“It was okay” 3 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #30 of 35 Hotels in Evansville
“It was okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

This place definitely needs to be updated, but overall it wasn't too bad. We came here after an awful first stop at the Motel 6. We told the front desk person, I think his name was John, that we had a bad experience and just wanted a clean place to sleep. He offered to let my husband check out the room first, but we were so tired that we didn't. The room was clean except for the carpet...it really looked like it needed to be replaced. I don't know if they have specific "pet rooms", but we were traveling with two dogs and the room we stayed in had obviously had a dog in it before. The door was scratched up and the bathroom door was scratched up from a dog that had clearly been left alone for too long and the hotel just painted over the damaged trim instead of replacing it. I thought that was a little bit of a cheap fix, but was relieved that it was painted over so they would know that my dogs didn't do the damage. The beds were comfortable and there was a lot of space in the room.
There was an awkward moment when my husband was loading our things in the car where the housekeepers were walking by and noticed that we had dogs in our room. My husband had left the curtains open so he could see the dogs and the dogs were barking at the women because they were peering into our room through the window and talking to the dogs. I understand that this was just them being friendly but I was really put off by it. They should reserve that friendliness for when guests and dogs are outside of the room.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Traveling on business. Keeping expenses to a minimum. This time I went too cheap. This is a ntired motel in need of razing and replacement. Desk clerk was friendly and helpful in finding a restaurant ( none nearby- had to go about 5 miles through a very industrial part of town. The Room was adequate in size but amenities were non existent. Bed was uncomfortable. There was almost no water pressure at the sink ( but shower was ok). There was a TV and a fridge that I did not use. The fridge was unplugged and looked dirty. No clothes hangers or laundry bag provided. No in room coffee maker. No breakfast provided. There was coffee in the lobby but it tasted so bad I had one sip and dumped it. DO NOT stay here unless it is the only room left in town.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Three of us (my elderly patents and I) stopped for the night to break up a two day drive. I wanted to use my hotel rewards points for a free room. I could not find a place with two queen beds to fit all of us in a single room, so I booked two separate rooms at this Econolodge instead, which used about the same amount of points. Check-in was fast and the guy at the desk went out of his way to help with a request. The rest of the stay was not good. I think they were remodeling other rooms, since there was a pile of lumber outside. A bunch of construction workers must have been staying here. The lot was half filled with pickups and contractor vehicles, and people were loitering around / smoking outside. I didn't see a grill, but the outside smelled of awesome BBQ. My room had a fresh coat of paint and the carpet wasn't bad, but everything was really worn. The heater made such an awful smell that I turned it off (coming from a guy that has worked in rendering plants). Linens were clean and the mattress was ok. There were plenty of channels on the flatscreen TV, which I kept on for "white noise" to keep from being startled awake. Noise through the ceiling is ridiculous. Conversations upstairs at normal volume almost seemed like they're in the same room, and anyone walking around was very loud. I like being able to park right outside the room, but there was too much going on at night. Someone was always driving up or leaving. In the middle of the night, some guy pounded on the door of another room to get in and shook the whole place. Twice. There isn't any real security at a drive up motel, and by this time I worried about leaving my parents alone. At first light, I didn't care about the free breakfast, and we just left. My parents did not have any problems with their room, but they were on the ground floor close to the office. I was at the other end.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first. The pictures online DO NOT look like the room I had.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Car broke down and needed a place last minute. Nice accommodations. Rooms have been recently renovated with a nice television and refrigerator. Very clean. Helpful and friendly staff. Robert at the front desk was especially accommodating.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Fortville, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Beds were hard and noisy, shower curtain was filthy, bathroom ceiling was falling apart, the carpets were okay. It didn't smell very good either. I also didn't get a hot shower because the water heater was broker. After approaching the staff I was told to speak with a manager and got the run around.

• Stayed April 2014
arpit t, General Manager at Econo Lodge Evansville, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
thanks you for you review. i understand your problem with your stay. you should have come back right away with your problem with the room so we could have moved you to a different room. or have refunded your money back. it had never rain this hard in past 50 years. and city sewer was backing up in the whole city and it was flooded everywhere. so it was mother nature. and we can not do anything about it. but we did try to give you partial refund but u did not wanted it. and i m sorry we can not give you full refund because u did not have any problem other then hot water. if you had then you should have done what told you in the first of response. because if you are unhappy with the room then you should come get different room or get your money back. we don't want your stay where you cant feel comfortable.
thanks
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I stayed in this hotel because my first choice was booked full for a convention. It was a little hard to find- had to make a u turn. But over all it was a very pleasant stay. The room was spacious and clean. A little outdated and could use some renovations, but it smelled nice and the bed was comfortable. The only problem I had was some late night door slamming. The breakfast is pretty good. Waffle maker and plenty of additional options. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
arpit t, General Manager at Econo Lodge Evansville, responded to this review, April 1, 2014

Arpit Trivedi
Evansville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Room smelled like smoke but it was still very clean, breakfast was ok and was included with the stay. Very quiet even though there were other people around. Pool looked good too but it was closed since it is still early March.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Arpit Trivedi

Been to Econo Lodge Evansville? Share your experiences!