“Just off the freeway, but difficult to find - far from luxury accomodations” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Inn & Suites

You added BEST WESTERN Inn & Suites to your Saves list
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3326 Cassopolis Street, Elkhart, IN 46514   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Elkhart
Verona, WI
“Just off the freeway, but difficult to find - far from luxury accomodations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Summary: This hotel is set back from the main road, behind a gas station. You have to watch carefully for the hotel sign. Tight parking lot (we had a trailer, had to double park, and pull through the grass to get out in the morning). Rooms were OK, still had a smoking odor but not overly strong, higher noise than expected, some signs of aging of facility. Breakfast was fine.

The Good: The hotel is just off the freeway (once you find it). Rate (through Hotwire) was good in comparison to other hotels. Room was clean and spacious enough. Staff was very nice. Breakfast was good, not great, but what we expect from a free breakfast at a hotel.

The Bad: The parking situation was less than optimal. We pulled in about 10:30pm on a Friday and we had to double park since we had a trailer. Had to pull through the grass to a gravel road to get through as there was no way to turn around. The room we were given, even though it was non-smoking, had a smoking odor, not strong, but it was still there. Didn't really affect us though. There are some signs of age, with some cracks appearing in the bathroom, a drippy faucet handle, etc. Nothing huge was wrong, but these are signs that maintenance may be lacking. The breakfast area is not overly large and was quite crowded. Luckily found a table to eat with the family.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
bestwesterngm2, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing Best Western for your recent stay in Elkhart,IN. We have read your comments about the hotel and we greatly appreciate that you took the time to write them, as our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority.

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. It is very important for us that our guests’ experiences are shared.

The City Of Elkhart is making changes in our area to make it more pedestrian frindly and easier access to the area hotels. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your collaboration and we hope to see you again soon at Best Western Inn & Suites, Elkhart,In.

Elkhart,IN 46514

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

After showing up to the hotel we see about 100 mattresses outside, which usually means bed bugs. After we searched for bed bugs, nothing. Still doesn't mean theyre not there. Free breakfast was terrible and ran out of coffee at 930. For the hotel being what it is it's definitely not worth the rate. Not to mention there bedding is TERRIBLE. It's basically sheets so if it's winter prepare to be cold.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to complete our comment card following your visit to the Elkhart Best Western Inn & Suites in Indiana.
I am disappointed we failed to handle all of your requirements in a satisfactory manner. Your observations have aided us in locating areas of our service needing improvement. One of the requirements of Best western was to replace our entire mattresses in all rooms. All mattresses were placed outside for pick up by the Salvation Army. Also breakfast is from 5am to 9 am so for the inconvenience. Since your visit improvements have been made including new bedding, Hot breakfast and updated indoor pool, also we have went to completely non-smoking. We appreciate your business and would like you to visit us again. I’d like to offer you a 10% discount off Rack Rate and a free upgrade. To receive your discount please call the hotel directly at 574-262-8761 we will be more than happy to accommodate you. Again, I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectation.
Please know that your comments have been reviewed in detail with our housekeeping department and steps have been taken to ensure these faults are solved.
We appreciate your patronage and hope you will stay with us the next time you are in Elkhart, Indiana.
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I don't know where to start this review, but will let everyone know how frustrating of a stay we just encountered at this hotel. First off I booked the room on hotwire (I guess my fault) based on the fact that it was a 3 star room (1 star on priceline). Our trip started out by pulling in a parking lot that had NO (that's ZERO) parking spots available, we had to circle around for 5 minutes before somebody left so that we coul get a spot. Not sure where they parked when they got back. We then went in and got our room, which we found out was a SMOKING room. We did not know this until we got to the room. We asked for a new room and were told that every room was full and that's the room we would have. The smoke was unbearable, so bad that we left our suitcase and clean clothes in the car so they would not smell. The beds were paper thin, covered by blankets that had some sort of disgusting white stains/spots on them. The shower curtain was stained, the shower itself had some sort of mold/mildew growth. We didn't even shower in the morning, as there was no point. We stunk like cigarrette smoke for the rest of our car ride.
I've stayed at rooms before with bugs, that were just flat out dirty rooms and have felt more comfortable. I would and will never stay here again, as well will never use hotwire to book, if this room got a 3 star rating.

