“First class lodging but bring your walking shoes!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Horseshoe Southern Indiana

You added Horseshoe Southern Indiana to your Saves list
Horseshoe Southern Indiana
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11999 Casino Center Drive SE, Elizabeth, IN 47117 (Formerly Caesars Indiana Casino Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elizabeth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago
“First class lodging but bring your walking shoes!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I've stayed at this property since they transitioned from Caesar's to Horseshoe. Staff is always courteous no matter what level player's card holder - and I've been both extremes.
Beds are probably among the top two in any hotel I've stayed. That goes for all the higher end Harrah's properties. Plenty of pillows. Roomy bathroom with separate toilet area making it a bit easier to share the bathroom space when you're traveling with a companion. Have to note that the room I stayed in was the cleanest room I've EVER stayed in! Everything sparkled. Shower is hot and forceful. Modern furnishings, flat screen TV, fridge, coffee maker.
The hotel to casino is a LONG walk. Golf cart shuttles help get you to the shopping/dining area but do not run 24x7. That quarter mile or so walk in high heels can be brutal. Yes, there is a conveyor walkway for a portion of the walk but you first have to get to it.
Since my rooms have always been comp'd, I really can't complain about anything though there are a few things that were irksome.
* Two bath gels and no shampoo/conditioner. The bottles look alike so it's a easy mistake but nothing you can do once you've got your clothes off and the shower running. Fortunate that I had a bottle in my case.
* Dry cleaner bag missing. Comes in handy when I forget to bring something to separate my smokey clothes from the clean clothes in my luggage.
* CHILDREN! - AIEEE I don't go to a casino resort expecting grade schoolers to be running in the halls. At Disney, yes, at a casino, no. Front desk said kids are only disallowed on the smoking floors. So you have to pick which thing annoys you more; screaming/giggly 8 yr olds or cigarette smoke. On the plus side, security did come promptly to the floor and informed their granny that they had to refrain from running in the halls.
* WiFi is roughly $15 for 24 hours unless you're a 7-Star. I work while on the road and have an internet hot spot, but it's impossible to get a signal so I'm left with paying or using the lone computer in the shared lobby area. VERY slow - but you get what you paid for. Just seems silly that most every fast food restaurant has free WiFi but Harrah's continues to ding you.
* Use caution driving in the hotel parking deck as the "dip" in the ramp always bottoms out my car. Parking garage is a bit dark.
* You go to the Horseshoe to make THAT your destination. It's in the middle of nothing!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the cleanup crew staging area as it can get a bit noisy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Horseshoe Casino presents itself well whether you are a casual traveller or a High Roller. I find that the property is kept immmaculately clean and the staff are consistently efficient, courteous and friendly. There is a good variety of restaurants from which to choose all of which have excellent food and service although the prices can be on the high side of normal. If you are a budget traveller, then booking a room on a Sunday through Tuesday night can save you about 40% off the weekend rates. I enjoyed my stay and will definitely be back again.

Room Tip: Always specify your preference for a smoking or a non-smoking room when booking your stay. The prope...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Gainesville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have stayed here several times over the last few months (all nights comped but one) to redeem a Total Rewards mail offer. I have found the employees nothing but great, and a very nice and comfortable room each time. Great mattresses and good water pressure in the shower. Large area in the lot to park my tractor trailer, and very secure with security riding by and cameras everywhere. I didn't get there early enough for the restaurants, but the Aroma cafe has one of the best burgers i've had in years. Great staff there as well, they should be recognized. It is a walk to the casino, but it is a riverboat so not a problem. Overall, excellent and i look forward to coming back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Terre Haute, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was rudely approached by their employees and they said I was drinking too much and seen me stumble when I had only had 3 cranberry and vodkas. They were just horrible people and they refused to provide reason as to why they were approaching me like they were and they refused to give me their names. I was not in the least bit drunk and I was and am very offended. Not only that there were tons of bachelorette parties going on there that were very loud and obnoxious but yet no one said anything to them!
I will not go back! So if youre wanting to go have fun with your friends and let loose dont choose the horseshoe!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Elizabeth hotels

Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed here traveling from Texas to Indiana. Didn't have enough comps for a room, so the price was a little steep for the room I thought. We couldn't believe the walk from the hotel to the casino; however, they do have a shuttle to take you half way. That certainly helps and it runs every 3 or 4 min. so you don't really have to wait. The casino is very broken up over 4 decks, but there are escalators to take you to each floor, or an elevator if you prefer. You are captive here since it is all alone in the area, so you have to eat here & the restaurants are a little pricey, but they do have a "snack area" on one of the floors of the casino & the food is pretty good & OK for a meal. Of course, like all other Indiana casinos I think, you have to pay for alcoholic drinks in the casino &as we usually go to Louisiana or Nevada or Mississippi & get drinks for just a tip in those casinos, I get a little annoyed having to pay for a drink. We will not return to this hotel.

Grand Rapids, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stay one night on our way through Indiana. The hotel was nice and we had a comped room, so the price was right. The rooms are very nice and comfy, but I have to say there were several disappointments.
I had read several reviews where people complained about the long walk to the casino. We were able to catch a ride with a man who had a golf cart to shuttle us back and forth. That was really nice and be sure to tip him for this service. We found the restaurants to be generous in portions, but a little expensive. Realizing they have a captive audience once you are there, they should rethink this strategy. The casino was a big disappointment with the size being small because it is chopped up on four decks, and the variety of machines. Poor selection, unless you play just slots. We prefer video poker and the selection is very limited.
We did appreciate the no smoking deck.
We probably would not stay again, but look for alternative destinations in the future.

Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My wife and I have stopped at the Horseshoe several times in the past to hit the casino, but hadn't stayed until this visit. And we were not disappointed.

We were given a King room, overlooking the nature preserve behind the hotel, and we loved the location. No rooftops, just lush greenery. It was a Sunday night, and the room was very quiet, and we heard absolutely nothing once the door was closed. Very peaceful.

The room itself was very comfortble, along the lines of other Caesars properties we've visited in the past. I loved the 46" flat screen, as I wanted to watch the Women's NCAA finals. The mattress was quite cushy, and both of us slept very well.

The "water closet" being separated from the bathroom by a door was a little claustrophobic, but I could deal with it.

As with almost every Caesar property we've visited, the staff was very friendly and helpful, and it always makes a big difference in the overall experience to us.

The walk to the casino from the hotel almost makes you feel as if you're in Vegas...... a long, long way! Thank goodness for the moving walkways, or we would've flagged down the gentleman with the golf cart for a ride to and from.

We are both slot players, and my wife likes the selection of games. They only have one of my favorite machines, and I had to wait a bit for it, but the other players in the area helped to make the wait fly, good conversation all around. My wife did pretty well, but me, not so much. However, we don't go to win, we just hope our budget will last awhile, and it did. The drink service, though not "free" for alcohol, was quick and friendly. Gotta love being able to order from the slot machine.

We've eaten before at the Paula Dean Buffet, but we skipped it this time in favor of a couple burgers to take back to the room and eat while watching the basketball game. The grill, JB's, is fairly inexpensive, and the food is tasty.

As we pulled away, we both commented that it was surprising we'd never stayed the night before, but would definitely make it a point to on subsequent visits.

(It's only fair to mention that our room was complimentary, but even for the regular rate of $116, it would've been worth it.)

Room Tip: We enjoyed being on the backside of the hotel, facing the nature preserve. It looks as if you wante...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Horseshoe Southern Indiana? Share your experiences!