“Decent place” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gateway Inn & Suites

You added Gateway Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Gateway Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   324 Rusher Creek Rd, Evansville, IN 47725-7802 (Formerly Best WEstern)   |
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Evansville
Houston, Tx
“Decent place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This hotel for a non-smoker is probably above average, but, until smoking is against the law, a non-smoking hotel will never get a great review from me. This hotel is OK...nothing special. The room was OK, the bed was comfortable, the wifiwas OK, the breakfast was OK. It was a good place for an overnight stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Middlebury, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

The rooms are not clean. Trash and dirt next to the bed. There is grease on one of the pillows. Mildew in the toilet. A thick layer of dust on the lamps. All around the window is cracked and looks to be in shambles plus multiple tears in the window screen. Thank goodness it's only one night and even this just feels gross.

• Stayed July 2014
Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel in years past and found it very satisfactory. However, this year we were very disappointed. The room we were given had such poor lighting overall. In addition to the poor lighting, the lights between the beds (bed lamps) did not work at all. After notifiying the front desk we were told they were aware of this, the lighting was outdated and had been ordered but had not arrived. In addition to that, the air conditioner did not work consistently. The shower had a dispenser on the shower wall with shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel in it. However, the conditioner was empty. In addition, only one of the two room keys would open the door. My husband went down to the front desk to get another key, and was given 2 new ones. However, only one of them worked as well. When he called the front desk he was told he'd have to talk to the manager, Rita, as he requested a different room but was told none were available. He asked for a discount or refund as the room was unsatisfactory, but was told Rita had to make that decision and she was out until the next morning! The next day, he went to the front desk and again ran through our complaints with Rita. We had prepaid for 2 nights. Rita assured him we would get a different room for that night if we would wait but 20 minutes to make sure one was prepared and she would personally check it out. She did do that and brought new keys to us so we could transfer our belongings to the new room. It was only 2 doors down. This room was satisfactory, however the lighting was still poor (dim) but everything was working in the room. A comment on the linens...I think new ones need to be purchased as the sheets barely fit on the beds...the corners did not cover the corners but were on top of the mattress. Thus there were wrinkles in the sheets...an uncomfortable situation in itself. I don't think that room should have been rented out if it was not fully operational and they were aware of that fact. My husband was told by the person at the desk that he was putting a "block..do not rent" on that room. However, we saw someone else going into that room the next day! On the plus side, the rooms were clean, the manager was apologetic and pleasant. However, we did not get a refund, or even partial refund for the previous night. The pool and pool area was clean and the water comfortably warm. Not a pleasant experience overall. Breakfast was average, however the dining room area was clean. We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Fayetteville, Arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I reserved two rooms weeks in advance for my brother in law and his in-laws to stay at the Best Western - after a trip to Holiday World. I put both reservations on my corporate credit card to hold them. Upon checkin - the front desk charged one card - as well as my corporate card. Not only did they charge my card - they charged it for two nights. When I saw the statement, I called and spoke with Cody - the front desk manager - who was less than helpful. First thing he said was 'well they were in the room until well after noon.' Which is actually false - I know for a fact they were on the road a little after 10 am. I ended up getting the charges reversed - but I had to wait several days. My brother in law said the property was 'okay' - and not something he would search out again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Evansville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I made reservations a week in advance, as I was taking my family of 5 to Holiday World. After a long day in the sun we check in to find out they gave our room to someone else. Now not enough beds for everyone. So they gave us a roll away bed.
Then when we got into our room at 11 pm, it was 90+ degrees inside. They had not turned the AC on prior. It took 2 hours on max AC to get the room cooled down enough to sleep which was now 1 AM.
They did adjust my rate, but I would have rather had a good nights sleep.

• Stayed July 2014
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

My husband and I went searching for a motel on day 16 of our cross country motorcycle trip and this one sounded good to us for two reasons, it had a bar and a pool, this according to the information on Trip Advisor. My husband calls from a rest area 30 miles away to see if a room was available. It was! What a joke. We arrive only to find out from Cody that the bar was not open because "he was the only person that ran the bar and he was covering for another person, so no bar." We said ok since we were too tired to look for another room at another motel. We paid for the room and my husband made a comment about getting in the pool since he couldn't get a drink at the bar. WRONG!!! Cody informed him (in a nasty way I might add) that the pool was also closed and it wouldn't open back up till the next week. My husband told Mr. Cody that it would've been nice if he had told us that the bar AND the pool were closed when we made the reservation. Cody's response.... Well, you can go across the street to the Comfort Inn, they have a pool. So, I angrily walked across the street to find out about a room. I booked a room with a hot tub in it at the Comfort Inn AND saved $20. I would love for the local owner of this Best Western to contact me. We are platinum members with this chain and Harley Rewards members too. This is the worse costumer service at this chain that we have ever experienced! We also found out that Cody is the manager. Another joke! We have notified customer service at Best Western and a case number has been assigned. We may not ever use this chain again... Thanks Cody, job well done!

Stayed July 2014
Stafford, VA, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

This hotel was a nice stay for the money. The room was clean. The breakfast was typical free hotel fare, but was hot and good. Pet friendly. The location was a bit industrial, but the inside was clean. Exterior landscaping would have helped appearance. Inside the room was clean and fresh. Hotel has a guest bar, but there was no bartender during my stay...bummer. Small items of note...toilet worked but bowl was chipped. luggage cart wheel was broken, upstairs noise was somewhat noticeable as people walked across floor. Front desk staff was helpful. Nice stay for the money. Would recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Been to Gateway Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!