“I'll Be Back! (Seven Star Review)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Horseshoe Southern Indiana

You added Horseshoe Southern Indiana to your Saves list
Horseshoe Southern Indiana
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11999 Casino Center Drive SE, Elizabeth, IN 47117 (Formerly Caesars Indiana Casino Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elizabeth
GreenLeadersBronze level
South Texas
“I'll Be Back! (Seven Star Review)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

I’m rating Caesars Indiana 5, a rating I had previously reserved for Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. The staff at Caesars Indiana makes up for being less opulent than big brother in Vegas with hometown warmth
and friendliness.

My wife and I visited Caesars Indiana for the first time May 18 – 20,
2007. A couple of days prior to departing I received an email from Tom Heffron, their Player Development Manager. It seemed like a standard casino host email saying, “I want to ensure that arrangements are made properly for your visit and offer any services you may be accustomed to.” I responded that our reservations seemed to be in order and asked if he had any suggestions for our trip. Mr. Heffron responded that he had a suite at Churchill Downs on Saturday and a golf tournament available on Sunday. I said we would be interested in going to Churchill Downs if he had room for a party of 4.

Hotel:
The lady at the check-in desk was friendly and professional. When I asked about the tickets/passes to Churchill, she called Tom and he said that he would have a limo waiting for us at 1:00 on Saturday. In
addition to that surprise, I was pleasantly surprised to find that we had been upgraded to a suite without asking for one. We met with a former employee and her husband on the 19th,and Caesars Indiana gave them a room adjoining our suite. The limo ride to the track and watching the races from the suite was a special treat. The suite at the hotel was spacious and well appointed. The 7 Stars basket was comparable with Caesars Palace, but with a down home theme (chips and candy bars in addition to the fruits). Some of the food and the drinks were replenished, something Caesars Palace doesn’t do. The mattress was almost too firm. The room was clean and neat with the exception of a crunchy looking wash cloth found behind the WC door. Since the hotel staff was so nice there, I snuck up on it with a used
towel and captured it for the maid rather than throwing a fit. The coffee service in the room was short on sugar, and when a request was
made of a housekeeper in the hall, a week’s supply appeared in the room.

Casino:
Complaints have been registered on this site that the casino is a mile away from the hotel. I would estimate the distance to be more like half a mile. There is shuttle service that will carry you about a third of that distance and the walk/ride is all indoors so it’s not like you have to walk a mile through 10 feet of snow, up hill both ways. Personally, I can use the quarter mile or so walk, but if you need assistance, it would be advisable to bring your electric scooter.

We had poor luck with the lower limit slots (penny to dollar). The $5 and up slots seem looser. The video poker machines in the high limits room don’t have the correct pay scale, but there are 6/9 quarter to dollar machines located on the first floor. Caesars Indiana has a great set up for the high limits rooms. They are located on the top floor right as you come onto the boat. The Diamond
Lounge is also located on that floor. All of the isles in the casino are wider than found on most “riverboat” casinos, which makes the casino seem less crowded, even during peak hours.

Caesars Indiana is different from some of the other Harrah’s properties in that they provide cash back at the casino. Don’t forget
to check at the Total Rewards counter for your gas money on the way out!

Diamond Lounge:
Very nice. I rank the Caesars Indiana Diamond Lounge 3rd behind the Diamond Lounge at Paris and the Seven Stars Lounge at Caesars Palace.
When we visited the Diamond Lounge, they did not provide desserts, but had hearty food like ham, fruits, and macaroni and cheese. The lounge is large, but has a cozy “social club” type atmosphere.

Personnel:
The personnel at Caesars Indiana is what brings this riverboat up to the level of the big Vegas casinos. Everyone is friendly – everyone. Security is adequate and they seem to be overstaffed in the high limits area. I observed only one problem while visiting Caesars Indiana and there were half a dozen security officers “assisting” the patron by the time I realized someone was having a problem. The front desk is extremely helpful. My experience with the casino host there - top notch.

The hand pays were slower than average and Valet Service was slow, which is the only real complaint I have about any of the staff at Caesars Indiana. Unless you need bell service, park on the roof of the Hotel Parking Garage. The entrance to the hotel is right around the corner from the hotel elevators.

Dinning:
The Friday night seafood buffet was recommended to me and it was great. If you are there on a Friday evening, that’s the place to be. The food at Legends Bar and Grill was not particularly good. There is a 24 hour café there which would most likely be a better choice.

We did not make use of the pool or spa facilities, nor did we do any shopping there.

Advice:
If you are just staying at the casino, there is little to do there but gamble, golf, swim, and watch TV. If you fly into Louisville for a few days stay at Caesars Indiana, rent a car. There are numerous small museums, the horse track, and various other attractions in the area. If you have difficulty walking a quarter to half a mile, bring your electric scooter.

The people at Caesars Indiana made us feel genuinely welcomed and appreciated – an increasingly rare commodity. I’ll Be Back!

