“Best food in Evansville - unique taste treat” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Owensboro, Kentucky
“Best food in Evansville - unique taste treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I've eaten here for more than 40 years and haven't found a better restaurant in Evansville or in neighboring Henderson, KY or Owensboro, KY. The Arabian offerings are a particular delight. A favorite is the yebra malfoof -- rolled cabbage leaves filled with beef and rice served in a tomato sauce. Italian selections are excellent as well. Service is top notch and friendly. Bar drinks are generous and well-prepared. Recent upgrades have made the interior much more inviting. Don't be put off by the exterior or neighborhood; they are part of the charm. Take cash - no credit cards accepted.

• Visited March 2014

Newburgh, Indiana
“Diverse menu with generally great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We hadn't been to the House of Como in years, but that unique Reservations-Only (on-the-weekend), Cash-Only place that serves up Italian and other Mediterranean specialties was as good or better than we had remembered. Where can you go that still has handwritten bills, and where the service is uniformly attentive and friendly? The house salad with flatbread is fresh and delectable; the dressing light and lively. My lamb chops were tasty, but just a bit on the small side (for the $25/with two sides meal price). The fresh shrimp my wife had was also delicious, but the 6 jumbo shrimp were the entire meal. And I don't recommend the baklava...it was a piece measuring 1"x1"..and while exquisitely tasty, come on....give me a little more for my $3.50!! From the other reviews, I guess I should try steak or an Italian dish next time, if I hope to get my money's worth. But we will come again!!

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Indiana
“Great food--best steaks in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is one of our fav places to go. The food is excellent! My husband loves their steaks. He has eaten at alot of steaks at the big steak restaurants in bigger cities, but still tells me this one is the best.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Don't let the outside fool you.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This place has the best steaks handsdown! It's pricey, but you'll be moaning with every mouthful. Make sure you're hungry if you order the T-bone or New York Strip. You'll be trying to picture the size of the cow it came from. They buy their beef daily and select every cut. The kabob is filet and melts in your mouth. Perfect for someone without a massive appetite. It comes with jasmine rice cooked with almond slivers and seasoned beef. It's served wrapped in their handmade Arabic flatbread. Check or cash only! Now I have to go just from writing this review!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Indiana
“Very nice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

It was my fist time there & my son recommended it because they had been there a few times and really liked it. The staff was friendly. The food was excellent. The service was very good. Our waitress forgot my hummus, but she brought it out when I reminded her....not a problem. I also had the Shrimp A La Como with pasta, which was delish! My husband had the T-bone, which was a whopping two lbs. He said it was great. Both my sons and future daughter-in-law had the Filet Mignon and our daughter-in-law had the Orange Roughy. We all shared a big salad and flat bread, which you put the salad on the flat bread and roll it like a taco. It was tasty. Our grandsons shared the spaghetti and they loved it. We all enjoyed our meals! It's a cozy atmosphere and not too up-ity, but yes, it is pricey. So, for a special occasion, it's nice to splurge a little bit once in awhile. I will definitely be back on a future visit. Oh, and the Bloody Mary;s are really good too! The Bartender said they make their own mix.

• Visited June 2013