“Perfect as always” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Elkhart
Columbus, GA
“Perfect as always”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

We only stay at Candlewoods when traveling with our dogs, and this is one of the best. We stay here every time we visit my husband's family in Elkhart/Goshen, and we always know we'll get a great, comfy and convenient room. Updated rooms, and so clean that it feels almost like home. This is a very, very well-managed Candlewood!

This time we're here for Christmas, and my husband caught a bad flu from his relatives, so we have ended up spending a lot more time at the hotel than anticipated. The niceness of this hotel has made a bad experience much less unpleasant. The stove makes it easy to cook soup, and the bed is super comfy. The huge selection of TV channels gives us something to do. The staff is very friendly and professional! Great place.

Room Tip: If you travel with pets, pick the first floor for easy access to dog walking area.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Candlewood-Elkhart, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Elkhart, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
We are so glad that you consider us like home!

Thank you for such a great review and we look forward to seeing you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

I was totally pleased with every aspect of our 4 day stay. Clean, comfy, roomy, friendly, large exercise room and my favorite, free laundry! Our dogs were treated with respect and they had a lovely dog walk area. We enjoyed grilling steaks on the gas grill under the gazebo. We had a lovely time considering we were here due to a stressful stituation.

• Stayed September 2012
Candlewood-Elkhart, Manager at Candlewood Suites Elkhart, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

On a 100 degree day, there is nothing more welcoming than entering a room whose air conditioner was not turned on. The mass amount of humidity in the room took a while to leave. More disturbing was the awful mildew smell that came from each towel in the bathroom (perhaps a result of the AC not running?). I had to clean myself with paper towels. The sheets were also very heavy on the starch... first time I can recall being unable to sleep on Candlewood sheets.

I was equally annoyed that my only online request was ignored... a room on the top floor. I know that many of the newer Candlewoods have awful sound proofing, and here too, every single foot step is felt on the 2nd floor. The room actually vibrates. I checked in right away at 3pm and the check in girl did not even bother to look citing "We're sold out." Not true either, as rooms were still available online.

On a positive, I liked having the exhaust fan in the kitchen for a little white noise. Other than that, just as I was never even welcomed as a Priority Club platinum member, I really don't think I will acknowledge this property again.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor, though you will probably be ignored too
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Elkhart, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear LEGGROOM,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us! We appreciate you being a loyal Platinum Priority Club member and are honored that you chose our hotel. I am pleased you liked the exhaust fan in the kitchen. We are hospitality professionals who are committed to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. However, it is disappointing to know you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regrettable you were not satisfied with the room accommodations, condition of the amenities and service you received from our staff. I assure you that the valuable comments you've shared will be used to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer. Again, my apologies for any inconvenience pr discomfort.

We appreciate your loyalty and we hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHG Care
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Our stay was to be for 2-3 nights and ended up being 7 while our coach was being painted etc. The entire staff were friendly and tried to accomodate us in anyway they could. Suites are also nice and clean and accomodated our three dogs and kitty in everyway. I would not hesitate to recommend for folks to stay here or come back here again. Keep up the great service Mr. Palan!

Room Tip: First floor worked out great with easy access to rear for walking our dogs.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
North Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

To be fair, I did Priceline this room, so you get what you pay for. For some reason, I ended up getting booked into a smoking room--When I showed up at 11PM, I was greeted by a very rude receptionist (if you don't like your job you shouldn't be in the customer service industry) and told that it was impossible to change my reservation to non-smoking. I explained that I had three kids and that a smoking room was not really going to work out well. She said I had to call Priceline so that they could call her and change the room. I asked her to call a manager (which she did) and then they tried to charge me an extra $15 to switch rooms. After a long protest, they finally just switched me over and about an hour after arriving I was sitting in my room.

They finally put me into a room that was not all that clean--the whole place a weird smell of musty linens and curry. Overall, I would rate this in the top 5 worst hotels I have ever stayed in.

Customer Service: F
Cleanliness: D+
Smell: F
Overall Appearance: C- (A bit dingy)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Elkhart, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear ChrisUSMC,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you had with your room accommodation and the unacceptable service you received from our staff. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

I appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Laguna, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

This is my alternative to the Hilton Garden Inn, The Hilton is $13.00 more per night but also nicer and includes breakfast, has a gym, indoor pool and Jacuzzi.

Very often I fly without some toiletries because of TSA issues. This place drives me crazy when you ask for toothpaste and they give you this thin foil package and ask for $0.25 . Another hotel would give you a razor , shave cream toothbrush and tooth paste.

The employees are very nice and helpful and as I said it is a good value.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Flint, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

I travel about 12 weeks a year for work, staying at several different hotel chains, and was shocked to discover they do not provide daily housekeeping services (this is a first for me). The décor and furnishing are nice (full size refrigerator, dishwasher, etc.) but the room seemed small and crowded compared to other extended stay hotels I’ve stayed in. The “desk” chair is in the kitchen area and there is no place to put your suitcase (also no luggage rack). I wanted to stay at an IHG brand hotel to get Priority Club points, but for about the same price, I would have prefered to stay at the Holiday Inn Express (free breakfast and pool) next door instead of the "suite" (standard size room crammed with a kitchentte, no breakfast, no pool, and no housekeeping).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
We really appreciate your feedback!

Candlewood Suites is considered an extended stay hotel in which we provide housekeeping services every 7 days for our long term guests. This is not only in an effort to conserve energy but, also limits guest disturbances during their stay. If a guest requests extra cleaning we are more than happy to provide additional services for a daily fee.

Thank you again for your important feedback!

Been to Candlewood Suites Elkhart? Share your experiences!