The Caste System:
Everyone can earn a comp based on play. It's easier to earn comps playing the machines than the table games. There are several kiosks where you can check the balance on your Total Rewards Card to see whether you have earned a comp. There are Diamond and 7 Stars lines for the casino cages, the Total Rewards counter, and at the dinning facilities. People who don't like that, might consider a little loyalty to a place in order to EARN preferential treatment.

• Liked — Excellent Staff
  • Disliked — Walk to Casino
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2007

Rooms were nice....Casino was clean. It was a very, very long walk from the rooms to the Casino but you can occasionally get a golf cart ride if you cannot walk the distance and there are moving walkways. Machines were tight and didn't pay out. Nice hotel gift shop. The Cesear shops were fun to look through. The $10.00 shop was a huge hit. You can choose from room service, a buffet, a couple sit down restaurants and there are a couple cafe's/coffee shops. Nice pool and hot tub with outdoor patio.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Johnson City, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2006

Stayed here in December 2006 on a comped double/double room with my parents (in their 60's), who are the gamblers in the family.

We enjoyed this upscale hotel with comfy pillowtop mattresses and awesome feather pillows. The beds were double-sheeted. The room was smallish, but the bathroom was large and had the toilet area separated from the rest of the bathroom. The tv had a poor selection of channels (they want you to go to the casino!). There was no wireless internet access in rooms; wired access was $10.99/day (poor value — again, they want you in the casino). The indoor pool is located on ground level. There is a nice mile-long walking/jogging/exercise trail out back. The lobby has small coffee shop/bar, gift shop, and exercise room. There is an indoor shuttle from hotel to casino if you’d rather not walk (limited hours). The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. Check-in was quick and easy. Some rooms have a casino/river view (probably not that scenic), and the rest face the hill and field behind the hotel.

My parents did enjoy the slot machines, although they complained that the slots were tight and lost a little money. (They pride themselves on usually coming away at least a little ahead).

The three of us had one quick and easy dinner in the casino snack bar where my mother and I enjoyed the grilled chicken wraps. They were large and tasty and we thought they were a good value for the portion size.

Breakfast the next morning was a comped buffet, so I'm not sure of the cost. We liked that the beverages were included with the buffet and got huge glasses of orange juice and chocolate milk to go with it. We also got bottled tomato juice, and coffee, and were pleased with the beverage service. The breakfast buffet had a lot of variety including an omlette bar (however there was only one station so there was a bit of a line).

This hotel is located outside out Louisville, so I’d say it’s not a good option if you’re attending events in town. But for a weekend getaway or a casino getaway, it’s nice.

• Liked — The beds were great, loved the pillows.
  • Disliked — I was working in the room while my parents gambled, so I wanted a better selection of TV channels and free or cheap Internet access.
  • Tips/Secrets — Earn points while gambling to get comped rooms in the future.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
CINCINNATI OHIO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2006

caesars if indiana may have seen me for the last time

their slots are so tightt- one other trip advisor member said that their casino is for morons, i think i do agree now

you only see jackpots in the high roller

why dont they give you a chance if youre willing to play good money???

im going to Argosy and try the new French Lick

that will probably put Caesars out of business

• Disliked — hotel is fine
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2006

I took my 84 year old dad for the 4th of July weekend, and it was the worst trip we have ever had. The casino has to be a mile away from the hotel, and a shuttle is available only on weekends and not past 8 P.M. How do you enjoy yourself when it takes 30 minutes to get to the casino from the hotel, and then when you do get to the casino- you lose everything! I have never been to such a tight casino, and I have been to at least 30 different ones in the past couple of years. I will never go back, and I will advise all my friends to go anywhere but there!

• Stayed July 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2006

all though i never stayed there at the hotel i did do many many evenings gamming there, its my opinion its way better than any casino ive been to.its clean exciting, but there has been problems with some of the gamming employees, but as a whole it was way better than belterra and grand vic toria the slots were way looser ,then they, like bel terra and grand victoria tightened up the slots, i think ya cant get a dime from any of them without a blow torch ha ha, its true. the dealers at caesars were say not too honest but better than some at bel terra, personally im glad they sold out. the restaurants were great ,great service great food, great shops, great entertainment, its sad that caesars would hire people that wouldnt game right.sad realy. but as a whole its one of the better casinos .

Stayed July 2006
Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2006

Stayed at Caesars Indiana this past weekend. The hotel was ok, clean rooms and decent staff. The price we paid was a little more than I will pay again. For an average of $150 a night, you should get something more. However, there are not any other places to stay within 8-10 miles of this place, so its a supply and demand thing. At the Casino, there were no tables (BJ or Craps) under $10 bucks, which I thought was a little high, even for the weekend. I mean if your in Vegas, you can find a $5 craps game. That is the big thing to remember, THIS IS NOT VEGAS. If that is what your expecting then you will be disappointed. I would prefer to save $$$ and head to Vegas once or 2 times a year than go to this place, but I had to attend this past weekend. I did enjoy the Poker room, it was a good place to play for someone who has not played in a Casino before. All in all the dealers were friendly and I had a good time.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Horseshoe Southern Indiana? Share your experiences!