandmother had fallen ill, and I was looking for a way above average place for her to relax. There is alot of good and a little bit bad about this hotel. I am going to start with the bad and work to the good.

The Bad... We arrived around 7:30pm ish and there was a very nice young lady at the desk. Unfortunately she had to call someone to get permission to give us the standard casino holder rate??? It makes people wonder whats going on when staff have to call and ask permission to do common tasks.

Our room while clean had not been updated in quite a while. For instance, at some point a rock band must have stayed in the room, there were black marks all over the walls from what I can only assume was luggage being thrown. We had to use 3 towels (I will get to the towels in a minute) to soak up the water leaking from the shower and running into the other area's. The shower door seal was far to old and weak to hold the water in. Something that I am sure every room service person must have noticed as they cleaned up the mess.

The handsome desk in our room had RUST on it. Now I am sure that hotel would call it "PATINA" but anyway you slice it, it's rust!

The towels look white and fluffy right until you try to dry off! I have washed clothes in a filthy stream over a rock in a third would country that came out softer than the towels and sheets in our room. The hotel needs to get some soft water and add some fabric softener to every load.

Breakfast, if you are a bunny who only wants cold cereal and berries I am sure you think breakfast is wonderful. There was some kind of scrambled egg looking thing cut into squares that both my wife and I could not each. Crunchy eggs are always wrong!

Lastly, no microwave or refrigerator... This is supposed to be a up scale hotel all about luxury and there is no microwave or fridge??? It is 2014 right, even 49 dollar a night have these things...

Im not sure if this is good or bad, but you have to follow a maze to get from the hotel to the casino, and another maze from the casino to the FOOD! Again the maze is not all bad just not what we were expecting.

THE GOOD!!!!!

The hotel staff are wonderful. We met several of them in the short time we were there and we greeted warmly each time. The staff did everything and more that we asked. The night time VALET guy even asked if we wanted him to find our car in the parking building and bring it over to the hotel. Everyone in the hotel did a great job.

I know considering all the bad I wrote about this is going to seem strange but we really enjoyed and relaxed in our room. Yes the room had ALOT of quirks, but the chair sitting in front of the huge window hugging my wife made up for alot of them.

The bed was clean and after we beat some softness into the sheets was very comfortable. Huge HUGE really BIG pillows were great! The heating controls made the room comfortable in a matter of minutes, we turned it up when we took showers and almost got too hot. Our dresser had a hidden treasure inside that after giggling about we re wrapped and put back inside.

The room is spacious and well laid out. A closet with lights holds the white robe (you cant keep it) and the slippers (you can keep them) but only for one person. Seems like there should be 2 of each for couples.

The bath room has a small tv, coffee, a nice place for her to put on her makeup. The toilet is stashed away behind one of the glass doors and the other door leads to...... THE SHOWER

The shower in our room was used over, and over and over again! Warm rain falling on your head while little jets of hot water massage your back and butt is something you have to experience .... I simply dont have the words ....

At a stressful time such as my wife faced this hotel was perfect and a blast to be in and explore. No, its not brand new and I doubt by todays standards it is the best. That said, there are several places you can just sit, drink a cup of coffee (there was coffee everywhere we seemed to look), talk, watch the people on the cold side of the glass, then talk some more.

Everyone we met and talked to also liked this hotel, all seemed to have the same quirky stories about the rooms but all in all everyone said they wanted to stay again.

I hope this helps someone else.

Jim

Room Tip: The parking garage is a block away from the hotel but the main road and the garage road lead to the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
David S, Manager at Le Merigot at Tropicana, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay. Hopefully, your wife's grandmother is doing better. I have shared your comments with our team as an example of how important they are in a guest's experience. We would love to welcome you back and hopefully, this time you would be able to see the Icemen play. Please feel free to call on me if I can be of assistance. Sincerely, David S. Hotel Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Crothersville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Just to clarify, I stayed in December 2008. Where I entered the date of my travel on this review, I could scroll no further back than Feb '13 for some reason. The bar was awesome with the bottles and lights and a modern feel. I felt like a celebrity :) Staff at the desk lobby very nice and courteous. The room was nice. I liked the decor. The bed was billowy soft and so comfortable. The bathroom was impressive. Rusk toiletries. Starbucks coffee! The shower head was a little too forceful for me. Continental breakfast was abundant, served in the bar area. You couldn't leave unsatisfied for what it offered. A beautiful arrangement of foods. One big complaint and one small one is all I have. The room was a little noisy. I could hear the hall traffic and doors shutting. The big complaint was someone kept opening our door which we had locked and secured on the inside with the swinging bar so thankfully the door would only open so far. So when we would hear the door opening, we would ask yes? can we help you? By the time I could get clothed to get to the door, it was closed again. Happened twice within a short period of time. This was late afternoon. Well after cleaning hours. When we would look out in the hall, seen no one. We mentioned it to the front desk and they just seemed confused about who it could have been and offered really no direction or resolution about it. Overall, I would stay again.

