“Sanctuary” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Horseshoe Southern Indiana

Save Saved
You added Horseshoe Southern Indiana to your Saves list
Horseshoe Southern Indiana
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11999 Casino Center Drive SE, Elizabeth, IN 47117 (Formerly Caesars Indiana Casino Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Elizabeth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, IL
“Sanctuary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My wife and I have stopped at the Horseshoe several times in the past to hit the casino, but hadn't stayed until this visit. And we were not disappointed.

We were given a King room, overlooking the nature preserve behind the hotel, and we loved the location. No rooftops, just lush greenery. It was a Sunday night, and the room was very quiet, and we heard absolutely nothing once the door was closed. Very peaceful.

The room itself was very comfortble, along the lines of other Caesars properties we've visited in the past. I loved the 46" flat screen, as I wanted to watch the Women's NCAA finals. The mattress was quite cushy, and both of us slept very well.

The "water closet" being separated from the bathroom by a door was a little claustrophobic, but I could deal with it.

As with almost every Caesar property we've visited, the staff was very friendly and helpful, and it always makes a big difference in the overall experience to us.

The walk to the casino from the hotel almost makes you feel as if you're in Vegas...... a long, long way! Thank goodness for the moving walkways, or we would've flagged down the gentleman with the golf cart for a ride to and from.

We are both slot players, and my wife likes the selection of games. They only have one of my favorite machines, and I had to wait a bit for it, but the other players in the area helped to make the wait fly, good conversation all around. My wife did pretty well, but me, not so much. However, we don't go to win, we just hope our budget will last awhile, and it did. The drink service, though not "free" for alcohol, was quick and friendly. Gotta love being able to order from the slot machine.

We've eaten before at the Paula Dean Buffet, but we skipped it this time in favor of a couple burgers to take back to the room and eat while watching the basketball game. The grill, JB's, is fairly inexpensive, and the food is tasty.

As we pulled away, we both commented that it was surprising we'd never stayed the night before, but would definitely make it a point to on subsequent visits.

(It's only fair to mention that our room was complimentary, but even for the regular rate of $116, it would've been worth it.)

Room Tip: We enjoyed being on the backside of the hotel, facing the nature preserve. It looks as if you wante...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

361 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The hotel was very nice. The rooms were large and clean and well kept. Very happy with the hotel room, not so happy with the hotel policy. Ridiculous,,, they want to charge you an extra $11 to check in before 4 pm. Instead of just letting us check in when we got there, about 2pm, (and the room was ready, because they said they could check us in, for the extra $11),they want to charge to have your luggage sit in a room for an extra 2 hours. Sorry...not happening. They would have made more money than $11 off of us, if we had spent that extra time in their casino, instead of us taking our luggage back to the car...going to the casino for about an hour, going retrieving the luggage again, and waiting to check in, with all the others who obviously refused the bizare $11 early check in fee too. This probably cut more than an hour out of our casino time, which is a very TIGHT casino in regards to their slot machines. BTW...we were all decided this is NOT the casino for us, in regards to slot payment. On the way home, we stopped at Kentucky Downs, and made back some of the money lost in Indiana, which was quite a bit. If you only play slots, I recommend some place like Kentucky Downs, as opposed to the "Harrah's" empire, if you don't want to leave feeling like all you did was feed the machines.
Sorry, the property was nice, clean, and the employees were friendly...but not my choice for a good Casino experience. I have actually heard this from others I knew who visited there before. And yes...it's quite a hike (about 10 minutes from the hotel to the Casino).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Horseshoe to attend a concert held there. The king room was a basic hotel room with a very small fridge but no safe. The bathroom was nice and clean. The walk to the casino was not that far and a non-issue for us. We ate at the Paula Deen Buffet and it was okay. The prime rib was awful and some of the food was kind of generic tasting. They did charge us an extra $11 for checking in earlier than 4:00 which I thought was kind of tacky. In all we had a nice time but would not want to stay any longer than one night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
LAKEWOOD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Having stayed at many other Caesars' properties, I have to say this one was average to below average. I am accustomed to Caesars having very comfortable bedding. This was very mediocre. And you are only given one very thin blanket (more like a duvet). This meant I had to turn up the heat and wake up hopelessy dry every morning (but don't drink that $4 water!). I will say the water pressure was excellent. And when we discovered we had a fridge, we picked up some soft drinks the next day and had our own. It is a hike to the casino, but there are moving walkways and nice men in golf carts (inside) to give you a ride. I will say, all the staff here were the most friendly I have ever met. They must have a 10 foot rule and they actually follow it. I never passed a staff member who didn't greet me. And a $2 tip to the valet at check in prompted a response like I'd given him a sack of gold. Not sure about the previous review about rude valet...we were offered help with our luggage and told to take our time getting our stuff. And this was on a Friday afternoon, so it wasn't exactly dead. If I was going to be in the area again, I'd stay here. But I don't think I would make a special trip here again.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms overlook the river
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New Bremen, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

First dont book through Hotels.com/Expedia - I booked a room with King size bed - when we arrived on Thursday - was told by Horseshoe that the reservations were not guaranteed for a "certain" room and I had to take a room with two queen size beds. The rooms were clean, refriderator didnt work - but there were two big Dasani water bottles out that we could have enjoyed "warm" at a cost of $4.00. The walk to the resteraunts showed a very "expensive" steak resteraunt, Paula Deen Buffet or the "sports bar Legends" - that night we could not get past the choking odor of "smokers" coming from Legends and the Casino - we opted for Paula Deen - very expensive roughtly 65.00 for two buffets and two bud lights - food was not good - very bland. Tried Legends the next night - better - (once we got past the smokers. Prices still too much. Horseshoe would not offer any type of compensation for the room and neither would Expedia. I will never book at this hotel again and never again through Expedia/Hotel.com.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thurmont, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

While visiting family for a few days in Elizabethtown, KY, I had the opportunity to stay @ the "Boat" compliments of the Total Rewards program. If your visiting in the Louisville area, and want to stay away from the hustle and bustle of downtown, the "Boat" to me is an excellent choice. The room was very large in size and very clean. The bedding was very comfortable, and the bathroom area was clean and huge, with plenty of hot water and water pressure. The only issue with the room was the lack of a closet. The hotel is a good distance from the casino, but that makes for a quite stay. The staff was very friendly and attentive, and if your looking to gamble they provide a shuttle over to the casino area, where you'll also find some very fine dining and entertainment. Self parking in the parking garage @ the hotel is free and valet parking is available.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
spartanburg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Valet was a joke. Arrived yesterday, the valet jumps in the car. I said hold up, I need my luggage and other stuff. I asked for a luggage cart, he said there aren't any. I asked for a bell hop, he said go up a floor and check in you can get one. I'm chasing luggage that was rolling around the parking lot due to high winds. Got the luggage under control as he is ready to take off. I said wait I need stuff still. He said "in case you haven't noticed we are having 40 mile an hour winds, I'm just sitting here staying warm". There is a water ban, the hotel gives you 2 bottles of water as a courtesy. Tried to get coffee at Aroma this am. No coffee due to ban, I asked if there were other options, she pointed to a cooler. These are just 2 of the rude employees I have ran into but it does seem to be a standard in this hotel. The rooms are clean but in need of some maintenance.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Horseshoe Southern Indiana? Share your experiences!