“Nice place to stay short or extended - best staff ever encountered!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Candlewood Suites Elkhart

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Elkhart
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Nice place to stay short or extended - best staff ever encountered!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Our stay was to be for 2-3 nights and ended up being 7 while our coach was being painted etc. The entire staff were friendly and tried to accomodate us in anyway they could. Suites are also nice and clean and accomodated our three dogs and kitty in everyway. I would not hesitate to recommend for folks to stay here or come back here again. Keep up the great service Mr. Palan!

Room Tip: First floor worked out great with easy access to rear for walking our dogs.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Candlewood-Elkhart, Manager at Candlewood Suites Elkhart, responded to this review, April 11, 2013

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Great Lakes, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

To be fair, I did Priceline this room, so you get what you pay for. For some reason, I ended up getting booked into a smoking room--When I showed up at 11PM, I was greeted by a very rude receptionist (if you don't like your job you shouldn't be in the customer service industry) and told that it was impossible to change my reservation to non-smoking. I explained that I had three kids and that a smoking room was not really going to work out well. She said I had to call Priceline so that they could call her and change the room. I asked her to call a manager (which she did) and then they tried to charge me an extra $15 to switch rooms. After a long protest, they finally just switched me over and about an hour after arriving I was sitting in my room.

They finally put me into a room that was not all that clean--the whole place a weird smell of musty linens and curry. Overall, I would rate this in the top 5 worst hotels I have ever stayed in.

Customer Service: F
Cleanliness: D+
Smell: F
Overall Appearance: C- (A bit dingy)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Elkhart, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear ChrisUSMC,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you had with your room accommodation and the unacceptable service you received from our staff. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

I appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Laguna, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

This is my alternative to the Hilton Garden Inn, The Hilton is $13.00 more per night but also nicer and includes breakfast, has a gym, indoor pool and Jacuzzi.

Very often I fly without some toiletries because of TSA issues. This place drives me crazy when you ask for toothpaste and they give you this thin foil package and ask for $0.25 . Another hotel would give you a razor , shave cream toothbrush and tooth paste.

The employees are very nice and helpful and as I said it is a good value.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Flint, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

I travel about 12 weeks a year for work, staying at several different hotel chains, and was shocked to discover they do not provide daily housekeeping services (this is a first for me). The décor and furnishing are nice (full size refrigerator, dishwasher, etc.) but the room seemed small and crowded compared to other extended stay hotels I’ve stayed in. The “desk” chair is in the kitchen area and there is no place to put your suitcase (also no luggage rack). I wanted to stay at an IHG brand hotel to get Priority Club points, but for about the same price, I would have prefered to stay at the Holiday Inn Express (free breakfast and pool) next door instead of the "suite" (standard size room crammed with a kitchentte, no breakfast, no pool, and no housekeeping).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
We really appreciate your feedback!

Candlewood Suites is considered an extended stay hotel in which we provide housekeeping services every 7 days for our long term guests. This is not only in an effort to conserve energy but, also limits guest disturbances during their stay. If a guest requests extra cleaning we are more than happy to provide additional services for a daily fee.

Thank you again for your important feedback!
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We travel through Elkhart a few times a year. We usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express next door, but it's gotten pricey. I thought I'd try Candlewood Suites because it was cheaper but would still get me Priority Club points. I'm glad I did. It was a good experience -- nice big room. I'd stay there again -- it was a good value. I don't think there was a pool but it didn't matter in this instance.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

While traveling out of state to attend a funeral - we made the MISTAKE of booking rooms on a Notre Dame game weekend. We had stayed at the hotel previously and decided to return. We were traveling with elderly parents - who due to health reasons - with a doctor's note stating no travel allowed - could not join us. So I called as soon as I knew they would not be traveling with us and was told by the desk clerk - she would do what she could. Well it took almost 2 weeks after the trip for the GREEDY MANAGEMENT TEAM to respond - and it was only AFTER contacting PriorityClub.com - and the answer was - "sorry - game weekends are non refundable". If they were going to live by this rule, they should have just said so - we could have seen if other family members needed a room or something. However, being led to believe that they cared and that they might refund the $$ - we didn't do so.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
I am sorry that you experienced a slow response to your inquiry for special considerations. I have made the management aware of this extend our deepest apologies for not responding to your concerns as quickly as possible.
Somerset, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2006

I usually don't expect much from your run-of-the-mill extended stay hotels... but Candlewood Suites (at least in Elkhart) is not to be missed. We drove from NJ through PA/OH and into Indiana for a wedding in Michigan (which is just down the street from Elkhart), and found Candlewood Suites to be a home away from home. It's a new property so everything is clean and new. The foyer area had great wood floors, with large closet, and the kitchenette had its own normal-sized refrigerator/freezer (not one of those mini-do's), with a sink, dishwasher, microwave, and stove top. Rooms have flat-screen tube TV's with DVD and VCR players -- and the front desk rents out movies for free. The room also had a leather recliner and working desk/chairs and free internet access. Our infant was very happy to be crawling around the space, and I had no second thoughts about the cleanliness of the place. Didn't see the pool, if there was one, but the gym is decent-sized and the laundry facility is conveniently located adjacent to the gym. There is no breakfast provided, but grocery store Martin's is a short walk away and has everything you'd need. There are also plenty of restaurants within a 1 mile radius (highly recommend Texas Roadhouse and their BBQ ribs!!!)

So, the next time you find yourself in Elkhart (I can't imagine why... unless for visiting corn fields or to watch Notre Dame play), do yourself and your family a favor and book a stay at Candlewood.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you we really appreciate your review

Been to Candlewood Suites Elkhart? Share your experiences!