“Great Getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Horseshoe Southern Indiana

Save Saved
You added Horseshoe Southern Indiana to your Saves list
Horseshoe Southern Indiana
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11999 Casino Center Drive SE, Elizabeth, IN 47117 (Formerly Caesars Indiana Casino Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Elizabeth
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I have stayed here several times. It may be a 3.5-4 hour drive, but it is a nice place to getaway. Through the player's card program my room is comped. I have sometimes been charged a $10 early check-in fee. But this and last time I was not. The room was clean and good sized. Bathroom is large, clean and nice amenities. There was no safe in the room. Every other casino/hotel I have stayed has a room safe. Distance to casino is a very long walk. They do have a golf cart shuttle that cuts done on the walk considerably. Dinner at the Legends restaurant was poor. I will make a separate review of it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

368 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Hurricane, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay for the hard core gambler. Not much to do around the area for families but they do have a nice spa and the pool is indoor. Overall a nice place to visit and gamble. The rooms were standard and clean.

• Stayed October 2013
Hattiesburg, MS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We had an enjoyable, problem free two-night stay at this hotel-casino property. The Horseshoe brand replaced (about 2008) the original property name of Caesars-Indiana.

The property has evolved since my first visit in 2002. It is showing its age in some respects, but overall, the hotel and entertainment experience seems to be better than ever. I saw positive improvements in the number and types of restaurants and in the increase in smoke-free rooms and floors.

We were very impressed immediately upon arrival with the helpfulness of front desk and security people in getting us temporary use (complimentary) of a wheelchair. Our room was clean, quiet, and afforded good conditions for restful sleeping.

We were also impressed with the helpfulness and friendliness of the casino staff. (My casino experience at Horseshoe is reviewed separately under “things to do” in Elizabeth).

Overall, Horseshoe provides great value for the money. Our nightly charge at Horseshoe was the lowest of any place we stayed on our recent ten-day trip to Kentucky and Indiana. Moreover, the moderate rate became even lower by the use of my “player’s card,” which saved me about $20/night over the rack rate.

There exists a relatively long walk from the hotel to the restaurant-casino areas. (This situation arises from the need to have the hotel above the low-lying Ohio River floodplain). I actually enjoy the walk and look forward to the activity. For those preferring less walking, there is frequent shuttle service providing complimentary transportation from hotel to casino area.

I noticed an improvement in the shop and restaurant areas of the resort. Since my last visit they have added a Jack Binion’s steakhouse, an Asian restaurant, and a Graeter’s ice cream parlor. There was no operating buffet as the previous Paula Deen site had recently closed and the area was being remodeled for a new operation. (This was no loss to me as I avoid buffets whenever possible).

We had three dining experiences during our visit. We went to Legends for dinner the first night. It was better than I remembered from previous visits. Just had spicy chicken wings, tossed salad, and a beer. Later I stopped by Graeter’s for an ice cream sundae. Delicious and very generous serving. Third experience was at Jack Binion’s on our last night. This experience (quite good) is discussed separately as a restaurant review.

Our total experience at the resort was good and well above average. We look forward to another stay on our next trip back to the Kentucky-Indiana area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Parma, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed on a quick over night . Room was comped so price was right. Found the entrance to the hotel confusing. You would expect the hotel check in to be on the same level you pull in. Not here. Check in was fast and friendly. Room was large and clean. Bathroom also large and clean. Big new TV mini fridge nice bedding and towels. In the light of day in the morning the room showed its age.Thought maybe some previous posters were exagerating about the walk not so. I have walked all over every las Vegas casino and have never walked that far to get to a machine. Gambling is across 4 floors. Wasn't too crowded but smokey and the areas around the machines was dirty. Floor 1 non smoking and much cleaner and more pleasant. Did not eat there so can't comment. Seemed like a nice variety of restaurants. Overall would not make aspecial trip back but would use again as a quick stopover.

• Stayed September 2013
Bradenton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

The entire place needs more spunk. Long walk to casino, businesses are closed up, only one restaurant besides their steak house. Went to legends restaurant for dinner and it was okay, so we ordered room service for breakfast. By far the best room service ever..... I give the room service a 10. Fast, fresh and so amazingly flavorful. Best breakfast pizza in the world. Stay just for that, but the gambling is good also:)

Stayed September 2013
Champaign
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

The room was great, beds were great, all hotel staff were great. Only complaint I have is that it is a long walk from hotel to casino. They run a golf cart shuttle but it only takes you halfway. Way too far. Not for the aged or infirm. I am used to great places in Las Vegas where we just get on the elevator to go down to the casino.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Marco Island, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Have stayed here in the past and was always very nice but it seems to be back sliding. We stayed on the No Smoking Floor and the entire floor smelled like the smoking floor of the casino as did the room. When we got to the room the air was off and the room was very warm, this side of hot. Bathroom could have used housekeeping. Hard to miss all the black hair in the tub and on the floor. Wife says last time for us as she hated the smell of the smoke to say nothing of the hairy bathroom. Called the desk and got disconnected three times and then when I did get through and had a question about billing they gave me an 866 number. Lacking service for sure!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Horseshoe Southern Indiana? Share your experiences!