“Revisit to Old Reliable Property” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Horseshoe Southern Indiana

Save Saved
You added Horseshoe Southern Indiana to your Saves list
Horseshoe Southern Indiana
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11999 Casino Center Drive SE, Elizabeth, IN 47117 (Formerly Caesars Indiana Casino Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Elizabeth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hattiesburg, MS
“Revisit to Old Reliable Property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We had an enjoyable, problem free two-night stay at this hotel-casino property. The Horseshoe brand replaced (about 2008) the original property name of Caesars-Indiana.

The property has evolved since my first visit in 2002. It is showing its age in some respects, but overall, the hotel and entertainment experience seems to be better than ever. I saw positive improvements in the number and types of restaurants and in the increase in smoke-free rooms and floors.

We were very impressed immediately upon arrival with the helpfulness of front desk and security people in getting us temporary use (complimentary) of a wheelchair. Our room was clean, quiet, and afforded good conditions for restful sleeping.

We were also impressed with the helpfulness and friendliness of the casino staff. (My casino experience at Horseshoe is reviewed separately under “things to do” in Elizabeth).

Overall, Horseshoe provides great value for the money. Our nightly charge at Horseshoe was the lowest of any place we stayed on our recent ten-day trip to Kentucky and Indiana. Moreover, the moderate rate became even lower by the use of my “player’s card,” which saved me about $20/night over the rack rate.

There exists a relatively long walk from the hotel to the restaurant-casino areas. (This situation arises from the need to have the hotel above the low-lying Ohio River floodplain). I actually enjoy the walk and look forward to the activity. For those preferring less walking, there is frequent shuttle service providing complimentary transportation from hotel to casino area.

I noticed an improvement in the shop and restaurant areas of the resort. Since my last visit they have added a Jack Binion’s steakhouse, an Asian restaurant, and a Graeter’s ice cream parlor. There was no operating buffet as the previous Paula Deen site had recently closed and the area was being remodeled for a new operation. (This was no loss to me as I avoid buffets whenever possible).

We had three dining experiences during our visit. We went to Legends for dinner the first night. It was better than I remembered from previous visits. Just had spicy chicken wings, tossed salad, and a beer. Later I stopped by Graeter’s for an ice cream sundae. Delicious and very generous serving. Third experience was at Jack Binion’s on our last night. This experience (quite good) is discussed separately as a restaurant review.

Our total experience at the resort was good and well above average. We look forward to another stay on our next trip back to the Kentucky-Indiana area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

366 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Parma, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed on a quick over night . Room was comped so price was right. Found the entrance to the hotel confusing. You would expect the hotel check in to be on the same level you pull in. Not here. Check in was fast and friendly. Room was large and clean. Bathroom also large and clean. Big new TV mini fridge nice bedding and towels. In the light of day in the morning the room showed its age.Thought maybe some previous posters were exagerating about the walk not so. I have walked all over every las Vegas casino and have never walked that far to get to a machine. Gambling is across 4 floors. Wasn't too crowded but smokey and the areas around the machines was dirty. Floor 1 non smoking and much cleaner and more pleasant. Did not eat there so can't comment. Seemed like a nice variety of restaurants. Overall would not make aspecial trip back but would use again as a quick stopover.

• Stayed September 2013
Bradenton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

The entire place needs more spunk. Long walk to casino, businesses are closed up, only one restaurant besides their steak house. Went to legends restaurant for dinner and it was okay, so we ordered room service for breakfast. By far the best room service ever..... I give the room service a 10. Fast, fresh and so amazingly flavorful. Best breakfast pizza in the world. Stay just for that, but the gambling is good also:)

Stayed September 2013
Champaign
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

The room was great, beds were great, all hotel staff were great. Only complaint I have is that it is a long walk from hotel to casino. They run a golf cart shuttle but it only takes you halfway. Way too far. Not for the aged or infirm. I am used to great places in Las Vegas where we just get on the elevator to go down to the casino.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Marco Island, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Have stayed here in the past and was always very nice but it seems to be back sliding. We stayed on the No Smoking Floor and the entire floor smelled like the smoking floor of the casino as did the room. When we got to the room the air was off and the room was very warm, this side of hot. Bathroom could have used housekeeping. Hard to miss all the black hair in the tub and on the floor. Wife says last time for us as she hated the smell of the smoke to say nothing of the hairy bathroom. Called the desk and got disconnected three times and then when I did get through and had a question about billing they gave me an 866 number. Lacking service for sure!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stopped off in Elizabeth, IN on our way home from Chicago. What a wonderful room, hospitality and the staff was downright kind. We loved our room. It was grand! No, we're not high rollers but we had a hoot in the casino. We'll go back and definitely recommend it to our friends. Oh and while there, stop by Binions for dinner. Although we did not eat there this time, in the past it has been great! Happy Travels!

Room Tip: We stayed on the seventh floor and the a/c seemed quieter. We asked for a king, non-smoking and the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Scottsville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Ok so we are not high rollers by no means and we gamble when we have saved enough to go. We love Horseshoe In. And always receive free rooms,,which helps if you have to drive very far. We appreciate that,,,,,but we just returned from our last visit to see Ron White and it was awsome! We then went to gamble and stayed gambling till breakfast time (from 11till around 9:30 ) After eating we decidded to gamble some more,,I went to 2nd floor to a machine I love to play but the chair was pushed up and a card was in it,,so I waited 10-15min no one showed up so I asked the attendant what was up,,she said give more time so same amount of time and finally guy shows up saying he is trying to get more money?? And would the attendant (lock) out the slot cause it looked like that lady (me) wanted to play it,,duh,,well she did and he came back later and said well I guess I have to give it to you cause I can't get anymore money,,,,,so HE unlocks the machine and all the while I am playing he is coming up and telling me what i will win and standing there comenting the whole time,,I got up and left,,,I called two days later to ask if this was policy and was told HIGH ROLLERS can have this done,, he said attendant could tell by the card,, i said high roller had no money but I did,,he said thats just how it is,,,,just my point being if all us that gamble when we can afford to but are treated so, ,its the little poeple that make up the most gamers so, ,ok so my feeling were hurt and my money wasn't as good as the money he couldn't even get,,,that sucks. All the good times we have had make this very hurtful experience.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Horseshoe Southern Indiana? Share your experiences!