“ROMANTIC EVENING” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Atlanta, Georgia
“ROMANTIC EVENING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We moved from Evansville four years ago - but with each visit back to Evansville Ma T 888 is our first place to eat... ( they also own Wok-n-Roll on Green River Road - fast food - but heavenly - great price and huge serving). It is a great escape from the outside world.. white linen tablecloths - service is outstanding... We normally will order the Royal Queen with appetizer, soup, salad, entree, and dessert (all for $13 per person). The salad is Cold and Crisp.. appetizer is tasty - we both ordered the egg drop soup (I could make a meal out of this - my favorite) this evening we ordered the Shrimp with vegetables and the Sweet & Sour Chicken with stir fry rice - which we share...Everything is well prepared and presentation is wonderful with the butterfly carrots, etc.. Dessert if you still have room is yummy .. Strawberry cream delight... We miss eating here more frequently - it was always our go to place for Valentine's - Birthdays and Anniversary... it is one of most favorite places to eat...Ms Jane is a delight.

Louisville, Kentucky
“Regular "chinese" food in a nice setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I would go here again. The food was good, but wasn't anything special. However, I agree with other reviewers that the atmosphere made it worth it. Cocktails and wine, but no good beer.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Excellent!!! Nice surprise.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Excellent Chinese cuisine is hard to find. I'm talking about real authentic Chinese that doesn't rely on the "all you can eat" buffet model for its business.

When I first read the outstanding reviews posted here I have to admit I was a bit skeptical but decided to try it anyway. I drove up to China Bistro for an early dinner to find that mine was one of two cars in the parking lot. Oh well, I decided to go in to check out the menu and get a feel for the space. To my delight, I walked into a tastefully decorated and serene restaurant. Soft lighting and nice Chinese music in the background. So I decided to give it a try.

My server, Ching, was delightful and was happy to accommodate my requests for a little modification of my main dish. I started with a bowl of hot and sour soup which was perfect; no overuse of cornstarch as has been my experience in other restaurants. For my entree I ordered a combination chicken, beef, and shrimp with mixed vegetables in a spicy brown sauce. It was perfectly prepared - not oily or loaded with MSG. The proteins were tasty and tender and the vegetables were fresh and crisp.

My only regret was that I was eating alone and would have enjoyed sampling a variety of the wonderful dishes I saw on the menu with other diners.

I was in Evansville on business. If I lived here, China Bistro would be a weekly outing for me.

By the way, if you are wondering about the unique name Ma T 888 China Bistro I was told that Ma and T referred to family owner names and 888 was good luck because the number 8 has no beginning or end (similar to the symbol for eternity). Pretty cool.

“Nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Nice atmosphere with linen tableclothes as other reviews described. I ordered the coconut chicken since I hadn't had it at a Chinese restaurant before & wanted to try something different. The presentation was wonderful with carrots cut in the shape of a butterfly for garnish. The chicken was ok; some of the edge pieces were dry but there was more than enough so I ate the middle section. Would try again, if I come to the area.

Deerfield, Illinois
“Probably the Best Chinese Restaurant in Evansville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I don't usually ask the the person at the hotel desk for a restaurant recommendation, it just hasn't been very rewarding in the past, but this time he answered so strongly I felt like maybe he was on to something. The Question was "Is there a good Chinese restaurant near by", and without skipping a beat he told me "The Best Chinese Restaurant in Evansville" was just down the street. I am from Chicago, so I am thinking, "He said in Evansville" so not to get my exceptions too high.
Hey, I don't care where it is this was an excellent meal and the restaurant itself is beautiful overall a very nice dining experience. The menu has a good selection of popular items, but not one of those on and on menus. Clearly they make everything to order and are focused on quality preparation.
Check it out, you won't be disappointed no matter where you are from.

• Visited May 2014