“Research fun !” 4 of 5 stars

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Research fun !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I have been doing online research of my ancestors and needed information regarding the more recent, locally focused ancestors. I recalled my Mother telling me of her visits to Willard Library -- so I scheduled a visit there when I and my cousin had free time.

I found a lot of what I was looking for, though a trip to court house records in other counties is next.

Not only does the library have a lot of materials in book form but also in other forms for the researcher to access.

The library is handicapped accessible -- park on the North side of the building, use the down ramp, and inside is an elevator to access the upper floors!

This is a beautiful, historic building that lends the atmosphere of times gone by that seems so appropriate when researching local history of family members who lived in the Southwest Indiana area during the time the library was built!

Love working on my geneology in this library -- and the staff were very helpful!

Here is a wonderful site to learn more about this library, the expansion project, the online services, etc.

Visited September 2013

39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“can you say ghostbusters?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Awesome old library, wonderful grounds for a picnic in the spring. I met my wife there!!!
They have a well known ghost, the grey lady. They have a ghost came you can access to watch for her any time.
Check this place out.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Charles M
Missouri
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“The Best Ghost Tour in E-Ville!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The building is fantastic. The history of the building and family are interesting, the years of ghost stories, the delightful staff, it is an amazing experiences.

Visited October 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great Library”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I love all the beautiful carvings on the staircases...being an architectural woodcarver myself. Really grand old place if you love libraries. It is located in a pretty blah section of Evansville, but worth the trouble to find and see.

Visited September 2012
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“An exquisite house built for Dr. Willard turned genealogical library haunted by the Grey Lady.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Three stories of microfiche, genealogical records and a children's library in the basement. The architecture alone is worth the free admission. The staircases are magnificent and an elevator provided if stairs are daunting.

The Wiilard Library is by all accounts haunted by a Grey Lady. The library hosts a ghost cam on the Internet and paranormal researchers find the orbs and other full body manifestations fascinating. I stayed as a journalist observer over a Halloween night with a group of researchers from St. Louis and did see what appeared to be a shadowy lady while I sat in Dr. Willard's old study.

The staff complain about books flying off shelves and the elevator going up and down unprovoked.

When the Grey Lady is present there is a string scent of Lilac perfume---that I smelled as well.

Aside from the haunting, the records are meticulous, the history amazing and the staff are remarkably helpful and enthusiastic. A must see but not at night and not on Halloween!

Visited December 2012