Room Tip: Room at another hotel would most likely be best.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
I am disappointed we failed to handle all of your requirements in a satisfactory manner. Your observations have aided us in locating areas of our service needing improvement. At the time your reservation was made through hot wire it was for a smoking room. It was a busy time for us and we did not have any non-smoking rooms available if there would have been we would have been more than happy to put you in one. Since your visit improvements have been made including new bedding, Hot breakfast and updated indoor pool, also we have went to completely non-smoking. We appreciate your business and would like you to visit us again. I’d like to offer you a 15% discount off Rack Rate and a free upgrade. To receive your discount please call the hotel directly at 574-262-8761 we will be more than happy to accommodate you. Again, I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectation.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

First trip to Indiana for my nephew's wedding in Middlebury. The Best Western in Elkhart should be on everyone's stay list who is traveling to the area. The room was clean and the "free" breakfast was excellent.

Room Tip: No worries about which room you choose-there is no noise factor.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 10, 2012

Alpharetta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We have good deal from expedia, good location ( close to Interstate, Restaurant ), the hotel have free continental breakfast but I felt the breakfast in full breakfast style. Interior room is old style but clean.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
bestwesterngm2, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 2, 2012

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Was traveling on vacation, driving through Elkhart and was looking for a nice cheap place to stay. This place was great, had tons of amenities. The price was very resonable, and the staff was very friendly. They had a hot breakfast, indoor pool, and the rooms were really clean. We also stayed on our way back home and it was great service again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Clarkston, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

It all began by my having to pay $140 (on Hotline, no less) on a fall Saturday night because it was a Notre Dame football weekend (the rate usually hovers around $70). I was told by the young girls at the front desk that jacking up the price on a crappy hotel by 100% is standard procedure. Even at the $70 rate, I would not stay here again, but adding insult to injury - I was asked to stay in a smoking room because that's all they had. Now in 2011 the fact that some hotels (and they are not alone) still have a full floor of smoking rooms baffles me. I can't even come close to cigarette smoking without getting headaches and I was not going to spend $140 to get one. She informed me that's the only room availability they had - something I viewed as preposterous as at 7 P.M. there were about three cars in the parking lot. So I told her I wanted to cancel because I couldn't stay in a smoking room. The desk clerk gave me a key and told me to check it out to see if it "was too bad for me to stay in." I did. It was awful.

When I told her I had to cancel she told me that it would be $70 to do that. I told her that wasn't happening and I persisted and she SUDDENLY REMEMBERED a room at the end of the smoking hall that they never rent and because of this, "shouldn't have too much smoke." When we went there to check it out, the door read "NON SMOKING." And it was. Why she didn't offer this to begin with, is beyond me.

Once in the room, it was fine but soon found out the response to any problem for this girl was "thanks for letting us know." No means of fixing anything, but a polite "thanks." The phone in my room didn't work, so I had to call on my cell to ask about the internet which wasn't working "Thanks for letting us know, but try one of the neighboring hotel wireless signals, that should work." Really? And the phone not working? "Thanks for letting us know." I later realized the clock wasn't working either, but at this time had given up.

I went down stairs later to make a food run with my son and while I was passing by the desk, a man came out of the pool and told the front desk clerk "that room is freezing and so is the water." Her response? You guessed it. "Thanks for letting us know." Unbelievable.

Needless to say we skipped the "free" breakfast the next morning and headed out of there as soon as we could. In fairness, the rooms are okay and fairly clean but the place is located behind a gas station and not in a very good area at all. The hotel is dark, cold and drabby. There are much better options in Elkhart. I won't be using Hotwire again to find them.

Be warned.

Room Tip: Make sure when you book that you're not getting a smoking room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
bestwesterngm2, Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 12, 2012
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 1-574-262-8761.

BEST WESTERN Inn & Suites

Been to BEST WESTERN Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!