“Just Average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 23 hotels in Elkhart
Joliet, Illinois
“Just Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel is located right off the toll road and easy to get to. There are many hotels along this areas and we found the hotel to be quite empty. We made our reservations weeks in advance and our specific room requirments were met along with the price quoted us. We only stayed one night. The room was a very good size and was very clean, but we were disapointed with the morning breakfast. In fact all we had was coffee and orange juice. We ate at a Restaurant that was just down the street. The only other complained that we had was that the manager on duty was not overly friendly. We did not use the pool or the exercise machines.

Room Tip: We asked for the 3rd floor away from the elevator and any machines. This room was quiet.
Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

To Begin my issues started a couple day before we arrived. I checked my online reservation just to make sure I had the correct dates, in which I noticed we had missed our first date, so I added the date and it said Monday rate is $71 ok no biggie, go to finish the reservation and it changed all my dates to $71 instead of the original $66, so I was upset on that. (Iam in the same business where rates change per day, but I keep a customers rate the same if its a previous reservation, but if they add on its what ever the going rate for that day is, is what is charged for that day)
So I emailed choice hotels.

Upon check in, I had to be buzzed into the hotel? Really a Comfort Suites? Never seen that before. It was still early night, but ok whatever. Explained to the front desk lady what happened with our reservation, and she said sorry, and really I knew that was all she could do. Did make a note saying that choice sets the rates. So we checked in did what we needed.

The next day, Choice emails and says they dont control what the hotel does, I need to handle it at hotel level. Well hotel said, Choice Handles it, so I email choice back and pretty much get a nothing we can do good luck. (Mind you we stay at choice hotels about 30 times a year, for our business which runs march to October) so Im getting more and more upset with Choice Hotels. We did what we needed to do in Elkhart, so back to the hotel to jump in the pool and hot tub. No pool towels, which is no biggie we asked for some. But the hot tub was nasty, had hair in it, ants walking all around the edge, Come on.

We usually stay at the Comfort Suites in South Bend but chose this one because it is central to what we were doing. Over all hotel was ok.

Cons:
Elevator shook alot, elevator certificate expired in 08
Room was serviced once (by our choice) but when they did only made one bed, of the two
Turned the fridge off (we had food in it)
Pool area as dirty, ants and bugs roaming around
Notes posted everywhere like you are a little kid on what you can and cannot do
Water pressure is not good. and Off White Towels? I felt dirty lol
Charged extra then what my reservation said

Pros
Ruth the front desk manager was AWESOME!!!!
Breakfast was good
WI-FI worked
It served its purpose

The hotel is in need of a remodel soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Wilmington, De
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Made last minute reservation to catch some sleep on the drive home Thanksgiving weekend. Checked in late, the staff was friendly, the room large and clean. It was reasonably priced, and had your typical complementary breakfast. It was all they said it was to be. Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012
Frederick
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel in the past but on a recent trip the night clerk was extremely rude, lacking in basic customer service skills. The parking lot was strewn with trash and empty bottles. On my return trip, I had a very pleasant stay at another hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tafton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My wife & I had the pleasure of staying at this excellent hotel on July 22nd and August 5th, 2012 on our round trip to Long Island,NY from Iowa.
We couldn't think of any ammenity lacking lacking at our stay from a king size bed to a complementary hot breakfast that included eggs, sausage and waffles.
A coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator and iron with board were included in the room.
As I had a choice privileges card and booked in advance, total cost including tax was $79.97 per stay.
We are traveling by car to Pennsylvannia shortly and have pre-booked at this location for the round trip.

Room Tip: Recommend the top floor to avoid heavy footed children above; although we have not had a bad experi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Carmel, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

We stayed here for four nights, so we became familiar with the hotel. We were having a family event in town and arranged, in advance, a family rate. They were willing to work with us, which was important.
The most important thing in a hotel, to me, is cleanliness. I look, I check it out and this one was clean. The bedding was clean, the bathroom was clean, the back of the TV was dusted. The bed was very comfortable, the pillows were like postage stamps...like half a pillow, but there were four of them and it turned out that half was just fine.
The space was good, but a little odd with an angled shelf in the "living room". We had adequate seating for six...a couch, desk chair, occasional chair and an ottoman that doubled as a coffee table or seating for two. There was a functioning microwave and dorm size refrigerator. There was also good desk space and free internet.
The breakfast was excellent including blueberry or plain waffles made in the shape of the state of Texas. The kids loved them and so did the adults. It was well stocked and refilled until the last minute of being open.
There is an inside pool and a workout room with machines as well as free weights. There is also a "business" room with a computer and printer so that we could print out our boarding passes before heading back to the airport. The parking lot was large with plentiful space behind the hotel.
The front desk was well staffed with friendly workers and the hotel attendants were also friendly and helpful...making up the room early one day when we knew that we needed to change for an event.
The ONLY problem I had was that the walls seemed paper thin and the first night the party seemed to be next door. Also, Jack the giant had the room above us and tromped back and forth for an hour and twenty minutes one night. However, I just clicked on the fan so that it ran full time and that seemed to drown out most noise.
The location is great, near all kinds of food, with Fuddruckers in the front parking lot and everything else within easy distance. I would stay here again any time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed 2 nights. Our room was totally quiet, not even shower noise from adjoining rooms. We had a king room, which was very nice with the separate sitting area with hideabed sofa and coffee table. The only negatives was the room had an odor about it when we first walked in that reminded me of clothes that have been left too long in the washer. The room looked clean, though. The hot breakfast leaves a lot to be desired. The breakfast is served until 9:30 a.m. The first morning we were down before 9:00, but the waffle mix was empty. I told the girl not to bother making some up just for me, so went for the eggs and bacon. There was one dried up microwave egg and one piece of bacon. Other people arrived after us, so she hurried and threw more eggs and bacon in the microwave. The next morning we made a point of getting down earlier. Breakfast was eggs that were scrambled patties, and sausage patties, both straight from the microwave. I had a blueberry waffle that could have used a little more cooking time. We didn't use the pool,, but it looked very nice.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Suites North? Share your experiences!