Room Tip: I wish I knew there were river view rooms before booking.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
David S, Manager at Le Merigot at Tropicana, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Thank you for posting your review and sharing your comments. We appreciate the feedback. I will be sharing your comments with our team as a learning tool so that we can provide the level of service our guests expect. We hope to welcome you back in the future.
Cooper City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

This hotel is by the river near the Tropicana casino and several restaurant/night clubs. We were here during the week on business so it was pretty quiet. I understand its very busy on weekends. The rooms are modern and nicely appointed. The showers are excellent with circular jets. Beds were comfortable with nice linens. They have a breakfast buffet that is just OK but it was free. Location is an attraction if you want to gamble on the stationary riverboat or hit the clubs. Convenient location downtown. Price was reasonable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
David S, Manager at Le Merigot at Tropicana, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay. We appreciate the compliments as we strive to be the best hotel in the Tri-State. We are conveniently located downtown and offer several dining and entertainment options. We hope that when your travels bring you to Evansville, we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.
Marion, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

If you have read any other reviews you know the showers are fantastic and they are but the towels are like sand paper. Also, I have stayed here for years and this will be my last time. Highest priced hotel by far in Evansville and you would think that when you leave in the morning they could at least have the rooms cleaned when you return at 3:30. "Manager" is in hallway with two cleaning staff, who have the hallway blocked with their carts, apparently having a disagreement about something. When they see me standing there trying to get to my room all of a sudden everything is fine. Well it wasn't. I told them to just forget about cleaning the room and at a high priced hotel like this you would think you could have the rooms cleaned by 3:30. At that point the "manager" glares at me and curtly informs me that cleaning crew is here until 4:00. Other than the showers and the convenience to the casino there is NOTHING to justify or command the prices that this hotel charges. For the money there are alot newer and nicer hotels on the east side.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your most recent review of LeMerigot. Again, we apologize for the poor service you received. As you mentioned, this was not your first stay with and you know that we are better than this. You are correct; we are the most expensive hotel in the area. We didn't live up to your expectations, or ours, and that's why we adjusted your account when the failure was discovered. We have shared your experience with our housekeeping team as an example of the importance of cleaning rooms in a timely manner. We appreciate you as a guest and hope to have the chance to welcome you back. I hope that you will take the opportunity to reach out to me so that I may assist you with your next visit to Evansville.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

My hometown is Evansville, IN, but I never knew E-town had such a lovely boutique hotel with a gorgeous view of the Ohio River. In October, my family and I visited Evansville to enjoy the Westside's Fall Festival (which is the second largest street festival in the U.S.A.; Mardi Gras in New Orleans has the largest street festival.) My daughter booked Le Merigot for our family of ten. We LOVE this hotel. We could jog the paved paths along the river; sit by the fire pit outside and have a drink in the evening; enjoy a sunset over the Ohio; walk to the tour of the LST anchored just around the bend; ride the shuttle to and from the festival; and have the best shower and sleep ever when we returned to the hotel. The great showers in this hotel were a joke between us b/c the multiple jets/rain shower head and spaciousness of the showers were what we discussed most of the time. We said we'd return to Le Merigot - just to take another shower there. (-:

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the end if you want a river view. We had four rooms (all in different locations) a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
David S, Manager at Le Merigot at Tropicana, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. We appreciate the wonderful comments. We are perfectly located in downtown Evansville, across the street from the river and close to local attractions. We are glad that we were able to enhance your family reunion and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Evansville does not have that many quality hotels and for sure Le Merigot is then the best option. Lobby is good, breakfast is just oke, minor point is the limited number of "normal" tables to sit on.
The rooms are good, comfortable bed, the bathroom is nice. The only disadvantage is that the door does not isolate the sound coming from the hallway.
They offer a shuttle bus service, which is convenient, it takes you from and to the airport. Would be great if they also offer you to bring to the shopping mall as there are no stores in the direct area.
Staff is friendly, from bus driver, to cleaning lady to front desk.
I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
David S, Manager at Le Merigot at Tropicana, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay. We appreciate the feedback. We want to be the best hotel in Evansville. Thank you again for staying with us. We hope to welcome you back in the future.
Queretaro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I spent 7 days total at the hotel, checking in was "cold" no welcome, no smiles but went OK, the rooms offer lots of space, o plus is a really nice rain type shower, room was always clean, the bigger TV set though is not impressive as it is rather small. The hotel is very conveniently located and thought I was not attracted to the casino next to it, there are enough choices for restaurants or bars close by. I used room service once, it was quick and very good. The breakfast buffet is plentiful thought hot options are not, my only breakfast dislike is the fact that you seat to eat in a bar setting (couches, small tables, bar counter). Overall very nice hotel, will definitively consider it for a next stay

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. We appreciate the feedback as it helps us achieve our goal of making LeMerigot the best hotel in Evansville. Thank for your comments and please know that I will be sharing them with our team. We hope to welcome you back in the future.